Week 1: Westwood Panthers @ Alto Yellowjackets - 8/30

StingEmALTO

Week 1: Westwood Panthers @ Alto Yellowjackets - 8/30  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Game 1: Who wins the season opener?

• Westwood
    • Alto

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/31/2019 at 01:00 AM

Sorry I couldn’t post during the game fellas. Anyway, we had entirely too many penalties tonight. I’ll say probably the most penalized game that I can remember. I will attribute most to some of the youngsters just getting their 1st taste of the grand stage. They will get it fixed. The ones we absolutely cannot have though are the big ones (those 15 yarders with a new set of downs variety) and there were several that were just too costly tonight. One in particular put WW at the 1 with a fresh set of downs and led to a score after we just broke up a 4th down pass.  Those hurt and can swing momentum in a hurry. But a win is a win and we will take being 1-0 right now for sure. All in all, I like what I saw out of the kids in terms of physicality and I thought the play calling and defensive scheme was very good. We just gotta build and also learn from this one. We’ll be fine.  

I’m glad this game is over. I’m relieved and tired. It was exhausting to watch. Lol TOO MANY penalties like Swarm said. Wow. I was just glad to get out with a W. I’ll take an ugly win over a loss any day. We have to clean things up. (It’s hard for me to believe we were the only ones getting penalties....it seemed that way! Lol That Longview crew.....good grief. Flag happy suckers. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game with that many flags!)

Not taking anything away from Westwood. I thought they had a good team. The QB threw some nice pass completions and their defense was pretty good. I think they’ll win some games this year.

Next up: Timpson

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

Thanks, Wolf! That SA score was something else! Guess y’all could've tried for 96 like Newton! 😂 

Congrats to Coach Murr and crew! Y’all have a bye next week?

We would have passed that if they didnt start running the clock in the 2nd qtr.  Lol

Bye is next week then we go to Garrison

1 hour ago, SAWolfman said:

We would have passed that if they didnt start running the clock in the 2nd qtr.  Lol

Bye is next week then we go to Garrison

2nd quarter, that was quick! I saw footage on the Red Zone. Looks like NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE from Big Sandy made the long drive. Not even the band....unless they were just late. Those boys probably felt defeated before they got off the bus just from seeing the “crowd.” Why did y’all meet halfway last year but not this year? That IS a long way to go!

Just now, upullinmychain said:

That don't seem to make foolish mistakes and the defense was solid best I could tell, played very disciplined football on both sides of the ball. Good kids.

Sorry y’all took one on the chin. Time to regroup and get after those Tigers!

Just now, StingEmALTO said:

Sorry y’all took one on the chin. Time to regroup and get after those Tigers!

Might have been the best thing that could have happened, sometimes ya gotta get dusted to find out how hard you can become. We'll see next week against Troup. I saw two weaknesses maybe three last night in our defense. Two of those weaknesses can be corrected quickly in practice, the third I'm not so sure about with available personnel, maybe the youngster that becomes eligible Monday can contribute to that resolution.. Our boys are just gonna hafta get salty and play with more discipline.. Chain out.. 

• Like 1

Alto holds on to edge Palestine Westwood, 28-20

ALTO — It looked like Alto was on its way to a season opening blow out at halftime, but Palestine Westwood had other ideas.

The Yellowjackets managed to hold on late to stop the upset-minded Panthers 28-20 on Friday evening at Cam'Ron Matthews Field at Jacket Stadium.

Alto led 22-7 at the break, but the Panthers made a game of it in the final half. It has now been 46 years since Westwood last beat Alto.

69054BD0-B72A-4BA4-B495-8BD5D2641849.jpeg

1 hour ago, StingEmALTO said:

2nd quarter, that was quick! I saw footage on the Red Zone. Looks like NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE from Big Sandy made the long drive. Not even the band....unless they were just late. Those boys probably felt defeated before they got off the bus just from seeing the “crowd.” Why did y’all meet halfway last year but not this year? That IS a long way to go!

It got a little better.  They fought hard though and didnt quit.  We met in Beckville last year.

• Thanks 1