The Smoakhouse Forums
Sign in to follow this  
WestHardinfan1

NCAA Warns California that ‘Fair Pay’ Bill is ‘Unconstitutional’

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2019/09/12/ncaa-warns-california-that-fair-pay-bill-is-unconstitutional/

Ban all California colleges and universities from competition outside of the land of fruits and nuts until they repeal this travesty........

Athletes are basically already being paid.  I do think the NCAA should change it's rules on some aspects on what athletes can make money doing such as signing autographs or jersey sales if they use the players name on the back.  They already receive a small stipend which should help them, and they can always get a part time job.  California is just going to California and mess up their schools if they go through with this.  

We have two different governing bodies. California can authorize athletes receiving renumeration. NCAA can declare the athletes ineligible for competition. If schools play the ineligible athletes, they face forfeiture of the game and sanctions. The losers will be the school’s. It is a slippery slope with overzealous athletic supporters.

Personally, I would like to see the NFL created a development league for those that value the money over education. 

Well here's my 2 cents....California is in a budget crisis (not surprised). If you look and I have not yet ut if you make the students able to be paid then the state can tax ALL of them (girls included)  for their scholarships and any other monies they receive.  So... they will probably be taxed around 50% tax rate out there or more.(title 9 will screw everyone equally). I think this is about more than CA thinking they are doing good but really being underhanded to make the state money in the end. 

• Thanks 1