Matt Stepp confirmed DEC Meeting (District 7-3A D1) on Mount Vernon...

Smoaky

5 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

If they are declared ineligible, pretty sure they become eligible no matter what the following year.  Who knows what would happen to the school/staff

Similar to what happened to Waskom.  They had some move ins, they were ruled ineligible , they had to forfeit some games and then the next year they went on their state championship run.

6 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Here’s another thought.  Briles may not have recruited these kids.  His name and legacy speak volumes without him saying a word.  Who’s to say these kids didn’t just move in to play for this guy and get the best out of their athletic career?  

Just a thought.

yep, because if my kid was very good and I lived anywhere within say 40 to 50 miles, I'd have been looking to transfer "little Billy" in to get some great experience/opportunity...same as parents would have been dumb not to do it in the day with Traylor in Gilmer, or now with Surratt at Carthage or Randy Allen at Highland Park or Tom Westerberg at Allen...if they had that ability or inclination.

you know that the real issue comes from schools and people thinking that Briles would get there and with Mt. Vernon being terrible previously, it would take a while to build anything that was of any worth. the season started and wham, bam...Mt. Vernon has been very good! they've been running the high powered Briles offense we were accustomed to seeing Baylor running and blowing opponents doors off. the district schools are like, "woe, woe it's gotta be new kids that came in, cheating..."

and you know that there are the "Briles haters" out there that have been secretly just dying that Mt. Vernon is having any success...

congrats to Coach Briles and Mt. Vernon by the way...keep piling up those stacks of doors they'll burn real good this winter! 😯

• Like 2

Guys you have to realize how easy it is for a kid to be ruled ineligible... the coach from the school he came from has 2 boxes to check.  He checks the right one and bam the kid has to sit out a year.  Who would know more than his previous coach on why he left other than the kid himself and his parents?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

you know that the real issue comes from schools and people thinking that Briles would get there and with Mt. Vernon being terrible previously, it would take a while to build anything that was of any worth. the season started and wham, bam...Mt. Vernon has been very good! they've been running the high powered Briles offense we were accustomed to seeing Baylor running and blowing opponents doors off. the district schools are like, "woe, woe it's gotta be new kids that came in, cheating..."

and you know that there are the "Briles haters" out there that have been secretly just dying that Mt. Vernon is having any success...

congrats to Coach Briles and Mt. Vernon by the way...keep piling up those stacks of doors they'll burn real good this winter! 😯

So MV winning is all because of Briles not because they are playing the bottom feeders?  Let’s not get too excited. It will be at least 2-3 more weeks to know how good they actually are.  

10 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Guys you have to realize how easy it is for a kid to be ruled ineligible... the coach from the school he came from has 2 boxes to check.  He checks the right one and bam the kid has to sit out a year.  Who would know more than his previous coach on why he left other than the kid himself and his parents?

From my understanding there was a meeting before the season started to discuss all of this. Why drag it all out again. It really #### for the kids, parents, and admin to go through the stress of all this ONCE AGAIN. The school has handled the added spotlight of Briles quite well and seems to be doing well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WestRusk2009 said:

Kinda thinking the same, no doubt Briles has helped though.

Him, plus the athletes that were already in MV. It’s not like MV are the bottom feeders in the district. They’ve actually been very consistent over the past couple of years. But no doubt they will be tested once they start playing teams east of them lol

53 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I have to say part of this is just factually inaccurate and quite frankly disrespectful to the previous coach of MV who made this team very competitive in his time there. They weren't terrible at all. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, chevyman said:

I have to say part of this is just factually inaccurate and quite frankly disrespectful to the previous coach of MV who made this team very competitive in his time there. They weren't terrible at all. 

I agree that they haven't been terrible, but they haven't been good. Over the last 10 years they have had a winning record 3 times. The last 2 years have been good. They have made it to the 2nd round. I'm interested in how they stack up with Atlanta and Jefferson in District 

1 hour ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

The high powered offense we were accustomed to seeing at Baylor? Baylor ran the spread sir! Mount vernon is running the slot t hurry up offense that Briles ran in his high school coaching days!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Some idiot on here said Mount Vernon won one game in 2018. According to MaxPrep they won 9 and went to the state semifinals. I wasn't aware that Briles was running the slot-t. That's what Finney ran in rebuilding Mount Vernon. Briles appears to be doing a great job this season, but it was Finney who rebuilt the program, not Briles.

18 minutes ago, 68Hornet said:

Some idiot on here said Mount Vernon won one game in 2018. According to MaxPrep they won 9 and went to the state semifinals. I wasn't aware that Briles was running the slot-t. That's what Finney ran in rebuilding Mount Vernon. Briles appears to be doing a great job this season, but it was Finney who rebuilt the program, not Briles.

So they represented Region 1 and lost to Malakoff? I believe they went 3 deep.