Week Three: Longview at John Tyler

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (2-0) vs John Tyler Lions (0-1)  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • John Tyler in a close one
    • John Tyler in a blow out

3 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

I wish that i could hear some of his past conversations with coach Outlaw. Great coaches and some characters on and off the field lol..

Haha I remember disliking Outlaw simply because he had an insane record against us. And then I talked to him in 2011 before one of the games as he was relaxing outside of the field house at Longview and he was hilarious!  Very charismatic, and I could see how he inspired his team and assistant coaches so well. Sadly, he passed only a few months later.

Coach King had amazing sayings and one liners.... In addition to being told that I was "like playing with 10 guys" once after missing a block, he once told me, "You play worse every day, and right now you're in the middle of next month". At the time I felt bad but it always makes me laugh to think about now. 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 3

20 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

That makes me really sad to hear. I hope participation picks up again at JT. If we're better than they are, I don't want it to be because they lack participation or the numbers. 

Don't ever think they will have high numbers, but they should be able to get the numbers back up to the usual 45-50 on varsity.  They have a pretty decent freshman class this yr, and believe it or not, the freshman class last yr wasn't bad (I think they beat Longview), but they have been terrible on JV.  The Varsity, JV and Fresh teams last yr swept through district without a loss.  

I hear the groups coming up from the middle school ranks are decent too.  

These things come and go in cycles.  Tyler ISD rezoned a couple of yrs ago, probably benefited Lee more than JT in terms of providing players...but JT will rebound.

JT does return 90 percent of this offense next yr.  They can't get any worse.  But they lose probably 75% of the def.

15 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Part of this is what I was going to comment on as well.  Some Longview fans (mainly 1 in particular) is doom and gloom when Longview played a “bad game.”  But... they played a bad game and still won 42-0 against a traditionally very strong team loaded with athletes.  Bad teams don’t win by that margin on an off night.  Lobos will be fine.  JT will have to figure out what is wrong with their offense, especially with some of the opportunities their defense gave them.

I agree....the picks he threw were when his feet weren't set and he threw of his back foot.  when his feet were set, he threw some darts.. that's fixable. He can run the ball like a scalded dog and  that defense looked solid.  im like you, I think they'll be okay

3 hours ago, 85lobooldschool said:

We hear the same things every year.  We don't play like a veteran seasoned team or make several mistakes and a lot of people start having a fit .  Calm down Lobo faithful.  Bottom line is this team has to grow and learn.  Last year we entered the season with 5 returning players in the OL that started at one point the year before, and went to the semis.  They played against some of the best players in the country, so that was one reason we played so good there.  Even with that, we struggled at times.  The OL will be fine come playoff time.  QB play is off,  Haynes was the reason ESPN broadcast the game.  That is an immense amount of pressure for a young man to deal with.  He had the worst game he has ever had as a Lobo and we still won 42-0.  Haynes King will more than redeem himself before this season is over.  Penalties that's another story, but John King knows more about football than most of us combined, and I guarantee he will be addressing each issue.  4 turnovers,  multiple penalties, missed passes, mistake after mistake.  WE STILL WON 42-0!!!  These are 15,16,17, 18 year old kids not NFL Pro Bowlers.  Speaking of that, how many of us watch our favorite NFL team in preseason and don't see the PROFESSIONAL players we support making a lot of mistakes?  LOL  Calm Down, please and enjoy HS football.  Has anyone here heard of HPI?  Human Performance Improvement.  The first rule of HPI is all people are fallible, ALL.  Not some, not a select few ALL.  So give these kids and coaches a break.  The will right the ship.  If we lose a game along the way it's nit the end of the world.  GO LOBOS!!!!!!!

This. And enjoy the journey!!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Haha I remember disliking Outlaw simply because he had an insane record against us. And then I talked to him in 2011 before one of the games as he was relaxing outside of the field house at Longview and he was hilarious!  Very charismatic, and I could see how he inspired his team and assistant coaches so well. Sadly, he passed only a few months later.

Coach King had amazing sayings and one liners.... In addition to being told that I was "like playing with 10 guys" once after missing a block, he once told me, "You play worse every day, and right now you're in the middle of next month". At the time I felt bad but it always makes me laugh to think about now. 

