Week Two: Marshall at Longview

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (1-0) vs Marshall Mavericks (0-1)  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Marshall in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/07/2019 at 12:30 AM

13 minutes ago, Mavs03 said:

I wouldn’t say gone up in smoke.....got faith in the Burris kid. Has a pretty good arm and he can move when need be but no jj in that regard. I’m sure coach g and the rest of the staff will get a good gameplan around him. Now first game as a starter against Longview might be a little rough but we shall see. 

I hope you are right....hope the best for him and marshall...except this week

18 minutes ago, Mavs03 said:

I wouldn’t say gone up in smoke.....got faith in the Burris kid. Has a pretty good arm and he can move when need be but no jj in that regard. I’m sure coach g and the rest of the staff will get a good gameplan around him. Now first game as a starter against Longview might be a little rough but we shall see. 

This turn of events brings the Mavs back to the pack in district. Now it is about survival in pre district. 

19 minutes ago, Mavs03 said:

Has he seen any action at all on the varsity level?

1 minute ago, PackAttack said:

Don't know the details of the Marshall QB not on the team, I read the article. However, sometimes things like this can bring a team together as well.  No matter how talented someone is for you, if they are the elephant in the room, then maybe this change is good.  

Addition by subtraction

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Don't know the details of the Marshall QB not on the team, I read the article. However, sometimes things like this can bring a team together as well.  No matter how talented someone is for you, if they are the elephant in the room, then maybe this change is good.  

No doubt. It honestly sounds like he was a cancer in the room and out. 

Hope the Mavs can come together, post this week of course, and put their season back on the tracks.

So..

Burris gets his first start vs one of the best, if not the best Lobo front 7's of the John King era....who by the way just got Laqualon Hale back (didn't play LP game because of very minor injury), one of the best 2021 LB's in the state. And, in Longview.

Image result for wow gif

17 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Is what it is at this point.

Longview just needs to worry about themselves, do what they do and get out with no injuries.

Exactly. Focus and execution needs to be the objective. Doesn't matter what 11 are lined up in front of 'em, our guys have got to focus and execute. Get better with each snap. Lotsa football still to go. 

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

So..

Burris gets his first start vs one of the best, if not the best Lobo front 7's of the John King era....who by the way just got Laqualon Hale back (didn't play LP game because of very minor injury), one of the best 2021 LB's in the state. And, in Longview.

Image result for wow gif

I saw the Hale kid at practice yesterday. He was moving around well! He will make a great defense even better!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Oldetexfan said:

I saw the Hale kid at practice yesterday. He was moving around well! He will make a great defense even better!

Knowing how well the defense played against Lufkin, and now getting a bigger piece of that said defense back, AND now knowing that Marshall is breaking in a new quarterback, should we be disappointed with anything but a shut down effort? 

Obviously not expecting them to completely shut down everyone, as that's just not the type of defense we've played in a long, long time. Even against Lufkin, it was still a more bend but don't break defense...which I expect to continue throughout the year. But what do y'all who have been to practice or even just last week, think our expectations should be going into Friday night?

55 minutes ago, Oldetexfan said:

His brothers are ballers as well.

Tyree Hale would be a starting safety at alot of schools. Filled in nicely when Shannon Jackson got booted in that LP game for apparent targeting. We could easily move Jackson back to offense making him and Meredith a dynamic duo at RB while Tyree starts at safety but I'll gladly take the defensive depth without question.

Then of course, the freshman sensation Jalen Hale at WR...

Those Hale's can play.

OL should be getting more deeper with an addition as well this week, if not next.

Thought I'd add a couple more notes before Friday's game..

Marshall has led for a total of 11 plays at Lobo Stadium since their 1998 upset victory over the Lobos. 9 of those plays came in 2001, when the Mavs took a 16-14 lead over the Lobos in the 3rd quarter. Longview had a kickoff return then an 8 play drive before taking the lead for good. The other two plays came two seasons ago, when the Mavs took a 7-0 lead on the Lobos in the first quarter, only for a long kickoff return and a long touchdown run erased that lead.

Longview is hosting Green Out this Friday night. The Lobos are 15-2 all-time in Green Out games, and have won their last four. This will be Marshall's second visit to Longview during a Green Out game. Previous came in 2017, when the Lobos won 41-7.

Longview is also hosting Homecoming this Friday night. Longview is 39-13-4 all-time in Homecoming games, and have won the last 15 in a row. John King has never lost a Homecoming contest. Marshall returns to Longview for their 6th appearance during a Lobo homecoming game, and first since 1977. The Lobos are 3-2 in the previous 5 homecoming games against Marshall.

7 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Thought I'd add a couple more notes before Friday's game..

Marshall has led for a total of 11 plays at Lobo Stadium since their 1998 upset victory over the Lobos. 9 of those plays came in 2001, when the Mavs took a 16-14 lead over the Lobos in the 3rd quarter. Longview had a kickoff return then an 8 play drive before taking the lead for good. The other two plays came two seasons ago, when the Mavs took a 7-0 lead on the Lobos in the first quarter, only for a long kickoff return and a long touchdown run erased that lead.

Longview is hosting Green Out this Friday night. The Lobos are 15-2 all-time in Green Out games, and have won their last four. This will be Marshall's second visit to Longview during a Green Out game. Previous came in 2017, when the Lobos won 41-7.

Longview is also hosting Homecoming this Friday night. Longview is 39-13-4 all-time in Homecoming games, and have won the last 15 in a row. John King has never lost a Homecoming contest. Marshall returns to Longview for their 6th appearance during a Lobo homecoming game, and first since 1977. The Lobos are 3-2 in the previous 5 homecoming games against Marshall.

History W.I.Z.A.R.D......

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Knowing how well the defense played against Lufkin, and now getting a bigger piece of that said defense back, AND now knowing that Marshall is breaking in a new quarterback, should we be disappointed with anything but a shut down effort? 

Obviously not expecting them to completely shut down everyone, as that's just not the type of defense we've played in a long, long time. Even against Lufkin, it was still a more bend but don't break defense...which I expect to continue throughout the year. But what do y'all who have been to practice or even just last week, think our expectations should be going into Friday night?

I seriously believe we have the potential to destroy them this week if our offense gets in a rhythm...friend of mine in Marshall said their Oline had lots of trouble blocking....going to be interesting 

24 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

I seriously believe we have the potential to destroy them this week if our offense gets in a rhythm...friend of mine in Marshall said their Oline had lots of trouble blocking....going to be interesting 

It sounded like they had a couple of snapping issues on top of that. 

Goodness.

• Like 1