Week Three: Longview at John Tyler

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (2-0) vs John Tyler Lions (0-1)  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • John Tyler in a close one
    • John Tyler in a blow out

21 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Welp. That'll be a game to see for sure. Lancaster playing Duncanville that well was a little eye popping. 

Definitely. I wouldn’t be surprised if Lancaster won that game either. Very talented group this year. And JT still would have to beat CS, Tomball or one of the magnolia schools from our district in the first round. I know they’ve struggled in the first few weeks, but that still won’t be easy. 

25 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

I think y’all can and will beat lone star. I just don’t think they are that good. I could see a JT LP 3rd round matchup

We’ll find out more about LS this week since they are playing HP.... But they sure look dominant so far. Even though it’s been weak opponents... Lufkin is just too inconsistent for my liking. We just find ways to screw it all up. Not to mention coaching. 

10 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Of course JT improved. But y’all tried to make it seem like 5A D1 was this big beast for whatever reason last year. You had to have a near miracle just to win district. A normal JT would have lit up Poteet and the rest of that district. 

I brought up last season because JT’s entire hype going into this season was built off y’all almost beating Highland Park last year. That’s literally the entire reason y’all had hype going into this year. As you said, players graduate...new season, new team. And y’all are staring 0-4 dead straight in the face after an entire off season about how y'all's district was just as good as ours, and how y’all were going to be this big bad team. 

Its not uncommon for anyone to have lucky or miracle type wins during a season. JT had one against Poteet and McKinney North. Longview had one against Lufkin, and had a tough one against an Amarillo school.  It happens.  You aren't going to blow out every team every week. 

But there is no reason to diminish last yr success by saying the class was weak.  We all know 6a div.2 was down as well, but no one said LV only won state because of a weak draw.   

As far as districts go, neither district has nothing to brag about. Outside of LV and Rockwall (and Horn to a certain point) the rest of the district was bad last yr.  Only JT and Poteet were good last yr in JT's district.    There is no need to argue about which district is bad, because honestly both were last yr. 

As far as JT being a big bad team, doesn't look that way now, but I know a team that started out 1-3 in 2010 and made it to the state semi...and should have won that game...In other words, its not where you start, its where you finish....even if the playoff draw is so weak that a team that starts 1-3 can almost make it to state...LOL.

18 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

As far as JT being a big bad team, doesn't look that way now, but I know a team that started out 1-3 in 2010 and made it to the state semi...and should have won that game...In other words, its not where you start, its where you finish....even if the playoff draw is so weak that a team that starts 1-3 can almost make it to state...LOL.

Man.... I forgot about that. Longview did turn it around... Denton guyer 🤦🏻‍♂️

45 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Its not uncommon for anyone to have lucky or miracle type wins during a season. JT had one against Poteet and McKinney North. Longview had one against Lufkin, and had a tough one against an Amarillo school.  It happens.  You aren't going to blow out every team every week. 

But there is no reason to diminish last yr success by saying the class was weak.  We all know 6a div.2 was down as well, but no one said LV only won state because of a weak draw.   

As far as districts go, neither district has nothing to brag about. Outside of LV and Rockwall (and Horn to a certain point) the rest of the district was bad last yr.  Only JT and Poteet were good last yr in JT's district.    There is no need to argue about which district is bad, because honestly both were last yr. 

Longview didn’t get “lucky” against Lufkin last year. We forced a fumble, just like we forced a fumble in the State game. And we certainly didn’t get lucky against Tascosa. We were up 35-7 on them and never once trailed. 

The only thing down about Division 2 in 6A last year was Region 1. But Longview wasn’t in that Region. We had to face a tough Prosper team in their own back yard, an undefeated Vandegrift team with one of the best defenses in the state going into that game before we made them look loopy, a solid Westfield squad in bad conditions (granted their O was hurt), a Tascosa team that you could say was not as good as a Semi Finalist should be but they were formidable and a very good offensive West Brook team. 

Ill agree that 11-6A wasn’t what they were this season, last year. But I’m still confident that y’alls was not that anywhere near as solid as your fans tried to make out during the summer.

And if JT pulls a Longview 2010, feel free to quote me and call me out. I’ll glad say you were right. Can only beat the team in front of you come playoff time, and that Lobo team did what they had to do until the final minutes of that one. Didn’t have to play a big team that season until the 4th round, but they still played fantastic to give us that incredible run. Only difference in that season and JT’s right now, is that Longview was playing toe to toe with state ranked Allen and Lufkin both on the road, including having lead late in the game. JT has been blown out in back to back weeks against a 4th place squad and a team who will likely miss the post season.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Longview didn’t get “lucky” against Lufkin last year. We forced a fumble, just like we forced a fumble in the State game. And we certainly didn’t get lucky against Tascosa. We were up 35-7 on them and never once trailed. 

