Winnsboro @ Gladewater 9/27

chevyman

Game Stats

First Downs- Bears 10 Winnsboro 16

Rushing- Bears 30/155 Winnsboro 49/226

Passing- Bears 4 of 11 for 37 yrds (int) Winnsboro 0 of 3 (2 int)

Total Yards- Bears 192 Winnsboro 226

Fumbles-Bears 2/0 Winnsboro 2/0

Punts- Bears 3/24.6 avg Winnsboro 1/44 avg

Penalties- Bears 7/40 Winnsboro 3/15

Big plays for Bears were the 21 yard interception return by Landon Ellis and Robby Hodges 47 yard punt return to set up the Bears winning score at the Winnsboro 28. Biggest play was the Bear defense stopping the Red Raiders on 4th and 3 at the Bear 27 with 1:40 left.

1 minute ago, Golfingnut said:

Game Stats

First Downs- Bears 10 Winnsboro 16

Rushing- Bears 30/155 Winnsboro 49/226

Passing- Bears 4 of 11 for 37 yrds (int) Winnsboro 0 of 3 (2 int)

Total Yards- Bears 192 Winnsboro 226

Fumbles-Bears 2/0 Winnsboro 2/0

Punts- Bears 3/24.6 avg Winnsboro 1/44 avg

Penalties- Bears 7/40 Winnsboro 3/15

Big plays for Bears were the 21 yard interception return by Landon Ellis and Robby Hodges 47 yard punt return to set up the Bears winning score at the Winnsboro 28. Biggest play was the Bear defense stopping the Red Raiders on 4th and 3 at the Bear 27 with 1:40 left.

If you have it I would love to know time of possession. 

2 minutes ago, blesseddaily said:

I sure thought they were going to grind that last drive out and win. The punt coverage break down by Winny killed them on the go ahead drive by GW.  Just can’t make that kind of mistake against a good team!!

It was a great punt, just a really good return.

Personally, I probably would have lined up in punt formation to punt it. I just can't see any reason to line it like you are going for it, especially in that situation. Not sure if that would have helped the coverage or not. Seems like the coverage got held up at the line because of the formation. That being said it was a fantastic punt. Robby got it on the bounce and made a great return.

5 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

Personally, I probably would have lined up in punt formation to punt it. I just can't see any reason to line it like you are going for it, especially in that situation. Not sure if that would have helped the coverage or not. Seems like the coverage got held up at the line because of the formation. That being said it was a fantastic punt. Robby got it on the bounce and made a great return.

Yes I agree, it is weird. I don’t think Finney implements punt formations. He did the same thing at Mt Vernon that was their punt play where the QB just pitches it to the tailback and he punts it. 

3 minutes ago, GWBears01 said:

Felt like they had the ball the entire game. 

Of course 3 of the Bear plays and 1 possession were the kneel down to end game. Also one Bear possession only had one play. The 28 yrd TD run by Allen after Robby's punt return.

15 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

The formation worked perfectly. GW didn’t have a man as deep as they would have if Winny had lined up in a punt formation. The coverage team looked like they relaxed and lost their lane coverages when they saw the ball go over the returners head. Perfect example of “thinking” is not good. They THOUGHT the returner wasn’t going to pick up the ball and return it. They thought wrong and paid for it. 

7 minutes ago, Blazin97 said:

Yes I agree, it is weird. I don’t think Finney implements punt formations. He did the same thing at Mt Vernon that was their punt play where the QB just pitches it to the tailback and he punts it. 

The only other decision I questioned was before the 4th down play Finney ran the time down and then called his last timeout. I get that he didn't want to give the Bears as little time as possible left on the clock if Winnsboro scored, but even if they had made the 1st down they would almost certainly have had to pass the ball (which had not been successful) because they had no time outs left. Of course I'm not a coach 😂 and Finney is a good one, so who am I to question. I'm just not sure I would want to put my team in a position to have to do something they don't do often and hadn't been successful doing in this game.

3 minutes ago, blesseddaily said:

The formation worked perfectly. GW didn’t have a man as deep as they would have if Winny had lined up in a punt formation. The coverage team looked like they relaxed and lost their lane coverages when they saw the ball go over the returners head. Perfect example of “thinking” is not good. They THOUGHT the returner wasn’t going to pick up the ball and return it. They thought wrong and paid for it. 

Probably any other returner wouldn't have but he's the son of a coach and one of our most experienced leaders on the team. 

1 hour ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Yeah I have no idea where to place teams in this district.

Winny can grind man, big and tough kids. They just 3 or 4 yards a play, don’t hardly get penalties. Then you look up and just hope you get ball back before half or end of game. As long as they keep improving, they will most definitely be a play off team. And I don’t mean a 4 th place team. Bears need get some emotion, we never matched the intensity until they figured out, o hell we might lose. This team just flat all the time. Way to many Soph’s. Need to get in rhythm. QB needs to figure out he good, and play with some confidence, fastest kid on field tonight. DJ is a DUDE and just hasn’t figured that out yet...