Weak1: Seats Still Empty for Several Teams as NFL’s 100th Season Kicks Off

3 hours ago, SloppyJoe said:

I haven't heard if anyone is still kneeling or not 

I heard a rumor that Tampa Bay was in a huge financial bind before the season. Green Bay proposed that they could consolidate like the Bears and Cardinals and Steelers and Cardinals did years ago. The team would have been known as the Tampacks and to further cut costs, there would have been no second string.

• LOL! 4

The thing is every team they mentioned in the article didn't make the playoffs last year.  While there was some hope for Cleveland to "make" the Super Bowl this year, they Brownsed again.  Another thing to add to the mix are ticket prices.  Just checking ticket prices for a Houston Texans game start at $45.  That doesn't take into account the cost to get to the stadium which would be around $12 from where I live round trip, parking that is $10 and up, concessions that are $8 and up for something I can buy at the convenience store for $1 or less.  Poor visibility of the game from the stated cheap seat where I would need binoculars or watch the game on a big screen.  It would cost $100 + just for one person to go to a game.  Think about that cost X2 - 8 depending on how many people would go.  

What's best for me ?  $0 watching from home, nice comfy couch, concessions of all kinds for less than $25 and I don't have to worry about a car accident or DWI from driving home after the game if I've consumed too many.  I said after the last game I went to back in 1997 that I would never buy another ticket.  I enjoy the game from home far more.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

The thing is every team they mentioned in the article didn't make the playoffs last year.  While there was some hope for Cleveland to "make" the Super Bowl this year, they Brownsed again.  Another thing to add to the mix are ticket prices.  Just checking ticket prices for a Houston Texans game start at $45.  That doesn't take into account the cost to get to the stadium which would be around $12 from where I live round trip, parking that is $10 and up, concessions that are $8 and up for something I can buy at the convenience store for $1 or less.  Poor visibility of the game from the stated cheap seat where I would need binoculars or watch the game on a big screen.  It would cost $100 + just for one person to go to a game.  Think about that cost X2 - 8 depending on how many people would go.  

What's best for me ?  $0 watching from home, nice comfy couch, concessions of all kinds for less than $25 and I don't have to worry about a car accident or DWI from driving home after the game if I've consumed too many.  I said after the last game I went to back in 1997 that I would never buy another ticket.  I enjoy the game from home far more.  

Only time I've ever been to an NFL game, somebody has given us tickets. Never paid for a single ticket and never will. That goes for college football and NBA. Now for hockey or baseball, I'll buy a cheap ticket because there isn't really a bad seat to watch those games, but I'll stuff myself fat before the game just so I don't have to pay concession prices, including alcohol. But I'm with you. 

4 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

Only time I've ever been to an NFL game, somebody has given us tickets. Never paid for a single ticket and never will. That goes for college football and NBA. Now for hockey or baseball, I'll buy a cheap ticket because there isn't really a bad seat to watch those games, but I'll stuff myself fat before the game just so I don't have to pay concession prices, including alcohol. But I'm with you. 

Even baseball prices are going up, at least for the Astros games.  There are empty seats at all Astros games, and what usually happens is these seats are purchased by resellers or season ticket holders that either can resale the seats or have something planned that day, and don't attend the games.  I wish they would stop selling to the stub hubs, ticketmaster, seatgeek, ticketiq's, and other services that do it.  They should sell them directly to the fans.  I would propose to them that they work with ushers to monitor seats at games, and report the seats that aren't being used to the ticket office after the 1st quarter of football and basketball games, and the third inning for baseball games.  Then sell them at a discounted rate to people who want to attend the games.  I know that could cause a huge headache with parking, but when they're charging $20+ for parking that would bring in more revenue.  

I do know that the old Starplex in Dallas at Fair Park used to have what they called the grasshopper program.  Once the first act began to play they would sell closer seats for only $10 more.  After I found out about that program, I only purchased lawn seats, and then bought premium seats for only $45 instead of $125-250 more.  I felt like I had made a bargain on those deals, because I had some seats that were only 15-20 rows from the stage.