The only thing down about Division 2 in 6A last year was Region 1. But Longview wasn’t in that Region. We had to face a tough Prosper team in their own back yard, an undefeated Vandegrift team with one of the best defenses in the state going into that game before we made them look loopy, a solid Westfield squad in bad conditions (granted their O was hurt), a Tascosa team that you could say was not as good as a Semi Finalist should be but they were formidable and a very good offensive West Brook team. 

Ill agree that 11-6A wasn’t what they were this season, last year. But I’m still confident that y’alls was not that anywhere near as solid as your fans tried to make out during the summer.

And if JT pulls a Longview 2010, feel free to quote me and call me out. I’ll glad say you were right. Can only beat the team in front of you come playoff time, and that Lobo team did what they had to do until the final minutes of that one. Didn’t have to play a big team that season until the 4th round, but they still played fantastic to give us that incredible run. Only difference in that season and JT’s right now, is that Longview was playing toe to toe with state ranked Allen and Lufkin both on the road, including having lead late in the game. JT has been blown out in back to back weeks against a 4th place squad and a team who will likely miss the post season.

well If you don't think a fumble is luck (because either team can land on it), then I think that the JT hail mary pass against Poteet was all skill....lol.

And Tascosa was an onside kick recovery from having a potential game winning drive. 

as far as 6a div.2 being down... no Katy, no Lake Travis.  BUT it doesn't matter, because i wouldn't diminish what you guys accomplish.  In other words, its alright to give props to other East Texas teams outside of Longview ISD.

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

We all know 6a div.2 was down as well, but no one said LV only won state because of a weak draw.   

Weak draw....lmao. R2D2 is the 2nd toughest region in Texas behind R3D1. 

And didn't D2 have 4 of the top 10 AP teams in it? Westlake, LV, Cy Ranch and Vandegrift?

Nothing down or weak about that, D1 was stronger but the notion that D2 was weak only comes from a casual. Pretty sure Westlake blew out LT last year too.

The last really lopsided bracket that I remember in the top classification was 2004.

well If you don't think a fumble is luck (because either team can land on it), then I think that the JT hail mary pass against Poteet was all skill....lol.

And Tascosa was an onside kick recovery from having a potential game winning drive. 

We punched the ball out...how is that luck or a miracle?

Tascosa had already recovered one onside kick, which was a miracle. The play after to pull within one, was beyond luck. If Tascosa had pulled out that contest, it would've been nothing but a pure miracle lol. Longview controlled that game from the very get go, until the last five minutes. Nothing about that win last season was luck or a miracle. West Brook game was more of a miracle than that, just because the Bruins had a chance to go up two scores and missed the PAT giving us a chance. 

On 9/8/2019 at 2:08 PM, LoboFan07 said:

Audio Highlights from Longview's 53-0 win over the Mavs...

https://www.lobohistory.com/gamelogs/audio/marshall09062019.mp3

Marshall broadcast highlight's from 53-0 win over the Mavericks..

https://www.lobohistory.com/gamelogs/audio/opponents/marshallbroadcast09062019.mp3

11 minutes ago, ANTI said:

And didn't D2 have 4 of the top 10 AP teams in it? Westlake, LV, Cy Ranch and Vandegrift?

Nothing down or weak about that, D1 was stronger but the notion that D2 was weak only comes from a casual. Pretty sure Westlake blew out LT last year too.

The last really lopsided bracket that I remember in the top classification was 2004.

Say What GIFSay What GIFI'll give you third behind D1 R1 and R3, but 2nd????? nope. Dville and SLC was probably better or as good as anything in D2 honestly last season. Not a shot at LV, Dville was that good. SLC wasn't great, but they weren't scrubs either. Very good team. ET and Desoto wasn't bad themselves and yea I know who they lost to. From top to bottom that region was stronger because of the two teams at the top. Also, Allen in Region 2 in D1......wasn't some scrubs last season. From top to bottom, yea R2 in D2 was probably better, but the top team in both regions was probably Allen.

