NCAA Warns California that ‘Fair Pay’ Bill is ‘Unconstitutional’

RETIREDFAN1

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

I’d rather see a governing body like the ncaa control college football’s interest than somebody like espn.  When it becomes money driven it’ll go sour.  These student athletes are considered amateur athletes hoping to become professionals.  I’m not understanding how others don’t understand that.  They’re getting a free education and everything they could need paid for for up to four years.  They also receive stipends to help cover other expenses.  Not to mention state of the art fitness, strength & conditioning and training.  The only flaws I have with the ncaa is their lack of enforcement of the rules they have in place and their enforcement of the transfer system.  

If I had free breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day during college... man, that would have been real nice.

44 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

The NCAA is corrupt to the core ... they have far too much power in dictating rules their selective enforcement .... there are hundreds of millions of dollars at stake and arbitrarily excluding conferences from their playoff scheme is criminal in my opinion ... yes, we need a governing body to fairly administer the programs .... the NCAA is far from meeting that criteria .... I would love to see the NCAA lose control of their monopoly ....

I’m not so sure why you’re hung up on the g5 teams not being given a “fair” shake.  They know their schedules are weaker as a whole.  They’ve been told this as well and still fail to beef their schedule up.  P5 teams are left out of the playoffs for having 3-4 g5 teams, so you should realize that having a schedule full of g5 teams is a hindrance.  Boise has bowed up and stated anytime and anywhere but when thrown the challenge they back down.  Ucf (the team you love to cry about) just said the same thing but when The university of Florida offered them a 3 game series it was deemed unfair as they’d didn’t get but one return trip.  Obviously beefing up their schedule isn’t a priority.  If you have a need and someone else can meet that need, you should dance to their music, but Some like to just have something to gripe about.   I have no complaints if the NCAA made the playoffs for P5 only.  They’re not however as that would arbitrarily take the chances for the g5 teams completely out.  There is a chance as of now, but they have to beef their schedules.  Not with ole Miss, Kansas or UCLA either.  They need to go into Georgia’s house, or Washington’s, Florida’s, Texas’ and prove they belong.  You can’t expect a huge blue blood to come play in your 25,000 capacity stadium when they can make far more money playing at home.  It’s really simple.  The college football playoff really isn’t that far off of the way the BCS was picked.  There is actually a little more human thought and intelligence put into it.  So to say it’s an invitational tournament is incorrect.  It’s the 4 best teams picked.  Yes there have been some instances where a deserving team might have been left out, but it was a P5 champion that was, not a g5 team that played maybe one or two lower ranked teams.  The playoff committee demands you prove yourselves.  You want in, prove to them you want in.  Schedule some big boys, at there place.   And for the love of God don’t dirty the sheets against Pitt 

• Like 1
  • Stinks 2

12 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

If I had free breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day during college... man, that would have been real nice.

A meal plan is quite a nice treat, but think about the nutrition dept for athletes at places like Texas, Bama, etc.  you can bet they’re eating really well on a daily basis.  

I’m not so sure why you’re hung up on the g5 teams not being given a “fair” shake.  They know their schedules are weaker as a whole.  They’ve been told this as well and still fail to beef their schedule up.  P5 teams are left out of the playoffs for having 3-4 g5 teams, so you should realize that having a schedule full of g5 teams is a hindrance.  Boise has bowed up and stated anytime and anywhere but when thrown the challenge they back down.  Ucf (the team you love to cry about) just said the same thing but when The university of Florida offered them a 3 game series it was deemed unfair as they’d didn’t get but one return trip.  Obviously beefing up their schedule isn’t a priority.  If you have a need and someone else can meet that need, you should dance to their music, but Some like to just have something to gripe about.   I have no complaints if the NCAA made the playoffs for P5 only.  They’re not however as that would arbitrarily take the chances for the g5 teams completely out.  There is a chance as of now, but they have to beef their schedules.  Not with ole Miss, Kansas or UCLA either.  They need to go into Georgia’s house, or Washington’s, Florida’s, Texas’ and prove they belong.  You can’t expect a huge blue blood to come play in your 25,000 capacity stadium when they can make far more money playing at home.  It’s really simple.  The college football playoff really isn’t that far off of the way the BCS was picked.  There is actually a little more human thought and intelligence put into it.  So to say it’s an invitational tournament is incorrect.  It’s the 4 best teams picked.  Yes there have been some instances where a deserving team might have been left out, but it was a P5 champion that was, not a g5 team that played maybe one or two lower ranked teams.  The playoff committee demands you prove yourselves.  You want in, prove to them you want in.  Schedule some big boys, at there place.   And for the love of God don’t dirty the sheets against Pitt 

