The Tyler Rose Bowl

cujoforlife

Rose city rivalry   

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Win

I'm not one who needs to make excuses for JT but it is hard to compete at 5A with 35 players on your roster. The coaching staff is gonna have to find away to get those numbers up. What confuses me is JT has had success over the years so I don't know why they have such low numbers. I'm not close to program but something is not right there. Even long time losing programs have more players than JT. I know for a fact that Dallas Lincoln had the same issue when they were winning. That program is now just about dead.

16 minutes ago, Grainraiser said:

I'm not one who needs to make excuses for JT but it is hard to compete at 5A with 35 players on your roster. The coaching staff is gonna have to find away to get those numbers up. What confuses me is JT has had success over the years so I don't know why they have such low numbers. I'm not close to program but something is not right there. Even long time losing programs have more players than JT. I know for a fact that Dallas Lincoln had the same issue when they were winning. That program is now just about dead.

Kids aren't the same. don't like the heat and stay inside too much. They would rather be playing fortnight or some other video game.

15 hours ago, cujoforlife said:

JT needs to stop playing 6a schools and start playing 5a and 4a in non District. JT just don’t have the numbers to play up. 

dude, you making excuses. Jt would schedule Lee regardless.  Also JT would probably schedule Longview and/or Lufkin every yr too. 

Although the score says other wise, JT and Horn was a close game. JT got within the 10 yd line twice with no points. Although I think Horn was the better team, that could have easily been a one score game.  Horn is the type of team JT will face in the later rounds of the playoffs.  The only game that is probably over the top is the Euless Trnity game, but I ain't going to blame Coach Holmes for scheduling. You start play down in competition, it will hurt the team in the long run. These 4a and 5a schools ain't going to get you ready for the HP, Denton Ryan, and Lufkin's of 5a Div.1. 

JT just last yr played a tough schedule, took some beat downs early , and honestly should have been playing for the 5a Div.1 title.  ONE yr later, we hitting panic mode.  The offense should be bad this yr...they lost everybody accpet the Center and Crawford (who really only played part time on Offense). There were a  couple other reserves, but they didn't play much. 

The def should be better, but lets be honest, we have had that complaint for a while now.  JT will be ok in the long run. They have a good chance at winning this distict, and probably going a couple rounds deep in playoffs.  Alot of the offense will return next yr, along with a few def players, and a good freshman class coming up.   The numbers are low, but they have always been low. Probably won't see more than 45 players on Varsity for a while.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grainraiser said:

JT has never had big numbers, even in the 90s when the demographics were better for high numbers, and they state title contenders. Only getting 50-60 players then as well.   Some of the reason for low numbers may have something to do with the neighborhoods that JT pull kids from, but some of it is that Coach Holmes and Coach Wilson (the coach in the 90s) are no non sense coaches.  On top of that, I think the 6am practices may hurt some of the turn out too.

14 hours ago, VonG said:

They only had 25 players on jv last year. You combine those with a small senior class and you only have 35 players. 

It look like there is more kids on JV this yr than varsity.  Well at least at the Jesuit scrimmage.it look that way.

38 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

dude, you making excuses. Jt would schedule Lee regardless.  Also JT would probably schedule Longview and/or Lufkin every yr too. 

Although the score says other wise, JT and Horn was a close game. JT got within the 10 yd line twice with no points. Although I think Horn was the better team, that could have easily been a one score game.  Horn is the type of team JT will face in the later rounds of the playoffs.  The only game that is probably over the top is the Euless Trnity game, but I ain't going to blame Coach Holmes for scheduling. You start play down in competition, it will hurt the team in the long run. These 4a and 5a schools ain't going to get you ready for the HP, Denton Ryan, and Lufkin's of 5a Div.1. 

JT just last yr played a tough schedule, took some beat downs early , and honestly should have been playing for the 5a Div.1 title.  ONE yr later, we hitting panic mode.  The offense should be bad this yr...they lost everybody accpet the Center and Crawford (who really only played part time on Offense). There were a  couple other reserves, but they didn't play much. 

The def should be better, but lets be honest, we have had that complaint for a while now.  JT will be ok in the long run. They have a good chance at winning this distict, and probably going a couple rounds deep in playoffs.  Alot of the offense will return next yr, along with a few def players, and a good freshman class coming up.   The numbers are low, but they have always been low. Probably won't see more than 45 players on Varsity for a while.  

Yep, this is what non district is for. We got blown out twice in 12 and 2017. We were still able to make playoff runs and was very close to beating one of those teams that did it in the fourth round. I still expect JT or North to win that district. And our district is down, so you should win that first round game.

JT has a good coaching staff. Probably a better one than Lufkin, so I’m not going to act like y’all still don’t have a chance to make another run this season. But the talent level on offense does seem down from last season. Y’all don’t have that great receiver either that made the huge play against Poteet. So.....who knows? But no reason to give up on the season this early. 

4 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Yep, this is what non district is for. We got blown out twice in 12 and 2017. We were still able to make playoff runs and was very close to beating one of those teams that did it in the fourth round. I still expect JT or North to win that district. And our district is down, so you should win that first round game.