Again, R2 in D2 was Still a tough bracket, but not better than those two regions last year. You're ignoring the fact Westfield lost their QB and yall are giving Vandewhatever too much credit for their record. If WF still had their Qb and Klein Collins was the same program from a few years ago with a strong Lobo team, then I would definitely agree that region was tougher last season than D1 R1. But those are the facts...Westfield wasn't the same with their Qb gone and still made it far. Horn wasn't great last season and had a chance to meet yall again. And Westlake??? yea they beat LT, but was that the same team after the injuries?  Not taking anything away from anyone, but D1 was stronger from top to bottom regardless. Mostly because of North Shore, Dville, Katy, SLC and Allen. If you put the last three or four teams in D2 last season, who says they don't win or have a chance a title too? And yea, I understand you can say that a lot of years. We all know Lee wouldn't have a ring and trophy if Lufkin or Longview was in that bracket in 2004. 

correct, They did... but I guess when other teams outside of LISD do it, its because the div is weak...lol. 

Tell yourself what you want. I already said we had a favorable path in 2010 to pull off the run we did that year. Y'all beat the teams in front of you last season, but doesn't mean the division has a whole was strong. 

4 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Say What GIFI'll give you third behind D1 R1 and R3, but 2nd????? nope. Dville and SLC was probably better or as good as anything in D2 honestly last season. Not a shot at LV, Dville was that good. SLC wasn't great, but they weren't scrubs either. Very good team. ET and Desoto wasn't bad themselves and yea I know who they lost to. From top to bottom that region was stronger because of the two teams at the top. Also, Allen in Region 2 in D1......wasn't some scrubs last season. From top to bottom, yea R2 in D2 was probably better, but the top team in both regions was probably Allen.

Again, R2 in D2 was Still a tough bracket, but not better than those two regions last year. You're ignoring the fact Westfield lost their QB and yall are giving Vandewhatever too much credit for their record. If WF still had their Qb and Klein Collins was the same program from a few years ago with a strong Lobo team, then I would definitely agree that region was tougher last season than D1 R1. But those are the facts...Westfield wasn't the same with their Qb gone and still made it far. Horn wasn't great last season and had a chance to meet yall again. And Westlake??? yea they beat LT, but was that the same team after the injuries?  Not taking anything away from anyone, but D1 was stronger from top to bottom regardless. Mostly because of North Shore, Dville, Katy, SLC and Allen. If you put the last three or four teams in D2 last season, who says they don't win or have a chance a title too? And yea, I understand you can say that a lot of years. We all know Lee wouldn't have a ring and trophy if Lufkin or Longview was in that bracket in 2004. 

He literally said D1 are stronger though...

1 minute ago, LoboFan07 said:

Tell yourself what you want. I already said we had a favorable path in 2010 to pull off the run we did that year. Y'all beat the teams in front of you last season, but doesn't mean the division has a whole was strong. 

I felt like this year division is stronger than last years too. A lot of overrated teams in 5A last playoffs but it was still kinda tough. 

30 minutes ago, ANTI said:

I think you didn't get the context of my remark. I never said 6a div.2 was weak, I said it was down.. Also, I never said Longview won because of a weak draw. Actually I was saying that we shouldn't say either because we shouldn't diminish Lv's accomplishment of winning state.

In other words, my entire point is for people to stop hating, especially some of you Longview fans.  Everytime you guys accomplish something, you play it up, another team outside of LISD does the exact samething, well its not the same because......blah blah.   

Why not just congratulate JT on turning things around last yr instead of coming off like a hater and saying they only accomplish xyz because the division was weak.

I only brought up the notion that 6a div.2 was down just to see how you guys would react if someone said the same thing about your program, that Lobo07 said about JT...and obviously it hit a nerve like it should.  

Again, I don't care if 6a div.2 was up, down, left, right, You guys handle business last yr, and thats all that matters. 

9 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

We punched the ball out...how is that luck or a miracle?

Tascosa had already recovered one onside kick, which was a miracle. The play after to pull within one, was beyond luck. If Tascosa had pulled out that contest, it would've been nothing but a pure miracle lol. Longview controlled that game from the very get go, until the last five minutes. Nothing about that win last season was luck or a miracle. West Brook game was more of a miracle than that, just because the Bruins had a chance to go up two scores and missed the PAT giving us a chance. 

You could maybe argue that causing a fumble is skilled, but recovering a fumble is all luck.  No one knows which way the ball is going to bounce once the runner fumbles. It could bounce right back in  the hands of the runner or to one of his teamates, or out of bounds, or with LUCK, in the hands of the opposing team.

And  you just admitted that the West Brook game was a miracle game...so that still justifies my argument.

4 minutes ago, 3rdcoastent said:

We know what is going to happen if jt beats longview thursday we will the famous remarks "yall only beat us cuss we had injuires or you played the 3rd string team" lol watch

We have no injuries. We're coming in ready to show out as we do. 

If y'all beat us, we shouldn't be ranked at all. If y'all beat us, we definitely aren't state contenders.

• Like 1