Yep, I didn’t really like King too after that celebration at the playoff game in 2014 and plus us losing to Lv so many times. But I was really mad at my own team. However, he came to watch us against Corsi in 2015 before our playoff game and we got to meet him and I’m guessing the DC for Longview? Bald head and skinny guy. Both were very cool guys and had us laughing before the game talking about past games, refs and the rivalry....and of course Abe lol. They came up the steps not knowing who we were and just shook our hands. Just seemed like a good guy and had a lot of nice things to say about the Lufkin community and how it was similar to Longview. Heck of a personality similar to Coach Outlaw. It was good meeting him.

3 hours ago, 3rdcoastent said:

I said last night just put him at qb run wildcat all.game

That’s an option. But at some point he will have to throw the ball down field. If he can do that then that is a viable option.

#5 did not do a bad job throwing the football... the receivers just cannot catch. 

3 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

That's the thing... JT HAS the players. We played them 3x in 2001 as Freshmen. We won 15-0, 14-8, and 15-14. All were VERY close games, and we were lucky to win 2 of them. That showed me that JT had similar talent. 

By the time we were Seniors, it was a very different JT team we faced.

As bad as JT looked last night, I still think they can win district and maybe win a couple games in the playoffs.   

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

DCTF easily cover their 34 point spread  on the Lobos.   JT just needs to be thankful King was off last night, it would have been worse.   I just don't understand the grand hope JT has, because you can't fix what you ain't got. JT is going to wear Crawford out before the season s over.  He is about all JT can depend on right now.  I mean,  it got so bad the ESPN announcers started talking about Ribs and Peach Cobbler.  Tells me more about what's coming for Longview, since JT actually scored against Horn and Lee.

I said the same thing. It really is a shame. 

17 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

As bad as JT looked last night, I still think they can win district and maybe win a couple games in the playoffs.   

The lions have a good coach and y’all seem to have made improvements on special teams based on what some in the fanbase have said.

Defensively, y’all were good against the run until about the second quarter, probably because of the lack of depth and the team just getting tired being on the field too long. Lobos are pretty good too. Secondary left a few people open, but also got 3 and almost 4 ints. So, definitely. They can win district. It’s all about the offense. Probably the worse offense that I’ve seen this year.

They have to be able to score against North and others in your district. The teams in our district are down, but that first round game won’t be easy and then a talented Lancaster team y’all beat by 12 last year will be waiting. Just a lot to be fixed on that side, but it’s possible because of the defense and special teams.

I would be concerned though, because the looks on the coaches faces said a lot last night. They really couldn’t figure it out on that side. Then, I always remember what someone told me about the third or fourth game of the season. That’s usually who you are as a team. May not be true for every team and the cujo. It wasn’t true for Lufkin in 2012. It was definitely true for the defense though. But if you can’t get anything going against Trinity on that side, at least some points, i would start to wonder if it can get better. 

28 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

I know I've only seen T High in a scrimmage, but that Tiger team we saw a couple weeks ago would've beaten JT last night. I have no doubts about that. 

Good luck to y'all the rest of the way though. Interested to see how y'all do in that district. 

2 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

I haven't seen a JT team look like this since the early 2000's...their uni's wasn't even nice

• LOL! 2

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I know I've only seen T High in a scrimmage, but that Tiger team we saw a couple weeks ago would've beaten JT last night. I have no doubts about that. 

Good luck to y'all the rest of the way though. Interested to see how y'all do in that district. 

its not a foregone conclusion at all.  THigh has improved, and North can score.  But I think JT is in the discussion of winning the district. At this point, I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't win it at all.

On 9/12/2019 at 9:43 PM, LoboFan80 said:

I was wondering the same thing when i found out he was a senior.

He's actually a returning starter at FB.

We hardly ever ran with him in 2018....his main job was blocking for Jessie in those jumbo packages.

14 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

No, he's an idiot because he says things extremely negative things and makes predictions that are WRONG 99% of the time. 

Sounds like someone else I know! 

Lol.

Its so comical how the same ones that claim Rockwall will beat us every year have clearly never seen Rockwall play.

Their defense is much worse than our offense and its not even close.

But you gotta actually pay attention to know that.

2 hours ago, ANTI said:

The same HP that put 70+ on a Rockwall team that apparently will beat Longview in a few weeks.

Lmao.

That Rockwall fan made the excuse it was the first week lol. I think he said HP would also score a lot of points against every team they played this year. I still don’t understand why they are so content with that style of play. 

4 hours ago, Pack007 said:

That Rockwall fan made the excuse it was the first week lol. I think he said HP would also score a lot of points against every team they played this year. I still don’t understand why they are so content with that style of play. 

Yeah...I'm sorry but if you're going to do big things...not just win games....you gonna need defense. Can't outscore everyone.

• Like 2