Week 2: Gilmer vs Van

BIGTEX1972

Looking better just need to clean up all these unnessisary penalties that are killing us. Bunch of non-sense that should not have happened all night. Way too many flags. Got some tough games ahead of us and we can't play like that against stiffer competition. 

Good game though fellas and just keep driving. Them Buckeyes are looking stronger for sure.

A few quick observations:

1. Difference in the game was Gilmer defense. They had three red zone stops in the first half, and then tightened the screws in the second half. This defense is vastly improved from last year. 

2. Hurt played very well tonight. Glad to see him run tonight. It wasn't often, but just when the Van defense wasn't expecting it. He threw the ball well also. 

3. I like Smith running the football.  Bush is the starter and should be. He's a wrecking ball. Hope the injury tonight wasn't serious. But Smith has excellent acceleration. He seems to be patient enough to wait for the hole to open, and then he makes his cut and goes. 

4. Gilmer did have a lot of penalties tonight. They still need to clean that up. Hopefully the coaches will harp on that this week. 

5. There were a couple of drives tonight that were very impressive by Gilmer. They got Van on their heels, and they just attacked, ran the ball, and didn't give Van a chance to catch their breath. 

Good W for Gilmer. The schedule is about to get brutal for them. I'll be interested in seeing how they play the next 3 weeks. 

I thought it would have been closer than this and it potentially would have had we not had 3 starters out with injuries and our big DE sick and not coming back the 2nd half. Having said that though, Gilmer does look vastly improved over last year as opposed to Van not quite up to speed yet even with all the starters. Hopefully everyone is healthy by district and we get the bugs ironed out. For Gilmer, the Bush kid is a beast that any defense is going to have trouble with. Going to be interesting to see how Gilmer and Paris match up.

On 9/3/2019 at 12:35 PM, DawgNation2015 said:

Van is top 15 4A D1 team and with one or two wins could be a top 10 team. I would plan on a close game or your second half won’t be very enjoyable from the stress levels.  This one is a 6 point game either way.  Will likely come down to the last possession.  Van will kick the FG this year!

Van is no where near a top 10 team

47 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Doesn’t look like it after last night.  I expected a much closer game.

I did too. Looks like Gilmer may have figured something out. They still have some tough pre-district games against better opponents than they played the first 2 weeks. We shall see. 

Looks like Gilmer is the real deal, so I expect to see the Gilmerites back in force here again on Smoaky this season.  Good luck the rest of the way......D-2 needs Gilmer to make things more competitive all around the state.  It changes things in Region 2 for sure come playoff time, and that could change other results(but probably won't, haha).