NCAA Warns California that ‘Fair Pay’ Bill is ‘Unconstitutional’

RETIREDFAN1

4 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

This could spell the end for the NCAA ... If it does, hopefully it will blow up their invitational tournament football scheme  ...

Weren’t you the biggest fan of UCF to the cfp a tear or two ago?  If so, this will guarantee they’ll never get a shot.  As of now, there’s a chance albeit very small.  With this there’ll be 0% chance.  

• Stinks 1

39 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Weren’t you the biggest fan of UCF to the cfp a tear or two ago?  If so, this will guarantee they’ll never get a shot.  As of now, there’s a chance albeit very small.  With this there’ll be 0% chance.  

Wrong ... blowing up their invitational tournament would be the best thing that could happen ... an actual playoff with conference champions could take place .... all conference champs at a minimum should be included in any playoff ... and yes, UCF should have been included ....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

Wrong ... blowing up their invitational tournament would be the best thing that could happen ... an actual playoff with conference champions could take place .... all conference champs at a minimum should be included in any playoff ... and yes, UCF should have been included ....

Paying for players/recruiting would put the same 8-10 teams in the mix annually.  Teams like UCF wouldn’t stand a chance with their extremely smaller team payrolls.  All the blue chips would be on teams that afford the best talent and give them a shot at the playoffs.  

3 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Paying for players/recruiting would put the same 8-10 teams in the mix annually.  Teams like UCF wouldn’t stand a chance with their extremely smaller team payrolls.  All the blue chips would be on teams that afford the best talent and give them a shot at the playoffs.  

Wrong again... you still don't get it  ... I'm not talking about the merits of paying players or not ... I'm strictly talking about blowing up their invitational tournament phony playoff ... and including ALL conference champions ... 

16 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Wrong again... you still don't get it  ... I'm not talking about the merits of paying players or not ... I'm strictly talking about blowing up their invitational tournament phony playoff ... and including ALL conference champions ... 

I understand what you’re saying.  But until the cfp changes from 4 teams that’s the way it’ll be. If that doesn’t change, and the pay to play happens, g5 teams won’t have any chance as the talent will stockpile in the richest of rich.  It’ll be the same 7-8 teams vying for the playoffs each year.  There will have to be a new governing body to change away from the cfp.  

9 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

I understand what you’re saying.  But until the cfp changes from 4 teams that’s the way it’ll be. If that doesn’t change, and the pay to play happens, g5 teams won’t have any chance as the talent will stockpile in the richest of rich.  It’ll be the same 7-8 teams vying for the playoffs each year.  There will have to be a new governing body to change away from the cfp.  

And people will grow tired of watching that and college football will dry up and go away like the NFL is beginning to do........

43 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

Lou Holtz Rips CA Athlete Pay Law: ‘You Go to School to Get an Education’

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2019/10/02/lou-holtz-rips-ca-lathlete-pay-law-you-go-school-get-education/

I know a lot of people hate this argument, but he's right. Truth be told, these athletes have it made pretty good.

I dated a girl in college who played D1 soccer. She got free meals, clothes, a nice little stipend, and she got a free education. And that was just women's soccer. These athletes say "we don't get paid", uhhh yeah you do. On top of a stipend, you get free meals, basically free health care (i.e. trainer, doctor), free education... and the list can go on depending on the school. 

Pay for play will fail in the long run ... it would totally ruin amateur football at the college level ... I don't see this working out as advertised by the kooks in Kalifornia and Florida believe ... I agree many of the NCAA rules need to be tweaked,  but what the libtard Gov of Kalifornia is doing is not the answer ...

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

I actually think it could lead to another realignment on the giant scale...as in jumping from FBS to FCS, D1 to D2, NCAA to NAIA, etc...where schools after realizing the giant chasms between the have's and have not's and seeing that they have been able to put together winning opportunities a couple times a decade now, to literally a chance to not get much better than a winning record if that. Those marginal schools (without the big $$ boosters and major businesses around them to lure the talent), to get bang for the buck will say we could move to this other division where the $$ out to the kids will be equal straight across the board because they aren't selling jerseys, really having big autograph show opportunities, video games, commercials, etc - so the recruiting will be more like they are seeing now. If a player falls through the D1, big time cracks then you get a good shot at them...plus you get that real college playoff system in all the other divisions. 

I don't think all conferences will be included...maybe in name (all are "included" now), but actually get a real shot. No! Unless they really increase things to 16 to 24 teams in a playoff, then there will forever be the good, dink schools that have many a wasted seasons.

I don't know that this will have as big of an impact on the talent dispersion as might be expected. Teams like UT, A&M, Bama, Georgia, Clemson, OU, Florida, FSU, USC, Oregon etc. aren't recruiting against the G5 teams of the world for kids to begin with. 

I think if anything, this could lead us closer to a new football division being created where the "Power 5" break off (or the group of 5 break off) and form their own championship.

5 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I actually think it could lead to another realignment on the giant scale...as in jumping from FBS to FCS, D1 to D2, NCAA to NAIA, etc...where schools after realizing the giant chasms between the have's and have not's and seeing that they have been able to put together winning opportunities a couple times a decade now, to literally a chance to not get much better than a winning record if that. Those marginal schools (without the big $$ boosters and major businesses around them to lure the talent), to get bang for the buck will say we could move to this other division where the $$ out to the kids will be equal straight across the board because they aren't selling jerseys, really having big autograph show opportunities, video games, commercials, etc - so the recruiting will be more like they are seeing now. If a player falls through the D1, big time cracks then you get a good shot at them...plus you get that real college playoff system in all the other divisions. 

