MavGrad's Week 4 Preview (2019)

Coach Rab

This week has a nice slate after the awful one last week.  People on ESPN were trying to argue "There were 4 upsets!"  Sorry talking TV sheep, #20, 21, and #25 getting beat doesn't make for a fantastic football upset...  Anyways, instead of having to focus on Charlotte @ Clemson, we get to talk about some real games this week.

Friday, September 20

#10 Utah at USC  8:00 PM  FS1

I only highlight this game because of the USC brand.  I think USC may have enough talent to win this one, but they are having to play a true freshman at QB... and I just don't trust that.  Utes by 10.

Saturday, September 21

#4 LSU at Vanderbilt  11:00 AM  SECN

LSU finally gets to play a game that matters.  I am looking forward to seeing this offense vs an SEC defense (audience laugh now).  Seriously, this will be a better test than last week, but they will also get a more focused LSU.  LSU wins by 21.

#11 Michigan at #13 Wisconsin  11:00 AM  FOX

My heart says Wisconsin, but my head says Michigan.  Why?  While Michigan has struggled, they still have a lot of firepower that just hasn't been set off yet.  What better to set it off than a real challenge against a real team?   Michigan by 3 (a late FG).

#8 Auburn at #17 Texas A&M  2:30 PM  CBS

Auburn is #8 due to their schedule.  Texas A&M is the better team.  I expect A&M to win IF they can find a way to run the ball.  I don't care how they do it, but they won't just throw all over Auburn this year without keeping some of those guys in the box.  Jimbo will find a way... he always does.  Aggies by 4.

SMU at #25 TCU  2:30 PM  FS1

TCU will win this one.  I am not sure how good they are this year, but Patterson won't lose this in-state, metroplex game.  Frogs by 10.

West Virginia at Kansas  3:30 PM  ESPN+

Why would I feature this game?  For Les Miles!  Why else?!?  The guy is fantastic TV and a hell of a football coach.  Kansas will win this one.  WVU is freaking awful and Les Miles is a better coach.  Kansas by 1.

Baylor at Rice  6:00 PM CBSSN

@Minerva and his Rhule ball will win!  Bears by 17.

Oklahoma St at #12 Texas  6:30 PM  ABC

Everyone is trying to make this game to be more than I think it is.  Texas will get scored on, but I think Texas easily wears Ok St out.  Too many weapons.  If they can (and I think they will) execute the exact same game plan vs Ok St that they did vs LSU, they will win by a large margin.  Horns by 14.

#7 Notre Dame at #3 Georgia  7:00 PM CBS

This will be exactly like the Cotton Bowl Semi-Final game last year.  Except the opponent putting it on Notre Dame will be Georgia.  This will be ugly ugly ugly.  Dawgs by 18.

• Thanks 1

A&M ran for over 200 on auburn last year. I don’t expect the same this year, but I do think they establish enough to win. 

I think A&M wins a close defensive game, but don’t be shocked if this one gets away from Auburn. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if this ended up 27-13 A&M

14 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

#10 Utah at USC  8:00 PM  FS1
#4 LSU at Vanderbilt  11:00 AM  SECN
#11 Michigan at #13 Wisconsin  11:00 AM  FOX
#8 Auburn at #17 Texas A&M  2:30 PM  CBS
SMU at #25 TCU  2:30 PM  FS1
West Virginia at Kansas  3:30 PM  ESPN+
Baylor at Rice  6:00 PM CBSSN
Oklahoma St at #12 Texas  6:30 PM  ABC

#7 Notre Dame at #3 Georgia  7:00 PM CBS

Utes edge the Trojans. 
Bayou Bengals roll over Vandy.
Wisconsin exposes Michigan. 
A&M "upsets" Auburn (I agree with Mav, A&M is the better team)
TCU edges SMU late. 
Kansas upsets the couchburners. 
Baylor routs Rice. 
Texas shuts out Okie State...  until the subs come in.
Georgia run-rules the Irish. 

Just now, Red90fly said:

Texas hasn't beaten Oklahoma State at home since 2008 or 2009?  They are only Big 12 team Herman hasn't beat yet.

Okie State is down this year. Took everything they had to beat Tulsa. 

Texas is gonna blow 'em out. 