I couldn't disagree with your assessment more .... everything you said about schedules and biased outcomes is all based on your personal bias and speculation ... you don't know these non Big 5 conference teams could not compete with or beat any of the Big 5 teams, it's all based on biased speculation  ....  that's  exactly why we need a real playoff that doesn't arbitrarily exclude perceived weaker conferences ... there's too much money involved to make that kind of arbitrarily exclusion ... the BCS was flawed as well ... the champion needs to be crowned on the field, not by some biased selection committee eliminating the competition  ....

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Absolutely agree here. I have ZERO respect for G5 teams who want to act like they deserve a shot at a title simply because they beat a bunch of other G5 teams and then occasionally one P5 team along the way. I’ve never understood some people’s love affair with them being automatically added to the playoff. 

24 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I couldn't disagree with your assessment more .... everything you said about schedules and biased outcomes is all based on your personal bias and speculation ... you don't know these non Big 5 conference teams could not compete with or beat any of the Big 5 teams, it's all based on biased speculation  ....  that's  exactly why we need a real playoff that doesn't arbitrarily exclude perceived weaker conferences ... there's too much money involved to make that kind of arbitrarily exclusion ... the BCS was flawed as well ... the champion needs to be crowned on the field, not by some biased selection committee eliminating the competition  ....

Lol the P5 teams are playing the best competition.  I don’t know how else to say it.  The proof is in the pudding.  Let ucf or Boise schedule 4 of Georgia, Texas, LSU, OU, Wisconsin, Washington, Auburn, penn state, etc....  and see how they come out.  They might can pick one off with a month of prep time, but the difference is in the depth of the teams.  Ucf lost to Pitt.  Enough said, that with their schedule takes them out of the playoff consideration.  But if they played at least 3 top team and only came out with one loss they’d have consideration.  They’ve been told this by the committee to, but won’t schedule them.  They’re taking themselves out of consideration

9 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Absolutely agree here. I have ZERO respect for G5 teams who want to act like they deserve a shot at a title simply because they beat a bunch of other G5 teams and then occasionally one P5 team along the way. I’ve never understood some people’s love affair with them being automatically added to the playoff. 

Hey, every now and then there’s one that can legitimately compete with them.  I can remember some of TCUs teams, Boise a time or two, ucf one year, but they didn’t show they could during the year.  These guys need to start playing the big names.  Even if they have to do it on the road.  Then when they do beat them they’ll get the respect they’re begging for

27 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Hey, every now and then there’s one that can legitimately compete with them.  I can remember some of TCUs teams, Boise a time or two, ucf one year, but they didn’t show they could during the year.  These guys need to start playing the big names.  Even if they have to do it on the road.  Then when they do beat them they’ll get the respect they’re begging for

I’m not saying they aren’t capable of getting up for a game and giving a legit power 5 a scare. But they they can’t do it over a season... Nearly every one of those mid majors that had great seasons over the years would have dropped 2-3 games minimum in p5 conferences. I do not think they could handle the depth. 

You are right though. If they schedule those road games and knock off a couple of ranked p5 teams per season, I could get behind them getting an outside look. But it would take 2-3 legit top 25 road wins for me to think the deserve that playoff spot. If you guarantee one gets it, you take their incentive to play risky games away and their schedules would likely get even weaker just trying to go undefeated and be the highest ranked G5 team. 

Lol the P5 teams are playing the best competition.  I don’t know how else to say it.  The proof is in the pudding.  Let ucf or Boise schedule 4 of Georgia, Texas, LSU, OU, Wisconsin, Washington, Auburn, penn state, etc....  and see how they come out.  They might can pick one off with a month of prep time, but the difference is in the depth of the teams.  Ucf lost to Pitt.  Enough said, that with their schedule takes them out of the playoff consideration.  But if they played at least 3 top team and only came out with one loss they’d have consideration.  They’ve been told this by the committee to, but won’t schedule them.  They’re taking themselves out of consideration

Again, you are arbitrarily deciding who can beat who based on biased speculation, just like the invitational selection committee ... anything can happen on any given Saturday  .... the Nick Sabans and the Urban Myers don't want the other conferences included because they are afraid they might get embarrassed  ... they would rather let the selection committee "beat" those teams ... lol ...