I don't think all conferences will be included...maybe in name (all are "included" now), but actually get a real shot. No! Unless they really increase things to 16 to 24 teams in a playoff, then there will forever be the good, dink schools that have many a wasted seasons.

I was typing mine as you posted yours...I tend to agree, I think this moves us closer to a "power 5" division in and of itself for football. 

On 9/12/2019 at 1:00 PM, WestHardinfan1 said:

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2019/09/12/ncaa-warns-california-that-fair-pay-bill-is-unconstitutional/

Ban all California colleges and universities from competition outside of the land of fruits and nuts until they repeal this travesty........

Strongly agree. Good idea. All sensible states should do that and boycott/ban all CA sports from competition, even curling and badmitton!!

2 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Pay for play will fail in the long run ... it would totally ruin amateur football at the college level ... I don't see this working out as advertised by the kooks in Kalifornia and Florida believe ... I agree many of the NCAA rules need to be tweaked,  but what the libtard Gov of Kalifornia is doing is not the answer ...

Dat right KirtFalcon. Well said. 

again, I have not read anything in any legislation that the schools will be paying kids (maybe some small bit from their jersey sold in the bookstore or team store)...

the money will come from private people and companies (and some publicly owned companies of course) for advertising, etc...free money to hand out to whatever kid they want.

some smaller state schools may bellyache that it's going to cost more taxpayer money, but those are also probably the same schools either not paying a cost of living stipend to their players now or picking and choosing which players get it (worrying about that line of the budget)...instead of every guy getting the max $4000 now.

4 hours ago, TxFight said:

I don't know that this will have as big of an impact on the talent dispersion as might be expected. Teams like UT, A&M, Bama, Georgia, Clemson, OU, Florida, FSU, USC, Oregon etc. aren't recruiting against the G5 teams of the world for kids to begin with. 

I think if anything, this could lead us closer to a new football division being created where the "Power 5" break off (or the group of 5 break off) and form their own championship.

I think the g5 teams will benefit but it’ll be after the recruits have sat the bench for a few years, haven’t built their own brand and are looking to make a name for themselves.   The transfer portal will be full after kids get a 1-2 year contract for perks, benefits, “likeness” payments, contract runs out, etc....  I think you’ll see contracts signed along with LOI’s.  That’s where this will ruin the recruiting and overall greatness of college ball.  They won’t be able to say you’re paying for players if the contracts are for upfront payments for their autograph services, “likeness”, jersey sells, etc...,

1 hour ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

again, I have not read anything in any legislation that the schools will be paying kids (maybe some small bit from their jersey sold in the bookstore or team store)...

the money will come from private people and companies (and some publicly owned companies of course) for advertising, etc...free money to hand out to whatever kid they want.

some smaller state schools may bellyache that it's going to cost more taxpayer money, but those are also probably the same schools either not paying a cost of living stipend to their players now or picking and choosing which players get it (worrying about that line of the budget)...instead of every guy getting the max $4000 now.

As far as the jersey sales.....  who gets the money for Texas jersey #12?  Colt or Earl?  Or what about #6?  Quan Cosby or Devin Duvernay?  If there’s not a name on it there’s confusion.   Is it just current players?  What about the ones who really shined and gave that jersey number Any fan recognition?  That’s another reason I think this is stupid.  There’s just too much confusion.  Leave it to California.  This is like banning plastic straws, but giving you a styrofoam cup and plastic lid for your to go order?!?!  Makes little sense in the long run

27 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

As far as the jersey sales.....  who gets the money for Texas jersey #12?  Colt or Earl?  Or what about #6?  Quan Cosby or Devin Duvernay?  If there’s not a name on it there’s confusion.   Is it just current players?  What about the ones who really shined and gave that jersey number Any fan recognition?  That’s another reason I think this is stupid.  There’s just too much confusion.  Leave it to California.  This is like banning plastic straws, but giving you a styrofoam cup and plastic lid for your to go order?!?!  Makes little sense in the long run

from what I've heard, it's implied (if no name) that it's the current #12...this may be weird with the multiple #12's #30's, etc. -- I'm sure there will be a fee up front in their contract (that one would be with Fanatics or Efollett or whoever runs their book/athletic stores).

47 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I really don't think this is a good idea for about a thousand different reasons ..... but if it breaks up the stranglehold the NCAA has on college athletics, it may be worth it ....

I’d rather see a governing body like the ncaa control college football’s interest than somebody like espn.  When it becomes money driven it’ll go sour.  These student athletes are considered amateur athletes hoping to become professionals.  I’m not understanding how others don’t understand that.  They’re getting a free education and everything they could need paid for for up to four years.  They also receive stipends to help cover other expenses.  Not to mention state of the art fitness, strength & conditioning and training.  The only flaws I have with the ncaa is their lack of enforcement of the rules they have in place and their enforcement of the transfer system.  

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I’d rather see a governing body like the ncaa control college football’s interest than somebody like espn.  When it becomes money driven it’ll go sour.  These student athletes are considered amateur athletes hoping to become professionals.  I’m not understanding how others don’t understand that.  They’re getting a free education and everything they could need paid for for up to four years.  They also receive stipends to help cover other expenses.  Not to mention state of the art fitness, strength & conditioning and training.  The only flaws I have with the ncaa is their lack of enforcement of the rules they have in place and their enforcement of the transfer system.  

The NCAA is corrupt to the core ... they have far too much power in dictating rules their selective enforcement .... there are hundreds of millions of dollars at stake and arbitrarily excluding conferences from their playoff scheme is criminal in my opinion ... yes, we need a governing body to fairly administer the programs .... the NCAA is far from meeting that criteria .... I would love to see the NCAA lose control of their monopoly ....