MavGrad's Week 1 Preview (2019)

Coach Rab

On 7/24/2019 at 9:55 PM, WETSU said:

The whole thing was to assume you have to stay at 4 teams... 

So you’re saying the top 4 bcs formula teams enter a 4 team playoff? I agree I like that better than a committee. 

As long as you exclude teams that don't win their own conference.

3 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I do think the conference champions need to be included if there is expansion.  Make winning your conference a priority.  Then have three at large bids from the three highest ranked non champions.

But I don’t think a team from the sunbelt should get in with a 8-4 record just because they won that league. Especially if one of those losses is a blowout by the fifth place team from a Power 5. Example: let’s say FAU loses three more games this year, but wins the AAC (or whatever conference they’ in) at 8-4, including their blowout loss to Ohio state, who finishes 9-3 and doesn’t make the big 10 championship game. Do the owls get in? IMO, they shouldn’t. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

But I don’t think a team from the sunbelt should get in with a 8-4 record just because they won that league. Especially if one of those losses is a blowout by the fifth place team from a Power 5. Example: let’s say FAU loses three more games this year, but wins the AAC (or whatever conference they’ in) at 8-4, including their blowout loss to Ohio state, who finishes 9-3 and doesn’t make the big 10 championship game. Do the owls get in? IMO, they shouldn’t. 

Agree with trueblue 

On 9/2/2019 at 8:17 AM, trueblue82 said:

P5 conferences only.  I assumed that was understood, sorry

If UCf or Boise are of the highest ranked three to fill in the remaining 3 spots, so be it

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

P5 conferences only.  I assumed that was understood, sorry

Only including power 5 champions isn’t any different than the system we have now. If you’re going to toot that conference champion horn, it needs to be for them all. Because the pac 12 might not be any better than the conference Houston is in quite honestly. 

1 minute ago, WETSU said:

Only including power 5 champions isn’t any different than the system we have now. If you’re going to toot that conference champion horn, it needs to be for them all. Because the pac 12 might not be any better than the conference Houston is in quite honestly. 

Then they’ll be the first one out.  

3 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

So the Big12 was the only conference that went undefeated this past weekend. Not sure that says much but it happened. 

There is another fun stat to go along with that...The Big 12 is the only conference where a member did not play a ranked team and only one team played a P5 opponent. OU, Texas, and OKST are the only teams to play FBS teams.

Just to even things out...Ole Miss lost to Memphis...Tennessee lost to Georgia State...Mizzou lost to Wyoming...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, topher805 said:

There is another fun stat to go along with that...The Big 12 is the only conference where a member did not play a ranked team and only one team played a P5 opponent. OU, Texas, and OKST are the only teams to play FBS teams.

Just to even things out...Ole Miss lost to Memphis...Tennessee lost to Georgia State...Mizzou lost to Wyoming...

So.... the big 12 fan bases trash sec fans for saying positive things about their conference, the big 12 plays virtually the easiest schedule of week 1, then props their conference up for doing well? Makes total sense. 

23 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Bama is a 54.5 favorite this week. My gosh that's a lot of points

That insane. You could probably put them up against any of the top 6a teams in the state and get a lower spread. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, WETSU said:

So.... the big 12 fan bases trash sec fans for saying positive things about their conference, the big 12 plays virtually the easiest schedule of week 1, then props their conference up for doing well? Makes total sense. 

Who is propping up the big 12..? 

7 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Who is propping up the big 12..? 

The fact that we are even talking conferences. Big 12 fans are allowed to say things like “the big 12 was the only conference to go undefeated” and nobody bats an eye. If an sec fan says the same thing next week, it will be “why does A&M take pride in riding the coattails of Alabama” or something like that. 

Im simply saying you guys who trash the sec fans for referring to conference play, then refer to conference play about the big 12 afterwards are being hypocritical. I personally don’t think there’s a problem in what was said, but don’t trash sec fans for doing it then do it yourselves. 

