Week Three: Longview at John Tyler

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (2-0) vs John Tyler Lions (0-1)  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • John Tyler in a close one
    • John Tyler in a blow out

29 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

how did LV do against JT and Lee Freshman and JV teams last yr?

Freshmen -
Longview 8, John Tyler 14
Longview 44, Tyler Lee 36

Longview freshmen started the year out horrendously. 1-3, with the only win over the Mavs and a huge blow out loss to Rockwall, before it finally clicked and they finished 2nd in district. They've already more than made up for their mistakes from last season on JV this year in two dominating wins.

Junior Varsity -
Longview 14, John Tyler 6
Longview 52, Tyler Lee 14

The JT game was the closest game they had all season. Next closest was a 34-14 win over Mesquite Horn. 

9 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Freshmen -
Longview 8, John Tyler 14
Longview 44, Tyler Lee 36

Longview freshmen started the year out horrendously. 1-3, with the only win over the Mavs and a huge blow out loss to Rockwall, before it finally clicked and they finished 2nd in district. They've already more than made up for their mistakes from last season on JV this year in two dominating wins.

Junior Varsity -
Longview 14, John Tyler 6
Longview 52, Tyler Lee 14

The JT game was the closest game they had all season. Next closest was a 34-14 win over Mesquite Horn. 

hmm. Lee Fresh beat JT 34-15 last yr and Lee JV won 12-8 last yr.  

23 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

hmm. Lee Fresh beat JT 34-15 last yr and Lee JV won 12-8 last yr.  

Longview hasn't lost to Lee on any level in nearly a decade.

Varsity has won 14 in a row, Junior Varsity has won 7 in a row (last loss in 2010), Freshmen has won 8 in a row with 1 tie to round up to a 9 game unbeaten streak (last loss 2008).

Longview 9th also scrimmaged Lee 9th the week before T-High and dominated.

Longview 9th has a pretty good defense. 

Offense is okay, but the stronger offenses are in Longview's 2022 (sophomores) and 2024 (8th) classes. Heavy emphasis on Longview's 2024 class, that's one of those 'special' classes. Judson may have the best 7th and 8th grade teams in Longview this year, they're loaded. Foster will be good as they always are. Forest Park...it may or may not show much in the W/L column but they have some ballers over there as well.

Anyway, that's not to say our 9th grade doesn't have some good offensive pieces. QB Landyn Grant (6'2 180) and WR Jalen Hale (6'2 175)  will have a storied connection over the next few years for Longview. Hale of course is on varsity however, 1st 9th grader that King has ever put on varsity.

30 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Longview 9th also scrimmaged Lee 9th the week before T-High and dominated.

Longview 9th has a pretty good defense. 

Offense is okay, but the stronger offenses are in Longview's 2022 (sophomores) and 2024 (8th) classes. Heavy emphasis on Longview's 2024 class, that's one of those 'special' classes. Judson may have the best 7th and 8th grade teams in Longview this year, they're loaded. Foster will be good as they always are. Forest Park...it may or may not show much in the W/L column but they have some ballers over there as well.

Anyway, that's not to say our 9th grade doesn't have some good offensive pieces. QB Landyn Grant (6'2 180) and WR Jalen Hale (6'2 175)  will have a storied connection over the next few years for Longview. Hale of course is on varsity however, 1st 9th grader that King has ever put on varsity.

It looks like we have had some gaps in our Fish team the last few years offensively...are we moving the better fish up to JV?  Makes Sense but seems to weaken the fish

15 hours ago, ANTI said:

D1R1 has D-Ville, SLC....who else?

That region is not as deep and competitive as D2R2 with LV, Westfield, Vandy, Cy-Ranch, Klein Collins....I mean any region where you could have a Longview-Midway 1st round game is obviously stacked. And don't let North Mesquite sneak into the playoffs in 11-6A like they very well could....that pushes top 10 Rockwall D2.

And the only reason people slander Vandy is because we blew them out. No one wants to give us the amount of credit we deserve for that win....they were undefeated, ranked high and tbh, I think I saw more people picking against Longview in that game than vice versa.

