PantherNation2015

Winner?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Winner?

• Dawgs
    • Buckeyes

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, blackflag79 said:

The first sentence I doubt.  Scott will call off the Dawgs if it gets that out of hand.

The second sentence I can agree with, especially considering we haven't shown the ability to play UP to the competition for 4 full quarters.  We showed flashes of it in the 2nd half against Paris, but it was too little too late.  We absolutely HAVE to get stops defensively, and execute our best offensively to stay in these type of games.  If we can do that, I'm pretty sure we can make it a good game, and the longer we stay in it who knows what will happen?

If he puts the 2s in and they are hungry and determined and 1 or 2 of them happen to break open a long run,how is Surratt gonna stop them? A couple of long passes and 3 long runs by the 2s could amount to a couple of hundred extra yards on top of what our starters would get and you're into that 500 yard range and maybe more. 

Edited by NightStar11
Typo
  • Stinks 1

There's most probably only a handful of teams(if that many) in 4A that could give this season's Carthage team some serious trouble.......their players look very seasoned and experienced at all positions.   And I agree.......I think confidence at the high school level has much to say about how a team performs and how its players play to their potential and skill sets.......along with quality coaching. Confidence grows as discipline increases......both individually and as a group.

1 hour ago, Greezychef said:

Kai tossing it to the running back out of the backfield is extremely hard to defend considering the receivers he has to go over the top with if you try to play the flat.  Marshal played off and Kai and Courtney tore them up underneath.   Courtney probably getting about 5 receptions a game and Kai just keeps getting better with every snap.   Deadly combination right there.  

Agree. Courtney looks good. Kid is a stud. Both of them only juniors too.

1 hour ago, regaleagle said:

There's most probably only a handful of teams(if that many) in 4A that could give this season's Carthage team some serious trouble.......their players look very seasoned and experienced at all positions.

The players are seasoned. I think 8 returning starters and 9 seniors on D. 2 or 3 of them 3 year starters that started on that awesome 17’ D. Offense has a new QB, 1 new starting receiver, TE, and a couple OL. So really this is a very experienced team. This senior class has always been really good. Junior class the same. When Carthage gets these loaded classes back to back they are tough. 

Another thing that shows Carthage has kinda taken the next step as a program is regular season success. Carthage always lost some games early. That’s changed. But the schedule is basically the same as it always has been. Carthage is getting to where they just don’t lose those early games anymore. Lost back to back district games in 2015, and haven’t lost since. 27 regular seasons game in a row. 

21 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

I think you gotta blitz and put pressure on kai and try and make him move, because if he just sit back it is a wrap 

Yep. Blitz and try to mess up the timing. Problem is that they have a wall on the OL and Courtney can block. Probably means Kelvontay is one on one. That’s trouble. Kai has missed a couple deep balls, but they are getting better every game. He’s going to be a good one. Reminds me of Capps his 1st year. I think has a little bit more upside due to his size. But Capps was damn good, so just have to wait and see. I think Dixon, Williams, and McNew are pretty close to Bowens, D Ingram, and Colbert. Keaontay was different, but Courtney has showed huge improvement and I don’t remember him dropping a pass yet. So let’s see. Will be a lot of fun watching this offense progress.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Greezychef said:

Ok.  Go ahead.   Dont let his size fool you.  Kid is athletic.   District newcomer of the year in basketball last year as a sophomore.   6'4 forward.  You know how hard it is to get recognition like that for basketball in Carthage?  Lol.  Trust me,  hes mobile,  they just haven't had to show it yet.  

Greezy you been following Kai closely. Thanks for the input. Sounds like you might be an insider!

2 minutes ago, Greezychef said:

I was wrong he was newcomer of the year as a freshman not sophomore just checked.   His father graduated from Tenaha and his grandfather was one of my teachers there.  Very good family.   Super intelligent people.  Very easy kid to root for, humble and even tempered.   

Good in front of the camera too. I saw an interview on FSSW. Cool kid. I agree easy to root for.

4 minutes ago, Greezychef said:

I was wrong he was newcomer of the year as a freshman not sophomore just checked.   His father graduated from Tenaha and his grandfather was one of my teachers there.  Very good family.   Super intelligent people.  Very easy kid to root for, humble and even tempered.   

Must have learned how to play basketball from his grandfather in Tenaha 😂!

11 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Sounds like we have a star in the making!

Colleges should come calling later in the season. I would think offers will start rolling in during the playoffs this year. He is legit 6’4. So let’s see. Lots of upside. Like I said it’s going to be fun watching the progression.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Greezychef said:

He just has to take everything in stride and its gonna work out.   That applies to any physically gifted athlete.   Carthage has excellent coaching,  facilities and tradition.   Kai is surrounded by athletes too.  All he has to do is stay inside of himself mentally and emotionally.   Dont believe the hype.   

Greezy I think he has a little brother that’s going to be a player. Is that correct?

16 minutes ago, Greezychef said:

You never watched him on jv if you don't think hes mobile.   I'll just leave it at that.  

Just like Davis in 2016 - Athletic and can run, but Surratt wants to protect him unless a really important game.  At this point, with the possible number 2 having been playing WR this year, would be a big drop off to the next QB - at least for a few weeks. 

41 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Just like Davis in 2016 - Athletic and can run, but Surratt wants to protect him unless a really important game.  At this point, with the possible number 2 having been playing WR this year, would be a big drop off to the next QB - at least for a few weeks. 

QB2 is Wilson and has gotten snaps every game this season.  He is plenty capable of running the offense.  He is just limited on some of the deeper routes.

• Stinks 1

Our biggest problem is coaching. I believe the kids will give everything they got. But when you are predictable, it makes you transparent. At this point you really dont have to watch game film to know what Gilmer is going to do. We have become too predictable. Like someone previously stated. When #11 comes into the game at qb, you know whats coming. We do not do a good job anymore in making teams respect us in all aspects. That has been our biggest downfall. IN MY OPINION.