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, WETSU said:

The fact that we are even talking conferences. Big 12 fans are allowed to say things like “the big 12 was the only conference to go undefeated” and nobody bats an eye. If an sec fan says the same thing next week, it will be “why does A&M take pride in riding the coattails of Alabama” or something like that. 

Im simply saying you guys who trash the sec fans for referring to conference play, then refer to conference play about the big 12 afterwards are being hypocritical. I personally don’t think there’s a problem in what was said, but don’t trash sec fans for doing it then do it yourselves. 

“The big 12 was the only conference that went undefeated this past weekend. Not sure that says much, but it happened”, that triggered you? 

We all know that means nothing in the grand scheme of things. In fact, I don’t even think that’s boastful. It’s just stating a fact that again, means nothing, but it’s true. If that seriously triggers you then get some tougher skin pal. Geez. 

And I don’t know a single “big 12 fan” so I’m not really sure who we are talking about here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Brah, it was just a random fact from the weekend. There was no boasting conference pride chest thumping. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Brah, it was just a random fact from the weekend. There was no boasting conference pride chest thumping. 

Same. I don't give a rat's ### if the rest of the conference wins a single game. I only care that we win all of ours. 

It was an interesting Week 1 factoid. But meaningless in the scheme of things. 

15 minutes ago, AKA said:

Same. I don't give a rat's ### if the rest of the conference wins a single game. I only care that we win all of ours. 

Then why post it? Why not post the factoid about the big 12 being the only conference to not play a ranked opponent? 

You guys are full of it if you think that wasn’t a underhand shot at the big 12 as a whole performing well. If you don’t care how other teams do, then the factoid is irrelevant to you. Like not even register in your brain irrelevant. But deep down you guys do want your schedule to perform well unless it’s against your own team. It’s foolish to think otherwise. Because sos matters. It matters to the committee. There is no shame in wanting your sos to be high, which means rooting for the teams on that schedule to do well. It’s not rocket science. 

18 hours ago, AKA said:

Of course. Conference pride doesn’t mean anything to Texas or OU. 

18 hours ago, WETSU said:

Then why post it? Why not post the factoid about the big 12 being the only conference to not play a ranked opponent? 

You guys are full of it if you think that wasn’t a underhand shot at the big 12 as a whole performing well. If you don’t care how other teams do, then the factoid is irrelevant to you. Like not even register in your brain irrelevant. But deep down you guys do want your schedule to perform well unless it’s against your own team. It’s foolish to think otherwise. Because sos matters. It matters to the committee. There is no shame in wanting your sos to be high, which means rooting for the teams on that schedule to do well. It’s not rocket science. 

Well I posted it because I saw a tweet. Texas or OU don’t need to care about how the conference does because if they win they’ll be in, much like Clemson. 

It also doesn’t matter to those teams for recruiting as they are able to recruit very well despite playing in probably the 3rd and 4th best conferences. 

You think a 1 loss Big12 Champion, ACC Champion, or Pac12 champion  team is getting left out of the playoffs? Of course not. 

If your team plans on winning a P5 conference then who cares what the other teams do? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Sorry dude. You're wrong on every point, as far as I'm concerned. But hey, you do you. 

24 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Topher posted that factoid above. You can go read it, I mean, it’s not rocket science. 

Bottom line is, this conference stuff might matter to you, but it doesn’t matter much to us, if at all. I was rooting for OU to lose last night (sorry AKA and Val) I was screaming at the tv yesterday for UNI to beat Iowa State yesterday. OU and Texas don’t need to rest of the big 12 to be good. They just need to win their games. But I appreciate the effort in you trying to tell me how I’m suppose to feel towards the big 12. It was a nice try.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

17 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

I was rooting for OU to lose last night (sorry AKA and Val)...

Lol, no offense taken. Doesn't matter to me if UT loses every game. 😁

The idea that any UT fan would celebrate OUr wins is hilarious to me. UT (or Baylor, or Tech, or etc.) gains nothing from OU's recent Big XII dominance. 

How it looks to me when someone celebrates a conference opponent's win:

e8d89251-44db-42b9-b7f5-37c1f0c517ae_tex

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1