MavGrad's Week 5 Preview (2019)

Coach Rab

37 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I dunno much about the OL Coach, but I know that in 2016 he had 4 4-star guys and 2 3-star guys commit to play for FSU. In 2015 he had a 4-star and a couple of 3-stars as well....

In 2015 & 2016 he had the 3rd-ranked recruiting class.... 

I don't really see that as the cupboard being left bare as a whole or on the OL. 

Exhibit A:  every recruiting class under Mack Brown in his final years at Texas.  

18 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I agree with that, I don't think disaster is the write word to define Jimbos last year. I do think it was trending downward and heading that direction due to the reasons you mentioned and possibly the FSU admin not helping the situation either. To me, FSU right now is where Texas was in 2013. Mack checked out his last couple of seasons, left good talent (not developed talent however), and in turn Texas made a horrible hire in Charlie Strong, who similar to Taggert, couldn't develop talent. And Texas was a disaster for the past 4-5 years. FSU will have a long few years too it looks like

FSU’s OL coach under Jimbo was awful... I forget his name, but the bashing of him has been going on for years... 

I generally agree with the comments about Jimbo and the departing status of FSU. Comparisons to Brown is fairly spot on. Certainly Jimbo got the starred recruits but as with most programs there will be those that do not pan out. Jimbo and his staff failed to respond to that and did not fill the gaps appropriately. Complacency or straight up laziness set in and Jimbo jumped ship in hopes of having a base group of players already set higher than what he had to work with at FSU. Jimbo fished around and A&M bit. Is he past his prime or does the change of scenery going to rebound him to be a good coach again? Maybe so but early returns are questionable, as even the faithful on this board have complained about his use of Mond and the need to get other talent that is already on the team out on the field. 

And as far as recruiting goes, this will turn into recruits not looking at schools who will tend to their academic desires, their future athletic careers, etc., but rather to them looking at who can pay them more. And I think that just ruins a big part of what makes college sports so great. 

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

Exhibit A:  every recruiting class under Mack Brown in his final years at Texas.  

Again, those were top 2-4 recruiting classes. They didn't get development, maybe, but I blame Coach Strong more than I blame Mack leaving him a bare cupboard. 

Now, I do blame Sumlin for leaving Jimbo non-top 10 classes. 

• Thumbs Down 2

Guys you are taking this to an extreme. There’s a big difference in calling what was left behind a “disaster” and saying there were some problems he left behind. 

Even with the holes jimbo left, they are still more talented than all but Clemson in the acc. How many times have you guys EVER besides Saban and LSU seen a coach leave a program and it be national title or even conference title ready in year one? Not very often. But yet first year coaches find ways all the time to at least make a bowl game... taggert is awful. Seriously maybe the worst coach in FBS. Yes jimbo left him a couple of messes to address, but that is not the same as leaving a disaster. Taggert is just a bad enough coach to make it look that way. 

And I am not worshiping jimbo by saying this. There is an argument here that you guys are missing. It’s just how truly awful taggert is and just how bad he is making the talent there look. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

For what it’s worth, I think strong is similar to taggert. I think strong was a terrible HC for Texas and that MANY other coaches could have done much more with what they were left at Texas than he did. Not saying strong was left a title contender, but not near as bad as he made them out to be. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Guys you are taking this to an extreme. There’s a big difference in calling what was left behind a “disaster” and saying there were some problems he left behind. 

Even with the holes jimbo left, they are still more talented than all but Clemson in the acc. How many times have you guys EVER besides Saban and LSU seen a coach leave a program and it be national title or even conference title ready in year one? Not very often. But yet first year coaches find ways all the time to at least make a bowl game... taggert is awful. Seriously maybe the worst coach in FBS. Yes jimbo left him a couple of messes to address, but that is not the same as leaving a disaster. Taggert is just a bad enough coach to make it look that way. 

And I am not worshiping jimbo by saying this. There is an argument here that you guys are missing. It’s just how truly awful taggert is and just how bad he is making the talent there look. 

OU and UCF say hi.

Just because others have a different opinion than you doesn't mean they are missing an argument. I think everyone here agrees that Taggert is an awful head coach.

18 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

OU and UCF say hi.

Just because others have a different opinion than you doesn't mean they are missing an argument. I think everyone here agrees that Taggert is an awful head coach.

Lol at ucf being a title contender... 

And OU had its problems defensively as well. Riley is just a great young HC. I can point out plenty of holes in that OU team after stoops retirement that a below average HC the caliber of Taggert or strong could have turned into making ou a 7 win team. Riley is a good enough HC to mask those holes while also building the holes up. Which honestly could have happened at FSU with the right coach. 

Im simply saying those saying FSU was a disaster when fisher left are over exaggerating. That’s not me having a problem with people disagreeing. For those that are being rational saying fisher left some holes or that the Oline was weak when he left I agree. Disaster though? Probably not. I can name a dozen young coaches off the top of my head that probably would have went 8-4 or better with that “disaster” last season having that schedule. Taggert is just making the problem look so much worse than it really is. 

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

OU and UCF say hi.

Did you really legitimize ucf "National Championship". Reaching aren't we? 

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

So you’re saying that Jimbo had plenty of talent and had subpar results?  

• Like 1
  • Stinks 1

2 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

What if we just say Jimbo left a fiasco at FSU? 

I mean, I don’t think it’s much different than what most coaches leave behind. The majority of new HCs are walking into either pretty heavy rebuilds or teams that are missing a few spots to being a title contender. If you guys want to say FSU was a fiasco, what do you call  early every other HC vacancy every year? 90% of them are usually in rebuilds or needing attention in areas. What jimbo left wasn’t considerably worse than what most HCs are walking into. Therefore how can it be labeled a Fiasco or a Disaster? Had Taggert been even an average HC he probably wins 7-8 games last year and this discussion is not happening. But because Taggert is so awful people are piling this up as jimbo left a worse than average situation instead of just calling a spade a spade and saying maybe FSU hires a terrible HC. 

• Thumbs Down 1

4 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

So you’re saying that Jimbo had plenty of talent and had subpar results?  

Are you referring to his final season there? Yes I believe he didn’t perform anywhere close to what they should have. That schedule is pretty soft and outside of QB he was still more talented position by position than majority of his schedule. But jimbo played 11 games of his schedule starting his 3rd string qb. Not making excuses for him, but in a offense that’s predicated on having above average qb and is known for being one of the more complicated systems for QBs to pick up in college football, I’m not going to say they guy did a fireable offense for going 5-7. But yes to answer your question, I believe they were more talented than 5-7 that year and jimbo could/should have made more adjustments to his offense to protect a 3rd string qb.

You guys think this is me just worshiping jimbo and it’s not. He has his faults as a coach. But how everyone thinks Taggerts teams being this bad is jimbos fault is beyond me. You can’t honestly tell me that most HCs walk into just completely better situations. Nearly every HC walks into rebuilds and yet many still manage to do better than Taggert. The guy is a horrible HC and people still want to blame Jimbo when Taggert has been horrible nearly everywhere he’s been. Look how quickly Oregon turned around without him. All the evidence points towards Taggert being awful more than jimbo leaving him a “disaster.” 

Jumbo underperformed with the talent that he had at FSU his last year, granted all with a 3rd string QB. But still had enough talent for an average coach to go 8-4. And yes, Taggart has fallen forward. It is stated here that he did not do enough as a coach to adjust to his talent. Now he is at A&M and he is not playing to the strength of his QB. Was Jameson Jimbo”s VY and Colt?

6 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Jumbo underperformed with the talent that he had at FSU his last year, granted all with a 3rd string QB. But still had enough talent for an average coach to go 8-4. And yes, Taggart has fallen forward. It is stated here that he did not do enough as a coach to adjust to his talent. Now he is at A&M and he is not playing to the strength of his QB. Was Jameson Jimbo”s VY and Colt?

I wouldn’t go that far. It’s a little too early to think Winston made fisher imo. If in 4-5 yeas Jimbo is still 7-8 wins a year at A&M then yes I think it would be fair to say maybe Fisher peaked under a heisman qb and is just average. 

1 minute ago, WETSU said:

I wouldn’t go that far. It’s a little too early to think Winston made fisher imo. If in 4-5 yeas Jimbo is still 7-8 wins a year at A&M then yes I think it would be fair to say maybe Fisher peaked under a heisman qb and is just average. 

You can do a lot with a legit qb and dominant in the trenches. Looks like he is legit but time will tell . 

11 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Looked like he wasn't in it. I bet he mentally checked out.