MavGrad's Week 2 Preview (2019)

Coach Rab

I watched the SFA/ Tarleton State game. SFA has a big hill to climb if they are gonna be competitive in the Southland Conference. I don’t think the QB  has the skills to run the offense. Way too many underthrown or overthrown balls. I bet he completed less than 40%. Inconsistencies on offense led to their defense staying on the field for long drives in the second half and Tarleton took advantage of them being worn out. I’m afraid it’s gonna be a long season for the Jacks. 

7 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I watched the SFA/ Tarleton State game. SFA has a big hill to climb if they are gonna be competitive in the Southland Conference. I don’t think the QB  has the skills to run the offense. Way too many underthrown or overthrown balls. I bet he completed less than 40%. Inconsistencies on offense led to their defense staying on the field for long drives in the second half and Tarleton took advantage of them being worn out. I’m afraid it’s gonna be a long season for the Jacks. 

Last night was not fun to watch. They are extremely young and Tarleton is #2 in the country. They are still DII and we shouldnt have lost but I'm chalking this up to growing pains. QB of the future is a freshman Cam Arnold. Trae Self is a good athlete, but calling him an inconsistent passer would be an improvement. Defense? Woof...

4 hours ago, topher805 said:

Last night was not fun to watch. They are extremely young and Tarleton is #2 in the country. They are still DII and we shouldnt have lost but I'm chalking this up to growing pains. QB of the future is a freshman Cam Arnold. Trae Self is a good athlete, but calling him an inconsistent passer would be an improvement. Defense? Woof...

I didn’t realize Tarleton was that highly ranked. They have a good program. SFA definitely missed some opportunities. I don’t know if it was a blown assignment or not, but the Tarleton kickoff returner made a boneheaded play that made them start from the one yard line and had me thinking SFA had a chance to really get things going in their favor. Then they gave up a 99 yard TD run. The other big momentum swing was at the end of the first half when SFA called TO to try and get the ball back. If they just let Tarleton run out the clock, they get the ball, with the lead, to start the second half. Instead, Tarleton converts and SFA’s young corner gets beat for a long TD, and they never get the lead back. SFA does have the makings for a pretty good run game. The offensive line created some nice lanes and the backs did a good job of finishing runs. I would have liked to see them lean more on the running game and keep their defense off the field. It was obvious they weren’t winning a shootout. Too much talent disparity at the QB and WR positions. #88 from Tarleton was a man among boys.