Week Two: Marshall at Longview

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (1-0) vs Marshall Mavericks (0-1)  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Marshall in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/07/2019 at 12:30 AM

longview.pngmarshall.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (1-0, 0-0) VS MARSHALL MAVERICKS (0-1, 0-0)

DATE: Friday, September 6th, 2019
TIME: 7:30 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
MARSHALL BROADCAST: 103.9 FM KMHT

longview.pngLOBOS LEAD SERIES 61-42-5 longview.png

The Mavericks have a 17-16-2 lead when the game is a non-district contest.
The Lobos have a 45-25-3 lead when the game is a district contest.
The two schools have never played a playoff contest.
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 30-14-3 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The Lobos have a 30-28-2 lead when the game is played at Marshall.
Longview has won the last three meetings with the Mavericks.
Longview is 16-4-0 all-time against Marshall at Lobo Stadium (new), with the Lobos winning the last eight meetings there.
Longview is 1-0-0 when the game is played on September 6th

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
09.07.2018 - Longview 60, Marshall 14 - Maverick Stadium
09.08.2017 - Longview 41, Marshall 7 - Lobo Stadium
09.02.2016 - Longview 56, Marshall 7 - Maverick Stadium
10.09.2015 - Marshall 28, Longview 25 - Maverick Stadium
10.10.2014 - Longview 56, Marshall 13 - Lobo Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
Champions find ways to win. Coming into the season, Longview's Haynes King was all the talk about this 2019 Lobo squad. After week one against Lufkin, all the talk is about how impressive the defense was. The Lobos, despite a less than stellar performance from King, relied on the defense in the fourth quarter to bring home the win and they did just that. After stopping Lufkin on a 3 and out, the Lobos fumbled a punt on their own side of the field. Two drives later, including having given up another turnover with under 3 minutes to go, the Lobo defense bowed and brought home Longview's just second win at Abe Martin Stadium since 1997. The 24-21 win improved Longview to 1-0 on the season, giving them their 4th consecutive win over their arch rival Lufkin and also extended a winning streak that stretched back to last season's 16-0 State Championship squad. Longview also improved to 99-24 in this decade, a school record for wins within a decade. With the week one victory, the Lobos now welcome another long time rival to their home opener in the Marshall Mavericks. Marshall came in extremely high in the rankings for 5A Division II, but after a two hour lightning delay, saw their season start on the wrong side of things with a 27-20 setback to the hands of the Tyler Lee Red Raiders. The Mavs turned the ball over four times in their loss, that saw the Red Raiders lead throughout. Marshall and Longview will meet for the 109th time, with the two schools having met consecutively since the 1933 season, 87 seasons ago. The Lobos, riding a three-game winning streak over the Mavericks, have dominated the series in recent years running up a 17-1 series record in the last 18 years. Overall, since 1969, the Lobos are on a 41-9 run against their rivals to the East. Early in the series, it was Marshall who dominated. From 1909 to 1931, the Mavericks held an 18-2-2 record over the Lobos. The two teams did not play in 1932. Since then, Longview has controlled things apart from one six game Marshall winning streak in the late 40s into the early 50s. Since that 1932 break, Longview has stormed over the Mavericks to the tune of 59-24-3. The last five meetings between Longview and Marshall, however, has seen historical highs for the Lobos against the Mavericks. Prior to 2014, Longview had only registered 50 or more points against the Mavericks just once in their history. Since then, the Lobos have managed 56 twice and 60 once. Longview's 60 pointer last season at Maverick Stadium, was the most points the Lobos had ever scored against the Mavericks and the most ever scored at Maverick Stadium. It's all about improving in Week 2, and the Lobos will need to continue to do that if they are to extend a number of streaks currently going.

WEEK ONE 11-6A RESULTS:
Longview 24 Lufkin 21
Mesquite 21 Lake Highlands 6
Mesquite Horn 39 John Tyler 17
North Mesquite 17 Arlington Sam Houston 21
Rockwall 59 Highland Park 66
Rockwall Heath 38 Keller Timber Creek 10
Tyler Lee 27 Marshall 20

WEEK TWO 11-6A SCHEDULE:
Longview vs Marshall (Lobo Stadium)
Mesquite at Grand Prairie (Gopher-Warrior Bowl) {Thursday}
Mesquite Horn vs Highland Park (E.H. Hanby Stadium)
North Mesquite vs Garland Lakeview Centennial (Mesquite Memorial Stadium)
Rockwall at Rowlett (Homer B Johnson Stadium)
Rockwall Heath vs Wylie (Wilkerson-Sanders Memorial ISD Stadium)
Tyler Lee vs John Tyler (Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium) {Saturday}

