NCAA Warns California that ‘Fair Pay’ Bill is ‘Unconstitutional’

RETIREDFAN1

Athletes are basically already being paid.  I do think the NCAA should change it's rules on some aspects on what athletes can make money doing such as signing autographs or jersey sales if they use the players name on the back.  They already receive a small stipend which should help them, and they can always get a part time job.  California is just going to California and mess up their schools if they go through with this.  

We have two different governing bodies. California can authorize athletes receiving renumeration. NCAA can declare the athletes ineligible for competition. If schools play the ineligible athletes, they face forfeiture of the game and sanctions. The losers will be the school’s. It is a slippery slope with overzealous athletic supporters.

Personally, I would like to see the NFL created a development league for those that value the money over education. 

Well here's my 2 cents....California is in a budget crisis (not surprised). If you look and I have not yet ut if you make the students able to be paid then the state can tax ALL of them (girls included)  for their scholarships and any other monies they receive.  So... they will probably be taxed around 50% tax rate out there or more.(title 9 will screw everyone equally). I think this is about more than CA thinking they are doing good but really being underhanded to make the state money in the end. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well the taxes in California would probably run you 45 to 50% federal and state ( Berkeley might bump you to 60%) unless I'm totally wrong heck just social security for them would be 15.3%. I want them to have to pay this cause then unless you're elite (endorsement wise) it would kill all California college athletics....  

Edited by knothead58

this is really a mess for most schools, when it happens nationally. the wealthiest schools, with the deepest pocketed alumni bases will blow by the rest. it will open up a situation that was "under the water", "behind the curtain"...secret through the 70's and early 80's (and some today). you'll have "those big schools" with a committee (actually already working now in preparation)...to be ready to have offers available to "big time recruits" to show them what coming to a Texas or and Alabama or a "school X" will be like. come here and on day 1, there will be 75000 of your jersey sold that you $1 from. each Thursday, you can sign autographs at a business and there will 2500 plus people there and you'll $10 a pop for that. "Bright's Cadillac" will pay you $100000 to appear in commercials for the dealership, on TV around the Austin/Dallas/Houston or Tuscaloosa/Birmingham area and then since those are Nike school's...Nike jumps in with a "local" advertising deal for them at $100000 for the same "regions". it could be "great" for the stars of the teams and nothing big at all for the scrubs. the also ran schools will be left in the dirt unless there are some real regulations in place laying out everything, but bring back on NCAA 2023 for XBOX One!!! 

oh, just about every state will within months (using the CA date as the start date because then no kid now - unless they stayed for grad stuff would be a part of it...just new recruiting groups going forward). 

I would imagine...with the threat to the NCAA that they will all just break away and start another "higher division"...much the way the NCAA was originally created.

3 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I haven't read any into the bill.  Is it just for the student athletes making money off their name, likeness, autographs, etc ?  Or is it an all out employment bill that allows the universities to pay the athletes a salary?

I think it applies to the former, but I see the latter happening to compensate. 

I'm all for student athletes making money off of their name (ex. NCAA Football game, YouTube, Instagram, etc.) but when you get in to autographs and some of this other stuff, this is where it gets dangerous imo. Boosters can toss a lot of money at recruits, the shoe companies can get involved with these kids like we've seen in basketball. I just don't think it's a good idea. What happens to recruiting for these smaller schools? Now, I could be misinterpreting this bill, but that's what I get from it. 

12 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I think it applies to the former, but I see the latter happening to compensate. 

I'm all for student athletes making money off of their name (ex. NCAA Football game, YouTube, Instagram, etc.) but when you get in to autographs and some of this other stuff, this is where it gets dangerous imo. Boosters can toss a lot of money at recruits, the shoe companies can get involved with these kids like we've seen in basketball. I just don't think it's a good idea. What happens to recruiting for these smaller schools? Now, I could be misinterpreting this bill, but that's what I get from it. 

I don’t care if they set up and charge $10 for an autograph or such.  Thats fine.  Yea a booster could give them as much as they want, but who wants the third team RGs autograph.  This won’t affect recruiting.  What will cause a landslide in recruiting is when a university can give $250k for a LOI.  That’s when the left coast schools will have shot themselves in the foot.

• Stinks 1

18 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I don’t care if they set up and charge $10 for an autograph or such.  Thats fine.  Yea a booster could give them as much as they want, but who wants the third team RGs autograph.  This won’t affect recruiting.  What will cause a landslide in recruiting is when a university can give $250k for a LOI.  That’s when the left coast schools will have shot themselves in the foot.

But don't we already see that happening in college basketball? As in, you know they are getting paid under the table by "coaches" (via shoe companies) and have been probably since high school. KU, DUKE, UCLA, and all of those big name schools are so deep in AAU and these shoe companies that, if it weren't for march madness, nobody would care to watch basketball because you have the same teams winning it every single year. I guess that's my concern and what I'm afraid this turns too. 

32 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

the $250k signing for the LOI will come in the form of a promissory contract I would imagine, like I mentioned.

yes, basketball has been doing some of this under the table with Nike and Adidas. that's also what I was referring to, that this will now be wide open. kids can not sign a contract with say Adidas if the school is a Nike school...but say for Duke or Kentucky that are Nike...bang the top players get signed to "very nice" Nike deals immediately to advertise around there locally and possibly some nationally. same for Alabama and Texas, Nike school...if this was now...Tua and Sam would be cashing in with lucrative 1-yr deals to advertise Nike. it's the slope, but it's where the big schools will get even "richer". schools will have to rethink their apparel/shoe contracts so they can get better players...signed (depending who is willing to "help with advertising"). think about those wealthy alumni that have businesses in Austin. how many would love an excuse to pay Sam or a stud 5-star to come to Texas rather than A&M, Oklahoma, or Bama? it will be a huge part of an LOI.

schools may pay a tiny amount to ALL players...I can't see the schools getting too much into paying when the alumni and boosters will

at the Power Five, each player can be given between $2000 and $4000 a year now as a "cost of living" cash advance...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

This could spell the end for the NCAA ... If it does, hopefully it will blow up their invitational tournament football scheme  ...

...and FORCE a real playoff on them......some good may come out of it yet......

• Thanks 1