6AD1 R1 had Trinity, Desoto, Arlington Lamar and Lewisville...all of whom were pretty dang good last year......

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

6AD1 R1 had Trinity, Desoto, Arlington Lamar and Lewisville...all of whom were pretty dang good last year......

With all due respect, no one was thinking about post Lineweaver Trinity, a Mike Robinson led Desoto, Lamar or Lewisville winning Region 1 in D1. Those teams had good records but eh, wasn't a threat at semis to the masses. And it wasn't just because D-Ville was so good...those teams simply lacked the it factor and already had multiple, and questionable losses going into the playoffs. I know I watched Cedar Hill destroy Desoto last year and didn't think much of the Eagles. I don't think anyone was really ever super high on Trinity and if they were, they definitely backed off when Haltom laid the smackdown. Lamar and Lewisville....just nah lol

Meanwhile, going into the playoffs last year...you had 6-7 different teams who realistically could have won D2R2. Some liked Longview, some liked Westfield, some liked Vandy, some liked Collins, some liked Hendrickson, Cy-Ranch got alot of hype especially with them beating Westlake during the regular season....it definitely wasn't a foregone conclusion that LV would run away with Region 2 going into the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, ANTI said:

With all due respect, no one was thinking about post Lineweaver Trinity, a Mike Robinson led Desoto, Lamar or Lewisville winning Region 1 in D1. Those teams had good records but eh, wasn't a threat at semis to the masses. And it wasn't just because D-Ville was so good...those teams simply lacked the it factor and already had multiple, and questionable losses going into the playoffs. I know I watched Cedar Hill destroy Desoto last year and didn't think much of the Eagles. I don't think anyone was really ever super high on Trinity and if they were, they definitely backed off when Haltom laid the smackdown. Lamar and Lewisville....just nah lol

Meanwhile, going into the playoffs last year...you had 6-7 different teams who realistically could have won D2R2. Some liked Longview, some liked Westfield, some liked Vandy, some liked Collins, some liked Hendrickson, Cy-Ranch got alot of hype especially with them beating Westlake during the regular season....it definitely wasn't a foregone conclusion that LV would run away with Region 2 going into the playoffs. 

6A D1 R1 was better top to bottom than 6A D2 R2....no one was thinking about them winning the region because Duncanville was so incredibly dominant....but they were all good teams and on par IMO with Westfield a year ago....

Trinity had one loss to Haltom in the regular season (who ended up being pretty good) and beat semifinalist Midway and Sachse

Lamar only had one loss to Arlington in the regular season to Arlington

Desoto was down last year but put them in the 6A D2 R2 bracket and they are much better IMO, we act like they were a terrible team but their three losses were to Lake Ridge, Cedar Hill and Southlake....they weren't chopped liver either....

Lewisville probably had their best team since their heyday, they got off to a slow start but they got rolling in October and ended up with a really good defense...I mean they did "hold" Duncanville to 38, which was one of their lower outputs of the year....

1 minute ago, MattStepp said:

Trinity had one loss to Haltom in the regular season (who ended up being pretty good) and beat semifinalist Midway and Sachse

Lamar only had one loss to Arlington in the regular season to Arlington

Desoto was down last year but put them in the 6A D2 R2 bracket and they are much better IMO, we act like they were a terrible team but their three losses were to Lake Ridge, Cedar Hill and Southlake....they weren't chopped liver either....

Lake Ridge, Cedar Hill, Arlington and Haltom were all in 6A D2 R1 and none of them made it to the Semi Final game. 

Why would they perform better in Region II? Meh. I don't see it.

1 minute ago, LoboFan07 said:

Why would they perform better in Region II? Meh. I don't see it.

Yeah I don't either. Because Region 1 in D2 sure as hell wasn't anywhere near Region 2. Nevermind Longview, I guarantee you a Klein Collins or Cy Ranch would've made it to the semis in that region. 

Not to mention I saw Desoto and Westfield last year...gimme Westfield by multiple scores and that's without their starting QB. 