DISTRICT 11-6A STANDINGS
1st. Longview (1-0, 0-0)
2nd. Mesquite (1-0, 0-0)
3rd. Mesquite Horn (1-0, 0-0)
4th. Rockwall Heath (1-0, 0-0)
5th. Tyler Lee (1-0, 0-0)
6th. North Mesquite (0-1, 0-0)
7th. Rockwall (0-1, 0-0)

DISTRICT 12-6A OVERVIEW
Last week - Belton lost 48-0 to Austin Westlake, Copperas Cove lost 41-38 to Burleson, Killeen fell 25-20 at Round Rock Stony Point, Killeen Ellison was hammered by A&M Consolidated 49-6, Killeen Harker Heights lost 42-34 to Round Rock, Killeen Shoemaker defeated San Angelo Central 54-21, Temple fell 35-29 to Round Rock Cedar Ridge, Waco Midway dropped a 20-14 decision to Euless Trinity, Waco High fell 36-35 to Waco University.
This week - Belton hosts Round Rock, Copperas Cove hosts Manor, Killeen travels to Vista Ridge, Killeen Ellison hosts Austin Vandegrift, Killeen Harker Heights host Round Rock Stony Point, Killeen Shoemaker travels to Midlothian, Temple hosts Autonoma de Nuevo Leon from Mexico, Waco hosts Georgetown, Waco Midway hosts Mansfield Lake Ridge.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 1-0 (0-0)
District: 11-6A
Coach: John King (168-36 in 16 seasons) (Playoffs: 40-14)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 730-345-52 (Playoffs: 69-41-1)
Playoff Appearances: 44
Last Playoff Appearance: 2018, 6A Division II State Championship
State Championships (1): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (4): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.30 - at Lufkin - Win 24-21
09.06 - vs Marshall
09.12 - at John Tyler
09.20 - West Monroe (In Shreveport)
09.27 - vs Rockwall
10.11 - at Mesquite Horn
10.18 - vs Rockwall Heath
10.25 - at North Mesquite
11.01 - vs Tyler Lee
11.08 - at Mesquite

MARSHALL MAVERICKS
Record: 0-1 (0-0)
District: 9-5A Division 2
Coach: Jake Griedl (0-1  in 1 season) (Playoffs: 0-0)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 602-458-45 (Playoffs: 39-29-2)
Playoff Appearances: 31
Last Playoff Appearance: 2018, 5A Division II Regional Round
State Championships (1): 1990 (5A DI)
State Championship Appearances (3): 1990 (5A DI), 2004 (4A DI), 2005 (4A DI)
SCHEDULE:
08.30 - vs Tyler Lee - Loss 27-20
09.06 - at Longview
09.13 - at Carthage
09.27 - vs Lindale
10.04 - at Hallsville
10.11 - vs Mount Pleasant
10.18 - at Jacksonville
10.25 - vs Nacogdoches
11.01 - at Whitehouse
11.08 - vs Pine Tree

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: September 6th
In 1974, Leo McCoy rushed for two touchdowns, while Thomas Cook and Henry Williams each tallied a score, as the Lobos improved to 1-0 on the season in a 28-0 victory over Dallas Jesuit at Haggar Stadium in Dallas.
In 1985, the Lobo defense shut down Fort Worth’s Eastern Hill Highlanders to the tune of a total of 93 yards on the night. Brian Williams hauled in a 13-yard pass to get Longview on the board. Clyde Boyd and Jason Baird were the only other Lobos to tally points, as Longview rolled to a 17-0 victory at Lobo Stadium.
In 1991, Dion Marion tallied three touchdowns and Charles West hauled in another as the Killeen Kangaroos passed all over the Longview Lobos, 27-7, at Lobo Stadium. John Washington was the only Lobo to tally in the season opener, hauling in a 19-yard passing touchdown.
In 1996, Waco’s Joseph Montgomery rushed in from one yard out to give the Lions a 7-0 lead in the 4th quarter. Tajuan Stoker had different ideas, however, coming right back with back to back touchdowns. Adrian Lee would return a 21-yard fumble for a score to give Longview a final score victory of 23-7 at Paul Tyson Stadium.
In 2002, welcoming in the #2 team in the country, the Lobos and Evangel Eagles traded blow for blow for three quarters. Evangel took a 28-21 lead into the 4th quarter, before the Lobos took off. Alex Cammack kicked a 17-yard field goal late in the 4th quarter, before Marcus Maxey picked off a David Booty pass and preserved the 31-28 victory over Evangel that pushed Longview back into the state spotlight for the first time in five years. Joel Armstrong tallied two scores, while Chris Jones and Malcolm Kelly tallied the other two touchdowns for the Lobos.
In 2013, despite trailing 7-0 after one quarter to the Mavericks of Marshall, Jeremy Powell and Ja’Mycal Hasty would each tally two touchdowns to give Longview a 26-14 victory over the Mavs at Maverick Stadium in Marshall. Longview rushed for 331 yards on the day, while holding the Mavs to 85 on the ground. It was Longview’s 13th victory in a row over their rivals from the East.

lobohowl2.GIF

• Thanks 1

Will get the game preview up tomorrow morning after I get some sleep.

