Week Five: Rockwall at Longview

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (4-0) vs Rockwall Yellowjackets (3-1)  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Rockwall in a close one
    • Rockwall in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/28/2019 at 12:30 AM

5 hours ago, ANTI said:

I really want to go this route or something similar....something like 49-35.

I dunno....I just think Meredith is really about to take off and he's up against a Rockwall defense that needs alot of work. He ran for 191 vs that WM defensive front. This was also one of my main points coming into this year about not having Kamden....the production that Meredith was gonna put up at RB was gonna make up for a good chunk of what Perry provided as a WR.

I also see Haynes and the WRs/TEs having a good game.

I think we make enough stops on defense for two score game. Jaxon Smith will get his yards but I don't see much happening for anyone else on their offense in this game. 

You make a valid point regarding Meredith but, here's the difference between LAST year and THIS year unfortunately. As of RIGHT NOW, we are ONE DIMENSIONAL. If, they somehow shut our running game down buddy, we are in deep you know what! If, I was John King ALL of my wideouts, tight ends included would be MANDATORY around each other as if they lived together. 

I know that's nearly impossible with scheduling and all but, they need to become so acclimated with each other until they start puking. It makes NO sense to have a 5-Star QB and we have the connection that rivals Sprint, T-Mobile and MetroPCS cellular networks. And, those networks are straight GARBAGE, especially here in East Texas.

5 hours ago, ANTI said:

I really want to go this route or something similar....something like 49-35.

I dunno....I just think Meredith is really about to take off and he's up against a Rockwall defense that needs alot of work. He ran for 191 vs that WM defensive front. This was also one of my main points coming into this year about not having Kamden....the production that Meredith was gonna put up at RB was gonna make up for a good chunk of what Perry provided as a WR.

I also see Haynes and the WRs/TEs having a good game.

I think we make enough stops on defense for two score game. Jaxon Smith will get his yards but I don't see much happening for anyone else on their offense in this game. 

I just don't know about this group to make a call on the score. This game could go either way with our decrepit passing game. I mean, I just don't feel good about this game and it's already the midway point of the regular season. 

1 hour ago, Quick said:

I mean, I just don't feel good about this game and it's already the midway point of the regular season. 

Well you did pick West Monroe to win, and you did pick Rockwall to win. So it's safe to say we know what you think of this year's group.

• LOL! 5

Rockwall will come out fast and furious just like WB did. Key for Lobos will be running the ball and hitting the shots of the play-action. Like Lobo07 says...Lobos are gonna get burned deep a few times but we should gash them right back on offense. Gonna be helluva game. Their fans are raucous and rowdy.

18 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Post game with John King following Longview's 17-7 victory over West Monroe...

https://lobohistory.com/gamelogs/audio/westmonroe09202019postgame.mp3

Audio highlights from Longview's 17-7 victory over West Monroe...

https://lobohistory.com/gamelogs/audio/westmonroe09202019.mp3

10 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Audio highlights from Longview's 17-7 victory over West Monroe...

https://lobohistory.com/gamelogs/audio/westmonroe09202019.mp3

I won't even lie, this was one of the worst games I've ever had to listen to when it came to editing the highlights. @Pack007 and @LufkinPack, y'all were not wrong about them this week. Good Lord.

• Thanks 2
  • LOL! 1

I am starting to see some things click in little ways on our offense in the passing game...still have a ways to go but improving....got to keep making positive strides or Rockwall could embarrass us....I don’t see our defense holding up for 4 solid quarters if our offenses doesn’t sustain drives and score some points...

19 hours ago, Quick said:

As of RIGHT NOW, we are ONE DIMENSIONAL. 

So, is this the reason we'll supposedly lose this game?

Have you taken a look at Rockwall's defense?

It's laughable that you have more faith in their D than you do our O.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ANTI said:

So, is this the reason we'll supposedly lose this game?

Have you taken a look at Rockwall's defense?

It's laughable that you have more faith in their D than you do our O.

I honestly think we are going to have to have a productive passing game to win this one...I don't see us winning with just a running game.  There won't be a repeat with all of the non calls we got on our deep balls this past Friday...Unless you saw it differently, I thought those balls were on the money and should have been flagged....If he connects on those on Friday, Longview can control this game.

You guys always play well at Lobo, I don't see the worry.  We have already found out Highland Park can be beat.  Just can not see Rockwall rolling into Longview  and winning this game.  They have given up a ton of points to everyone they have played, except Rowlett and I would not count them as a  big threat to anyone.   The difference is your defense, your not totally dependent on your O to carry all the load, whereas Rockwall has to have as many points as possible.   You can control how many times they touch the ball with your defense.  The  Lobo D is the best that Rockwall has seen this year.  That will be the difference.