29 minutes ago, ANTI said:

I had y’all winning as soon as i saw the bracket. Heck, even before that i told y’all about it. I don’t know anyone that had Westfield winning after their Qb got hurt. I think a few on the 6A forum had Vandy. But most were saying Longview 

48 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

It looks like we have had some gaps in our Fish team the last few years offensively

The great thing about Longview classes.....if one class is missing something, either the class before it or the class behind it has it. 

2022 (sophomores) has a great OL and good backfield....but didn't have a DOMINANT QB or WR (although Dekaylon Taylor is a silent killer at WR but that's another story for another day lol) Well, 9th grade has Grant and Hale. 

The current 9th grade does have your typical good Longview runner at RB, but doesn't have a dominant RB. Well, 8th grade does with Willie Nelson at Judson....not to mention the sophomore class has Isailynn Taylor. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

I don’t know anyone that had Westfield winning after their Qb got hurt. 

Maybe you're right going into the playoffs, but when they beat Cy-Ranch.....yeah people really started talking them up. 

7 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

I had y’all winning as soon as i saw the bracket. Heck, even before that i told y’all about it. I don’t know anyone that had Westfield winning after their Qb got hurt. I think a few on the 6A forum had Vandy. But most were saying Longview 

I think most had Longview/Cy Ranch in the Quarters tbh. Vandy got a lot of build up that week from Westlake and Lake Travis fans. I think because they were so use to having Austin teams beat us.

5 minutes ago, ANTI said:

The great thing about Longview classes.....if one class is missing something, either the class before it or the class behind it has it.  

And something else I've noticed: there's never a shortage of big ol' boys to plug into the line. 

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Longview hasn't lost to Lee on any level in nearly a decade.

Varsity has won 14 in a row, Junior Varsity has won 7 in a row (last loss in 2010), Freshmen has won 8 in a row with 1 tie to round up to a 9 game unbeaten streak (last loss 2008).

wow. 

4 minutes ago, AKA said:

And something else I've noticed: there's never a shortage of big ol' boys to plug into the line. 

Yeah, Longview 9th DL is pretty big...which is something those sophomores didn't have. Size along the DL...although both DE's Jesse Fairchild and DK Stanford have good size and are pretty dominant sophomores.

2 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Yeah, Longview 9th DL is pretty big...which is something those sophomores didn't have. Size along the DL...although both DE's Jesse Fairchild and DK Stanford have good size and are pretty dominant sophomores.

Yea, y’all had two big guys on the fish line. The ends also put a lot of pressure on our Qb. 

14 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I think most had Longview/Cy Ranch in the Quarters tbh. Vandy got a lot of build up that week from Westlake and Lake Travis fans. I think because they were so use to having Austin teams beat us.

True...just don’t remember the hype around Westfield after the injury. I know some were surprised like wolf said after they won in the first few weeks, but then struggling with Horn showed me they weren’t on y’all level. And i read what Westfield fans were saying after that game about their Qb. Let’s just say, i wasn’t confident about picking them over lobos 

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

Yeah I don't either. Because Region 1 in D2 sure as hell wasn't anywhere near Region 2. Nevermind Longview, I guarantee you a Klein Collins or Cy Ranch would've made it to the semis in that region. 

Not to mention I saw Desoto and Westfield last year...gimme Westfield by multiple scores and that's without their starting QB. 

they'd perform better in Division II because I don't believe it was as strong as Division I...the computer rankings (both Padilla and Jerry) had Desoto, Lamar, Trinity and Lewisville ranked either ahead of Westfield or within 3 points (Trinity was ahead of Westfield in both)...so I'm not exactly out on an island with this take

55 minutes ago, ANTI said:

I know about the QB, what other dominant positions does LP have coming up?

Dominant? I didn’t see any huge standouts. A few good running backs and safeties. #6 at receiver was playing well until he got hurt. The only one i saw with size at that position. We did have good size on the lines too, similar to Lv.

I really only got to watch them against Longview and Huntsville in the scrimmage though.