26 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Again, you are arbitrarily deciding who can beat who based on biased speculation, just like the invitational selection committee ... anything can happen on any given Saturday  .... the Nick Sabans and the Urban Myers don't want the other conferences included because they are afraid they might get embarrassed  ... they would rather let the selection committee "beat" those teams ... lol ...

Yes, anything can happen on any given Saturday.  So until the g5 teams start scheduling, playing, and beat the good to better P5 teams in the regular season, they’ll continue to be unproven in the cfp committee’s eyes as well as the larger portion of college football fan’s opinion (most of whom seem to disagree with you).  You want in? Prove yourself.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

It is a year to year selection.  Just because TCU beat Wisconsin in the 2011 Rose Bowl and UCF beat Baylor in the 2013 Fiesta Bowl and Auburn in the 2017 Peach Bowl, doesn’t mean it’ll happen every time.  Their Body of work DURING THE REGULAR SEASON needs to be better to get the cfp nod

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, KirtFalcon said:

Again, more pure speculation, on every point you tried to make ...

When the playoff chairman says they’re not getting in due to lack of schedule toughness, that’s not speculation.  I guess you’d argue with a possum in front of whataburger in downtown garrison

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

34 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

When the playoff chairman says they’re not getting in due to lack of schedule toughness, that’s not speculation.  I guess you’d argue with a possum in front of whataburger in downtown garrison

The "playoff chairman" ... lol ... is making arbitrarily decisions with his committee cronies ... wonder if they take bribes? ...

16 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

The "playoff chairman" ... lol ... is making arbitrarily decisions with his committee cronies ... wonder if they take bribes? ...

Sure they could.  But couldn’t ucf schedule better competition to prove their worth or just whine and cry about it?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Sure they could.  But couldn’t ucf schedule better competition to prove their worth or just whine and cry about it?

They did prove their worth ... on the field ... at least they didn't schedule the Citadel like Alabama ... lol ...

• Stinks 1

both points are good points - I would like to see more teams included in a playoff period. I would not want to see the Go5 selection automatically "placed" with a #8 seeding because that would be retarded and not correct in many years. I would want the seeding done as the seeding should be done by final rank or whatever, once it's decided whoever is in. the issue we have with the "well those good Go5's should play those good P5's during those years" is first schedules are made years and years in advance...and until really this past year, most of the big boys were avoiding the real good Go5's we mentioned (unless they were some natural rival, or a past conference rival) like the plague for obvious reasons --> nothing good could come of it for the P5. they lose and they get dogged on and pointed at by the Go5...and they win and it's expected.  

Automatic conference champions getting in the playoff does nothing for increasing the likelihood of teams scheduling quality opponents during the season. If you are guaranteed a shot if you just win your conference, then nobody would risk playing tougher games that beat you up and wear you down. Scheduling would be even worse than it is now. 

29 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

both points are good points - I would like to see more teams included in a playoff period. I would not want to see the Go5 selection automatically "placed" with a #8 seeding because that would be retarded and not correct in many years. I would want the seeding done as the seeding should be done by final rank or whatever, once it's decided whoever is in. the issue we have with the "well those good Go5's should play those good P5's during those years" is first schedules are made years and years in advance...and until really this past year, most of the big boys were avoiding the real good Go5's we mentioned (unless they were some natural rival, or a past conference rival) like the plague for obvious reasons --> nothing good could come of it for the P5. they lose and they get dogged on and pointed at by the Go5...and they win and it's expected.  

Ive been talking about how it is setup as of now.   Just clarifying

7 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Automatic conference champions getting in the playoff does nothing for increasing the likelihood of teams scheduling quality opponents during the season. If you are guaranteed a shot if you just win your conference, then nobody would risk playing tougher games that beat you up and wear you down. Scheduling would be even worse than it is now. 

Well you and I just keep agreeing on this matter.  I wouldn’t mind expanding to 8, but also feel this would be the case.  Ooc scheduling would go back to fcs games and nothing more