MavGrad's Week 2 Preview (2019)

Coach Rab

ESPN will sell you on how great of a weekend this is based on 2 great match-ups.  However, looking through the schedule, there isn't a whole lot to get excited about in the early games.  While we may see that miraculous upset like we saw over Tennessee, we are more likely to see a lot of blow outs as most teams played week 0 and week 1 to get the kinks out.  

#12 Texas A&M (1-0) at #1 Clemson (1-0)  2:30 ABC

I am looking forward to this game for several reasons.  One, I like Jimbo in big games.  He coached with the best (Nick Saban) and does not buckle under pressure.  I think he takes these games as his own measuring stick.  I want to see if he has the coaching skills to keep his team in the game when the opposing team probably has an advantage at almost every position.  Two, I want to see how the Aggie players react to this game.  With last year's hard fought effort, will they act like it should be easier this year or will they fight even harder like they have something to prove?  And finally, IF the Aggies get blown out, how big of a deal will Aggie fans make of it?  We know some people will be like "See, they aren't a top tier team yet."  I honestly think that the Aggies aren't at that stage yet where they will compete for the SEC West or a Nat. Championship for another year or 2.  However, in this game I am going with Clemson by 13.

UT-San Antonio (1-0) at Baylor (1-0)  3:00pm  No TV Listing

The fighting road runners are huge underdogs in this one.  Baylor, while playing sub-par non-conference games, look to be on an upward projection again in the B12.  While they are not a 10 win team by any stretch of the imagination, I fully expect them to pull out at least 4 conference wins and add to the pool of money at the end of the year with a bowl game.  Bears by 15.

South Dakota (0-1) at #4 Oklahoma (1-0)  6:00pm  No TV Listing

We won't be looking at anything but the box score in this one.  How many yards can Jalen Hurts put up before being pulled at half?  Sooners by 40.

North Texas (1-0) at SMU (1-0)  6:00  ESPN3

SMU is favored by 4 points in this one.  Despite SMU having a serviceable QB, I like UNT's offense slightly better.  Expect a lot of points.  UNT Mean Green by 6.

#6 LSU (1-0) at #9 Texas (1-0)  6:30pm  ABC

By far the best match-up this season.  I think these 2 teams going head to head is going to come down to the last drive.  Biggest factors: LSU's new high-tempo offense... do they give up on it if Texas gets a few stops or big plays on D?  Ehlinger... how much of an impact will he have with his arm?  This will be the fastest defense he has faced.  Scrambling in this one will be the toughest thing he will do.  There is so much more we could cover with this one, but I am just going to stop with those 2 key questions.  LSU by 1.

Arkansas (1-0) at Ole Miss (0-1)  6:30pm  SECN

Ole Miss players quit in their loss this past week.  Arkansas won't.  I'll take the Hogs by 6.

• Thanks 1

Travis Etienne will remain a Heisman front-runner after the game.  A&M will try to stop him allowing for Trevor Lawrence to rebound and have a nice game.  Clemson big.

Baylor big. 

OU big.  Too many athletes on the field for the Sooners.  I do not believe that Riley is a "QB Whisperer".   I believe that he just has had talented QB come his way.

SMU over North Texas.  The only thing i know about this game is the SMU QB.  10 to 12 point win.

The lack of depth at RB for Texas will be their downfall.  I expect a close game but I feel a late game turnover will result in a LSU win.  I pray that I am wrong.  Scare me to death.

Ole Miss bounces back with a 10 point win.

3 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

#12 Texas A&M (1-0) at #1 Clemson (1-0)  2:30 ABC

North Texas (1-0) at SMU (1-0)  6:00  ESPN3

#6 LSU (1-0) at #9 Texas (1-0)  6:30pm  ABC

Arkansas (1-0) at Ole Miss (0-1)  6:30pm  SECN

1.) Give me A&M to upset. I was not at all impressed with Clemson last week. Maybe they were playing possum or just looking ahead, but I think the Aggies match up well. 

2.) Not impressed with SMU either. Frankly, I can't believe they're favored. Gimme the Mean Joe Greens to win by 10. 

3.) UT is young on defense but Todd Orlando's probably the best d-coord in the country. Herman is a goofy weirdo, but dang if he can't prepare a team for a big game. Gimme UT in this one. 

4.) Arkansas has some mojo right now. Ole Miss is floundering. The Hogs take this'n. 

• Stinks 1

Just now, Valhalla said:

Schools from the same state

Both had 10+ wins last year 

Cinnci wants be a P5

Return of Fickel to Ohio State to face Meyers chosen successor.

Interesting...  this game wasn't really on my radar, but I may give it a chance now. 

I was much more comfortable picking Texas to win before the blow to the RB depth. The fact that a QB and a LB are the #2 & 3 RB's, with #1 playing with a bit of an injury himself, scares me. 

I still think it'll be a good game, but I think the lack of RB's bites Texas in the end.

This isn’t the case on this website but it’s funny to me to watch LSU fans drastically change their outlook of this game based on what their offense did vs GSU. I know a lot of it is just excitement that their Tigers finally look like they are running more of a spread offense. 

Its going to be interesting to see if LSU sticks with it they struggle scoring points. I don’t doubt they’ll move the ball between the 20s, Texas defense isn’t going to shut down a team with the athletes of LSU caliber. Something I’d like to see is how does the LSU defense respond if Texas has a 9/10 play scoring drive that last 7 minutes, then their offense goes 3&out and their defense is right back on the field. That’s the biggest issue with a spread offense. I know LSU has good depth but is their depth good enough to stop a spread? 

You've got a Texas team that has been running the spread and has been defending the spread for years. They have recruited to run and defend the spread offenses. If LSU can come into Austin and handle Texas at a Big12 type of game(spread) then they’ll probably be deserving of #1 ranking imo. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

I was much more comfortable picking Texas to win before the blow to the RB depth. The fact that a QB and a LB are the #2 & 3 RB's, with #1 playing with a bit of an injury himself, scares me. 

I still think it'll be a good game, but I think the lack of RB's bites Texas in the end.

So what was your personal spread before and after injuries? 

26 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Gonna have to step up your game, Mav. You completely missed on the BAMA/ New Mexico State Donnybrook. I’m sure it was just an oversight. I’ll be waiting for your preview. 

Bama wins.  Preview done :p 

• LOL! 1