Who is God?

RETIREDFAN1

Who is God?

By: Jim Crews

We often run into many strange ideas in the world concerning God. We have people stating that there is only one being called God. The Jehovah’s Witnesses claim that His name is Jehovah. There are Pentecostal sects who claim he is Jesus. I haven’t heard about any that claim He is only the Holy Spirit, though I’m sure they exist somewhere.

Then there are those who claim the Father and Son, but say the Spirit is just the spirit of one of those two.

What does scripture teach us about God? Scripture teaches us that God is three beings. Notice the use of plural pronouns in reference to God in the recording of the Creation.
Genesis 1:26 

This is not a use of the royal we. That’s where a king or queen refers to themselves as “we”. Kings in the Bible never used the royal “we”. Instead, they spoke of themselves with singular pronouns.
II Kings 19:21-31

The word for God in the Hebrew is a plural noun. It is also a noun in singular form that refers to multiple things. It is similar to words like herd or flock. By itself, we cannot determine how many beings make up God. However, we have context that shows us how many beings make up the Godhead. 

Matthew 3:16-17

Notice this is a reference to three separate beings in separate locations. Baptism occurs in the name of three.

Matthew 28:19

Three are also named in the writings of Paul. 

II Corinthians 13:14.

There is God, the Father. Jesus taught us to pray to the Father. Matthew 6:9

The Father resides in heaven while Jesus was here on earth. Matthew 7:11

The Father is God.

John 6:27

There is only one Father and the Lord Jesus is separate from Him.

I Corinthians 8:5-6

God is all our Father because we are His creation.

Isaiah 64:8

There is also God, the Son.
John 1:1-3, 14

The Word was both with God and was God. If ever there is a verse that proves God is made of multiple beings, it is this one. The Word became flesh and dwelt among man – Jesus the Messiah.

Calling himself the Son of God was making himself equal to God.

John 5:18

Another of Jesus’ names is Immanuel, which means “God with us”.

Matthew 1:23

Jesus is God, over all, and blessed.

Romans 9:5

We also find God, the Spirit. From the very beginning we see reference to the Spirit of God.

Genesis 1:2

He too dwells in heaven since Jesus sent Him from there.

John 16:7-8

This proves without a doubt that Jesus is not the Holy Spirit. The Spirit cannot be the Father, either.
John 14:16-17 

We are the temple of God with the Holy Spirit dwelling in us.

I Corinthians 6:19

Each of the Godhead are one. 

Ephesians 4:4-6

God is One. The disciples are to be one as God and the Son are one.

John 17:20-21

Being one does not mean there is only one disciple. Being one does not mean we lose our individual characteristics. Jesus and his Father are one.

John 10:30

To see Jesus is to see the Father.

John 14:8-11

However,  Jesus is not the same as his Father, because he speaks of going to the Father.

John 14:12-13

The concept should not be difficult for us. We speak of men and women becoming one in marriage.

Matthew 19:4-6

There is only one God. 

I Corinthians 8:4

Even though later Paul speaks of both the Father and the Son.

I Corinthians 8:6

There is not a separate God for Jew and Gentile.

Romans 3:29-30

There is not a Jewish God, a Muslim God, and a Christian God. There is only one God.  God is only one.

Galatians 3:20

So what are the Roles within the Godhead that are revealed to us?

What is the role of the Father? He has supreme authority.
John 14:28

Jesus reigns until he gives the kingdom to his Father.

I Corinthians 15:27-28

As the ultimate authority, the Father knows more than the Son. Mark 13:32

The father is often described as the owner because everything belongs to Him. This is also why the Father is just called God most of the time,  because He is ultimately the head.

What is the role of the Son? The very term “Son” shows the submission of the Jesus to the Father. The world was made for and by Jesus.

Hebrews 1:2,10

It is through Jesus the world holds together. 

Colossians 1:16-17

Jesus would be known in simple terms as the architect. Jesus was sent by God into this world.

John 6:38

Even though he is equal to God, he submitted to the Father’s will.

Philippians 2:5-11

He did this to set us free from Satan’s power.

Hebrews 2:14-18

He was the author or captain of our salvation.

Hebrews 2:10

Therefore he became the head of his people, the church. Ephesians 5:23

What is the role of the Spirit?  The Spirit is the moving force of God. We see him shaping the world according to God’s will. Genesis 1:2

Psalm 104:30

In our simplified illustration, the Spirit is the builder. He was sent by Jesus after Jesus left this world.

John 16:7

His purpose is revealed in scripture. 

John 16:8-14

He would convict the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment. He would guide the apostles into all truth. Like the Son, he would only speak what He is directed to say. He will glorify Jesus. He is the guarantee of our salvation.

Ephesians 1:13-14

The written word, our Bible, comes by the Spirit. It is the Bible that contains the promise of our salvation. It was the work of the Spirit to confirm that promise. He is the witness then to our salvation.

Romans 8:16-17

Blasphemy, or willful rejection of the Spirit is more dangerous than rejecting the Son.

Matthew 12:32

The difficulty faced by us most often in understanding the Godhead, is that the word God, can refer to the three – the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit – working together as one, or it can refer to the Father alone.

It is the context that defines the term and in many cases it doesn’t matter if we are talking of the Father only or the Godhead. People have a tough time with the concept, but only because they want to simplify the concept of God. But a God whom we could simply describe could not be the God who created more than we can understand.

Sometimes it is easier to accept the facts as presented.

My question is how does an educated person have such "blind faith" in something that they cannot see, and that is "man-made". Because all of those scriptures were put together by the Catholic Church in order to control the populace. Why did they leave out scriptures? Why did they only choose these that gave them power? 

Faith is not blind....God is self evident...

Romans 1:19-20 English Standard Version (ESV)

19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

The scriptures existed LONG before the apostate catholic church came into existence....

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

Faith is not blind....God is self evident...

Romans 1:19-20 English Standard Version (ESV)

19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

The scriptures existed LONG before the apostate catholic church came into existence....

The scriptures were also often spoken by God Himself to his Patriarchs and Prophets of old, as well of as spoken to them by His still soft voice 1 Kings 19:11-13.  One does not even have to be receptive in hearing it, and it can happen many times in our lives even in an act of sin.  Some fail to heed it, some call it a gut feeling and some a premonition. Can it be explained to some that don't know God ?  That is how I see it.  I have seen his marvelous works and His wonders in my life as spoken in 1 Chronicles 16:12 in my life.  As for God they are one in purpose, but not the same being.  It would be insane to think that Christ would pray to His Father in Gethsemane to pass the bitter cup, and sweat blood from every pore as He took on the sins of the world.  It would be insane to think that they  are one being at His baptism, which was to fulfill all righteousness as shown in Matthew, John, and Luke chapter 3 and Mark chapter 1.  Many still don't teach the doctrine as spoken of in the scriptures, but that is what sets the doctrine of His church.  

In essence I am also testifying to Danny Zuco that God is real, baptism is necessary, for all of God's children to return to Him.  If he hasn't seen God with his educated mind as even Sir Isaac Newton did, I can't explain.  I know many that accept "science as God" today fail to see it, but they simply don't desire to learn, since they think only man can explain the wonders of the world which are too many to be explained by mere mortal men.  

Romans 1:21-23 English Standard Version (ESV)

21 For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools, 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.