Obviously Longview has a lot to work on, especially offensively. The line is a big concern, including the false start penalties. But they'll be fine come playoff time IMO. I think it was pretty clear Haynes had his worst day as a Lobo quarterback down at Abe. 

I expect a big rebound this coming week against the Mavs, but who knows. 

I got to listen to most of the 2nd half of the Marshall game through the Lee radio. They seemed very, very critical of JJ. His decision making, and the Marshall team's discipline was what they kept mentioning. Interested in hearing what Mav fans saw in their surprise loss to Lee.

We both turned it over quite a few on Friday night (Longview with 3, Marshall with 4), so hopefully Longview can clear that up.

• Like 1

If the Mavericks play like they did last night, I'll take the Mavs by (-47). 

In all seriousness, I just hope the Mavs can correct their turnovers and keep the mistakes down to make it competitive but I have a feeling this one is going to get out of hand early. Any game is winnable but it's going to take a lot of good fortune for the Mavs to come out on top.

Honestly, even with as poor as Haynes played last night, I just don't see how this isn't a good, solid win for Longview again over the Mavs. Especially after hearing how Marshall played last night. I was just shocked to hear the Lee announcer blast into JJ as much as they did to be honest.

Personally,  I was impressed with the OL. Was it a great performance? No. Did they make mistakes? Of course. 

But how often do you see a HS football team return its entire starting OL the way we did last year? That's rare. 

So to only return 1 of those starters this year, and the first game, they were much better than I expected. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Personally,  I was impressed with the OL. Was it a great performance? No. Did they make mistakes? Of course. 

But how often do you see a HS football team return its entire starting OL the way we did last year? That's rare. 

So to only return 1 of those starters this year, and the first game, they were much better than I expected. 

Yea, I told a lady from Longview who was talking about that, the lobo oline didn’t play that bad. They opened up some good holes and stopped HK from getting sacked a few times. 

Eh, I don't think they had the best game, but they'll get better as the season goes along. Our running game was not where it needs to be, by any stretch of the imagination. But as you said, first game.

Cox, being the lone starter, and having a chop block that negated a huge pass play to end the half really boils me. But is what it is.

• Like 1

I think the Lobo fans are learning a bit about setting proper expectations after winning it all.  No one should ever expect game 1 will will be an extension of game 16 the year before.  New players, some new coaches, etc.  Trust the process and watch them get better each week.  Each year the path is different.  12-4 is just as good as 16-0 as long as you win the last 6!  I think the Lobos do get better this week and win 42-14.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I think the Lobo fans are learning a bit about setting proper expectations after winning it all.  No one should ever expect game 1 will will be an extension of game 16 the year before.  New players, some new coaches, etc.  Trust the process and watch them get better each week.  Each year the path is different.  12-4 is just as good as 16-0 as long as you win the last 6!  I think the Lobos do get better this week and win 42-14.

This....

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Exactly. Most sensible Lobo fans have been saying this all off-season. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EdgarAllenPwn said:

I think Longview corrects more mistakes than Marshall in this weeks practice and lay down a good ol fashion whooping. 38-14 Lobos

That spread is very generous.  Us Marshall fans appreciate it

51 minutes ago, EdgarAllenPwn said:

Anytime you beat Lufkin AT LUFKIN you’ve done something. They are crafty and talent laden. Longview will look like a state contender around district time. Week 6 Lobos won’t even remotely resemble Week 1 Lobos.

Completely agree with the last sentence. 

Hayden just posted the official stats. 36 pass attempts ties for the 2nd most in program history. Most since 1965 (the record is 38 set in that same year). Also tied with a game in 1950 and 1939. 

Only the 18th game in program history with 30 or more throws in one game.

23 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Hayden just posted the official stats. 36 pass attempts ties for the 2nd most in program history. Most since 1965 (the record is 38 set in that same year). Also tied with a game in 1950 and 1939

Do what?!!

Who in the heck was slingin' the ball 30+ times back in '39 and '50? That must've been crazy to see...