JT has a good coaching staff. Probably a better one than Lufkin, so I’m not going to act like y’all still don’t have a chance to make another run this season. But the talent level on offense does seem down from last season. Y’all don’t have that great receiver either that made the huge play against Poteet. So.....who knows? But no reason to give up on the season this early. 

I wasn't expecting the off. to be quite this bad, but I knew  they would struggle. You right, JT has had big time receivers lately. They don't have any this yr, and they lost 95% of the offense from last yr. Its going to be growing pains on that side of the ball. 

I wonder how JT football program would be like if they carried 70-80 players on varsity every year. They already do more with less. If they had those types of numbers every year, I don't think anyone around East Texas could compete with them. Think about all the depth they would have. Not one player would ever have to play both ways. I really feel like they would be unstoppable. I'm definitely not saying they would win state championships every year but they would definitely be in the running. For the most part they have been making deep runs the last 10 years with the limited numbers they have already. I can only imagine how they would look with extra quality players. What's your take 99 or any other JT fan?

• Thumbs Down 1
  • Stinks 1

20 minutes ago, VonG said:

I wonder how JT football program would be like if they carried 70-80 players on varsity every year. They already do more with less. If they had those types of numbers every year, I don't think anyone around East Texas could compete with them. Think about all the depth they would have. Not one player would ever have to play both ways. I really feel like they would be unstoppable. I'm definitely not saying they would win state championships every year but they would definitely be in the running. For the most part they have been making deep runs the last 10 years with the limited numbers they have already. I can only imagine how they would look with extra quality players. What's your take 99 or any other JT fan?

The problem with having only 40-50 players on Varsity is that it makes JT contenders every other yr or every 2 yrs vs every yr because half to 2/3rds of the roster is gone each yr because usually most of the varsity is seniors.  If they had the depth of 70-80 players, its possible they would reload every yr and possibly be contenders.  

I think back to the 90s when JT only had 50 players, but the JV was loaded with kids good enough to be on varsity.  Its not like that anymore.

I knew in the 90s and early 2000s JT would be loaded as well as the early 2010's because they had some great talent with depth coming up from Tyler middle schools. Its kinda what Longview is going through right now, they had a good 3-4 yrs a few yrs ago with very good and deep middle school teams.  But these things come and go in cycles.  I will say that Longview and Lufkin are good every yr because of their depth and if JT had more depth, probably wouldn't have bad off yrs like this yr.

Okay...

Hispanics do make up majority of JT's student body by a wide margin have for a while.

But I've never contributed that as the main reason why JT has low participation.

As many have pointed out...JT has never had high numbers. And by high, I'm talking 60-70+ on varsity. 

At the same time... the hispanic pop hasnt always been as high as it is. So what was the reason for low partip in 2000s, 90s?

Also, you look at teams in the valley that are made up of 99% hispanics and they are able to dress much more than 35. 

JT doesnt have the white pop of Longview, but black pop is similar and Longview is still able to attract anywhere from 100-150 more blacks than JT yearly in the football program.

I dunno, JT just hasnt been able to attract alot of football players for whatever reason. I will say that 6am practices certainly wont attract anyone to come play for you lol

16 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Okay...

Hispanics do make up majority of JT's student body by a wide margin have for a while.

But I've never contributed that as the main reason why JT has low participation.

As many have pointed out...JT has never had high numbers. And by high, I'm talking 60-70+ on varsity. 

At the same time... the hispanic pop hasnt always been as high as it is. So what was the reason for low partip in 2000s, 90s?

Also, you look at teams in the valley that are made up of 99% hispanics and they are able to dress much more than 35. 

JT doesnt have the white pop of Longview, but black pop is similar and Longview is still able to attract anywhere from 100-150 more blacks than JT yearly in the football program.

I dunno, JT just hasnt been able to attract alot of football players for whatever reason. I will say that 6am practices certainly wont attract anyone to come play for you lol

good points.  JT never had high participation numbers...BUT back in the 90s and early 2000s, they had 300-400 more black kids plus 300-400 white students to get players from.

So if most of the players are black, and now JT has 300 less black students, the numbers are going to get worse unless you get Hispanics to come out.

and yes, in the Valley and El Paso, they do come out for football. Maybe they don't up this way because they feel they won't get much playing time vs the black/white kids...I don't know.  JT has had a few Hispanic kids play and they were all pretty good so I don't know why they don't come out.

as far as comparing JT to Longview...I have no idea how JT has the same black population as Longview  (plus black head coaches) but they can't get higher dress out numbers from black students. Maybe Coach Holmes need to get the formula from Coach King..lol 

And yes, the 6am practices probably hurt some too

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Thanks. Wow, had no idea. 65%

its not the Hispanic population, its the declining black population. If you couldn't get 60+ on varsity at the black population peak, its only going to decline unless you can get Hispanics out.

13 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

its not the Hispanic population, its the declining black population. If you couldn't get 60+ on varsity at the black population peak, its only going to decline unless you can get Hispanics out.

Didn't think it was, just surprised by the change over the years.

On 9/8/2019 at 3:16 PM, JTFAN99 said:

I don’t see it .