• Thanks 6

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

You guys always play well at Lobo, I don't see the worry.  We have already found out Highland Park can be beat.  Just can not see Rockwall rolling into Longview  and winning this game.  They have given up a ton of points to everyone they have played, except Rowlett and I would not count them as a  big threat to anyone.   The difference is your defense, your not totally dependent on your O to carry all the load, whereas Rockwall has to have as many points as possible.   You can control how many times they touch the ball with your defense.  The  Lobo D is the best that Rockwall has seen this year.  That will be the difference.

True but their offense will be the best the Lobo's will face. I think Rockwall will get out to early lead and the Lobo's will claw their way back in the 3rd quarter. The defense will make some key stops and 4th quarter and the Lobo's will find a way to win at home. I see it being alot like last years game. The defense got some key stops in the 4th quarter and got a turnover to put it away. Longview will need to protect the ball because Rockwall will make them pay if they turn it over. Longview 41 Rockwall 38.

• Thanks 1

Rockwall is going to score points. There's just no shutting down them and one of, if not the, best players in the state. But I do think this will be the best defense they will play all year. I also think this is the best offense we'll play all year. 

Our inability to create turnovers worries me quite a bit going forward, as I do think it'll make a huge difference in the outcome on Friday. 

As kingwolf said, and what King said even on the post game, there were quite a few PI calls not called on Friday that I feel would be called in Texas. We were very conservative, we held out guys that usually are a staple of our offense for whatever reason. King wanted to run on Friday, and you said that on Friday night before the game even started @ANTI.

It's a great test for us. I'm definitely more worried about this one than the previous 4. I think getting pressure is going to be huge on Friday night. The dude is still a sophomore, despite his hot start and he's barely traveled one bit....especially not into a hostile environment or to Longview. 

Win the turn over battle, we win the game I feel. 

And while we cut down big time on the penalties from the previous couple of games, we still were hammered with bad penalties at the exact wrong times that killed three or four drives. 

Excited to see how our boys play. They know the test that's in front of them, I feel. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kingwolf said:

I honestly think we are going to have to have a productive passing game to win this one...

No doubt.

That's why I said I think HK and the WRs/TEs are in for a good one. I know we're still waiting on Kearbey's big game but this is a game where one of Kyas/Hopkins/JD may go for 100+. Rockwall really struggles on deep routes, namely the post, because the team defense just isn't that fast. It sounds crazy...but would anyone give Meredith anymore than 15 carries in this game? I know one of our main goals going into this one will be to keep Rockwall's O on the sidelines and Meredith is a homerun threat anytime he touches the ball especially against this defense. You may see more carries for the chain movers like #27 Jaharious Jones and #33 Kevin Jones. #17 Keke Haynes definitely would have been perfect for this matchup...hopefully he's back by playoffs.

Then again, maybe they feed Meredith and just have full faith in the D. Look man I haven't seen a Lobo defense this good that I can remember. The team speed behind those 3 big DL Goram-Welch, Joe Jones and Beltran is crazy. Had the offense not fumbled and gave WM great field position for a freebe score, that would have been 3 shutouts in a row. 07 was saying that would have been the first time that's happened in over 3 decades. Those dudes are foreal and I told people they would be very good before the season.

I'm looking forward to see them step up to the challenge vs one of the best WRs in the country. I would matchup Buchanan on em and double em all night. That was the reason we were able to limit Jalynn Polk Week 1. 

Now, it's going to be more difficult to do it this time around....and not just because Smith is a better talent than Polk. Schematically, Rockwall uses Smith everywhere. They are very creative with how they use him while LP pretty much kept Polk on one side. Webb lines him up on the outside one play, slot another...he even takes direct snaps at times. Not to mention the tempo is so quick, it often prevents defenses from getting plays in and getting aligned correctly.

So it'll be fun watching the defense step up to the challenge. If they can slow down Rockwall...they truly can slow down anyone. 

I dunno. I can't get over the fact that they gave up 66 points to HP who only managed 19 against Frisco Lone Star. 

That said, they did beat Martin who put a hurting on Lake Travis and Hebron. 

If our offense is clicking, we win. If not, it puts a lot of pressure on the defense which has risen to the occasion this year, but they're playing a whole new animal on offense. I just hate the whole "let's race to 40" (or in their case, 50) style of play. 

15 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Who are you and what have you done with PackAttack? 

• LOL! 2

2 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

That said, they did beat Martin who put a hurting on Lake Travis and Hebron. 

Martin's defense was the main reason for those two victories, tbh.

Martin's offense is not good, but they still managed 38 points...over 400 yards of offense...also with five turnovers this past Friday.