24 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

I had the same feeling last year ( them being down, not blowing them out ) and look how that turned out.

I didn't. I knew the second they brought out their throwbacks uniforms, the game being in Stillwater on halloween night, we were doomed. 

I feel much more confident this year.

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

I think Kansas beats West Virginia. I still can't believe the Jayhawks hung 48 on Boston College

Les Miles is a real damned good Football coach.  I don't blame LSU for firing him, but I do blame all of those other programs that passed on him after he was fired.  They all look foolish.

• Like 2

I haven’t seen ATM play and I watched Auburn vs Oregon. 

My twitter feed tells me that ATM is struggling at oline (maybe that’s false) and Auburn’s best unit may be their dline. ATM at home vs a true freshman QB definitely favors the home team. Is it enough to counter the lack of run game? I picked Auburn in the pickem so I’ll say Tigers win 24-17.

Texas is going to be without 2 safeties in Foster and Overshown. The depth there is so deep you won’t notice. I think Texas will try to stop the run and force Sanders to have a Burrow type passing game if the Pokes want to win. 

Texas just needs a few key stops/turnovers and I believe they’ll win something like 48-28. The Cowboys are bad on defense and particularly the run game. Each of their first 3 opponents have eclipsed 150yds rushing. Texas gets a bye after this one. 

If this week is like last week then these scores may be reversed. 

I haven't watched enough of A&M this year to have a solid take on them, so this take could be way off. I'm just going off of what I've read on here. I definitely think A&M is the better team. Auburn looked sluggish this past weekend against an inferior opponent. For me, it's about which Mond shows up. That's the only reason I have Auburn in my pickems. If he plays well (and when he's on, he's good), I think A&M takes this one. But when he's not on, it's not very pretty. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red90fly said:

I had the same feeling last year ( them being down, not blowing them out ) and look how that turned out.

Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but Okie State really is down this year. I know Gumby is an off-brand QB whisperer, but this year's guy doesn't have the goods. 

18 minutes ago, AKA said:

Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but Okie State really is down this year. I know Gumby is an off-brand QB whisperer, but this year's guy doesn't have the goods. 

If Texas can’t get pressure without blitzing the house, he’ll look like an all conference selection.  Being that Texas can’t get pressure with a 3man front and has to blitz, I’ll say he has a good game.  Texas wins by 7

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

If Texas can’t get pressure without blitzing the house, he’ll look like an all conference selection.  Being that Texas can’t get pressure with a 3man front and has to blitz, I’ll say he has a good game.  Texas wins by 7

Tulsa managed to get pressure without bringing the house. Reckon y'all's DL is better than Tulsa's. 

On 9/18/2019 at 10:54 AM, JustAFan11 said:

I haven’t seen ATM play and I watched Auburn vs Oregon. 

My twitter feed tells me that ATM is struggling at oline (maybe that’s false) and Auburn’s best unit may be their dline. ATM at home vs a true freshman QB definitely favors the home team. Is it enough to counter the lack of run game? I picked Auburn in the pickem so I’ll say Tigers win 24-17.

Texas is going to be without 2 safeties in Foster and Overshown. The depth there is so deep you won’t notice. I think Texas will try to stop the run and force Sanders to have a Burrow type passing game if the Pokes want to win. 

Texas just needs a few key stops/turnovers and I believe they’ll win something like 48-28. The Cowboys are bad on defense and particularly the run game. Each of their first 3 opponents have eclipsed 150yds rushing. Texas gets a bye after this one. 

If this week is like last week then these scores may be reversed. 

I think I’m reversing course on my ATM/Auburn pick. I thought Auburn would win this game like they did vs Oregon. As the week goes on I just think the opposite will happen and it’ll be Mond making the plays to win late. This could be the best game of the day. 

I don't know what happened to Oregon against Auburn, but I still believe Auburn is overrated. A&M wins by 2 scores.

I said a few weeks ago that I thought WV and Kansas would decide last place in the B12. I'll take WV...for last place. Kansas wins. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

I don't know what happened to Oregon against Auburn, but I still believe Auburn is overrated. A&M wins by 2 scores.

I said a few weeks ago that I thought WV and Kansas would decide last place in the B12. I'll take WV...for last place. Kansas wins. 

Kansas may be better than Tech if they play like they did vs Arizona :rofl: