MavGrad's Week 5 Preview (2019)

Coach Rab

20 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Looked like he wasn't in it. I bet he mentally checked out. 

It’s highly possible that there’s some truth to this. I’m not sure i necessarily think it’s completely true because Jimbos personality doesn’t seem like he’s capable of taking a season off, but I can see how it might have happened. Whether it was checking out or just losing the team or dealing with injuries or any combination of the 3, he failed his last season at FSU there’s no denying that. They might not have been a title contender but I think they should have been able to reach a bowl game easily. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

You guys think this is me just worshiping jimbo and it’s not. He has his faults as a coach. But how everyone thinks Taggerts teams being this bad is jimbos fault is beyond me. You can’t honestly tell me that most HCs walk into just completely better situations. Nearly every HC walks into rebuilds and yet many still manage to do better than Taggert. The guy is a horrible HC and people still want to blame Jimbo when Taggert has been horrible nearly everywhere he’s been. Look how quickly Oregon turned around without him. All the evidence points towards Taggert being awful more than jimbo leaving him a “disaster.” 

So Taggert had virtually the same roster in his first year,  but Taggert is a bad coach with about the same results as Jimbo had with that roster.  

• Thanks 1
  • Stinks 1

36 minutes ago, WETSU said:

It’s highly possible that there’s some truth to this. I’m not sure i necessarily think it’s completely true because Jimbos personality doesn’t seem like he’s capable of taking a season off, but I can see how it might have happened. Whether it was checking out or just losing the team or dealing with injuries or any combination of the 3, he failed his last season at FSU there’s no denying that. They might not have been a title contender but I think they should have been able to reach a bowl game easily. 

I seem to remember Jimbo telling fans to “come say it to his face” or kiss his or something like that.  I believe he had fire still.  Somebody that’d checked out wouldn’t have been screaming at the fans booing him or telling him he sucked

• Stinks 1

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

So Taggert had virtually the same roster in his first year,  but Taggert is a bad coach with about the same results as Jimbo had with that roster.  

No. Taggert got the starting QB back. Believe what you want to believe, but there aren’t many HCs out there that win a lot of games with their 3rd string guys. Should Jimbo have gone 5-7 that year, I don’t think so. I think 7-5 would have been attainable. But that is NOT the same situation as taggerts first year. And it’s not just Taggerts time at FSU I’m basing this on. He took a generally solid Oregon and did horrible with them too. The very next year a new coach comes in and has them playing well. So imo this is more about how bad taggert is than how poor jimbo left the talent. Like I said jimbo isn’t blameless, but you guys acting Like he left behind a complete dumpster fire that will take years to rebuild are over exaggerating imo. 

5 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I seem to remember Jimbo telling fans to “come say it to his face” or kiss his or something like that.  I believe he had fire still.  Somebody that’d checked out wouldn’t have been screaming at the fans booing him or telling him he sucked

I’m not sure what the truth is to that. But the point is Jimbo didn’t get it done his final year at FSU. And I do not believe it was because he had no talent there and left a disaster. He just had a bad year. Whether it was injuries or losing the team or whatever reason. 

Which is why I don’t understand why you guys on here think I look at jimbo as some savior. I know they struggled his final year and he’s far from perfect. My reasonings for thinking FSU #### so bad because of taggert has nothing to do with my opinion of jimbo. It has everything to do with how bad I believe Taggert is yet nobody wants to acknowledge that y’all just want to blame jimbo. 

7 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I’m not sure what the truth is to that. But the point is Jimbo didn’t get it done his final year at FSU. And I do not believe it was because he had no talent there and left a disaster. He just had a bad year. Whether it was injuries or losing the team or whatever reason. 

Which is why I don’t understand why you guys on here think I look at jimbo as some savior. I know they struggled his final year and he’s far from perfect. My reasonings for thinking FSU #### so bad because of taggert has nothing to do with my opinion of jimbo. It has everything to do with how bad I believe Taggert is yet nobody wants to acknowledge that y’all just want to blame jimbo. 

He did, I saw video of it on espn I believe.  He was hot.  I don’t believe he checked out.  Taggert was/is a pathetic coach.  Bad coaches can have good years, good coaches can have bad years even with good talent.  I think jimbo’s biggest issue is his failure to adapt his offense and use the strength of his personnel.  He seems pretty dead set in what he does

• Like 1
  • Stinks 1

5 hours ago, WETSU said:

Lol at ucf being a title contender... 

And OU had its problems defensively as well. Riley is just a great young HC. I can point out plenty of holes in that OU team after stoops retirement that a below average HC the caliber of Taggert or strong could have turned into making ou a 7 win team. Riley is a good enough HC to mask those holes while also building the holes up. Which honestly could have happened at FSU with the right coach. 

Im simply saying those saying FSU was a disaster when fisher left are over exaggerating. That’s not me having a problem with people disagreeing. For those that are being rational saying fisher left some holes or that the Oline was weak when he left I agree. Disaster though? Probably not. I can name a dozen young coaches off the top of my head that probably would have went 8-4 or better with that “disaster” last season having that schedule. Taggert is just making the problem look so much worse than it really is. 

Lol at not reading your own post. You said “national title contender OR even conference title ready” and yes, UCF applies to that latter part considering they won their conference last year. 

4 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

Did you really legitimize ucf "National Championship". Reaching aren't we? 

Uhhh no I didn’t. Read what the originally comment I quoted . He said “national title or even conference title ready in year one” UCF applies to conference title ready considering they won their conference in 2018 after Frost left and will most likely again this year. That’s not reaching by any means 

Just now, ETXfan16 said:

Uhhh no I didn’t. Read what the originally comment I quoted . He said “national title or even conference title ready in year one” UCF applies to conference title ready considering they won their conference in 2018 after Frost left and will most likely again this year. That’s not reaching by any means 

Yes I understand with the conference championship. I was afraid you were giving them credit for a National Championship. 

1 minute ago, Champ1000 said:

Yes I understand with the conference championship. I was afraid you were giving them credit for a National Championship. 

No no. Now, I wish they would have gotten the opportunity to play in the playoff so they could get exposed, but I’ve never considered them real national title contenders 

Don't trust the hype or the Sec bias. Little unexpected but proves the Sec is overrated and Big 12 is underrated. 

Teams with losing records by Conference. 

ACC: 2 (GA Tech, UNC)

Big 12: 1 (Kansas)

B1G: 3 (RUTG, PUR, NW)

PAC-12: 3 (UCLA, ORST, STAN)

SEC: 6 (SC, TENN, VAN, UK, ARK, OLE MISS)

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Don't trust the hype or the Sec bias. Little unexpected but proves the Sec is overrated and Big 12 is underrated. 

Teams with losing records by Conference. 

ACC: 2 (GA Tech, UNC)

Big 12: 1 (Kansas)

B1G: 3 (RUTG, PUR, NW)

PAC-12: 3 (UCLA, ORST, STAN)

SEC: 6 (SC, TENN, VAN, UK, ARK, OLE MISS)

You’re not supposed to care how the big 12 is doing. You’re supposed to hope every team but your own loses every game they play. That’s how this site works. 

24 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Lol at not reading your own post. You said “national title contender OR even conference title ready” and yes, UCF applies to that latter part considering they won their conference last year. 

I was directing this convo at power 5 teams. Of course many mid majors, Boise, ucf, Houston being the main ones, are usually replacing coaches who did well and the coach took a better job. Therefore their team is usually doing well and is better than their competition. That is not the same as power 5 coaches being replaced. Schedule also is so much easier it’s hard to compare them. 

14 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

That's a very good comparison. 

I think part of what WET is getting at is how FSU fans harped on the fact that Jimbo was "over the hill", they were "happy to see him gone", and were excited that Taggert was going to "take the program to the next level". Anyone worth their salt could see none of those things were true. 

and anyone worth their salt could disagree with you and be just as right/wrong as you.  over the hill......matter of opinion.  happy to see him gone.....you could read lots of places that were happy he was gone, not rebargaining for more money, using every job that came open as leverage, not underperforming with good recruits.  The only thing that could be said as fact was taggert wasn't a good hire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Champ1000 said:

Not really you can think what you want. I am more of a Jimbo Fisher fan. I like how he conducts himself . A&M is a constant underachiver who dwells in being  Mediocre. 

You're fooling no one. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, WETSU said:

You guys think this is me just worshiping jimbo and it’s not. He has his faults as a coach. But how everyone thinks Taggerts teams being this bad is jimbos fault is beyond me. You can’t honestly tell me that most HCs walk into just completely better situations. Nearly every HC walks into rebuilds and yet many still manage to do better than Taggert. The guy is a horrible HC and people still want to blame Jimbo when Taggert has been horrible nearly everywhere he’s been. Look how quickly Oregon turned around without him. All the evidence points towards Taggert being awful more than jimbo leaving him a “disaster.” 

You guys defending what Jimbo left FSU is the funny part of all of this.  He finished 5-7, another year and probably the same results...  I think he lost motivation to be great at FSU and A&M and their money renewed that fire.  Jimbo is competitive and does not want to be seen as a loser or a failure.  A&M gave him a new opportunity that almost guarantees him a winning season each year based on the talent that goes to A&M alone by default.  Then you add in his recruiting ability and this state and the need to be great to even compete in the SEC... jimbo will be fine...

but defending what he left at FSU is lazy.  You guys have a great coach, but when he left FSU he wasn’t that great due to whatever reason

• Thanks 1