Greatest H.S. Football Player in East Texas History Poll...

Smoaky

7 hours ago, HTaylor said:

From what I saw, they picked one person from East Texas town. So, if you aren’t the best in your school history, you don’t make the list.

Well that doesn't hold water either ... they certainly didn't pick the best player from Lufkin or Garrison  ...

On 10/1/2019 at 6:22 PM, KirtFalcon said:

They also left out probably one of the top 3 of all time in Ken Houston ... unbelievable!

Kenneth Ray Houston (born November 12, 1944) is a former American football safety in the American Football League and National Football League. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1986. Ken HoustonNo. 29, 27Position:SafetyPersonal informationBorn:November 12, 1944 (age 74) Lufkin, TexasHeight:6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)Weight:197 lb (89 kg)Career informationHigh school:Dunbar (Lufkin, Texas)College:Prairie View A&MNFL Draft:1967 / Round: 9 / Pick: 214Career historyHouston Oilers (1967–1972)Washington Redskins (1973–1980)Career highlights and awards

12× Pro Bowl (1968–1979)

2× First-team AllPro (1975, 1978)

10× Second-team All-Pro (1968–1974, 1976, 1977, 1979)

NFL 75th Anniversary All-Time TeamNFL 1970s All-Decade TeamTitans/Oilers Ring of Honor70 Greatest RedskinsWashington Redskins Ring of FameCareer NFL statisticsGames played:196Interceptions:49Interception return yards:898Fumblesrecovered:21Touchdowns:12Player stats at NFL.comPlayer stats at PFR Pro Football Hall of Fame Houston played for the AFL's Houston Oilers from 1967 through 1969, and after the AFL–NFL merger, with the Oilers from 1970through 1972, then with the Washington Redskins until 1980.

Also no Domingo Bryant ... unbelievable

Domingo Garcia Bryant (born December 8, 1963) is a former American football defensive backwho played two seasons with the Houston Oilers of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the sixth round of the 1986 NFL Draft. Bryant played college footballat Texas A&M University 

1986 Cotton Bowl MVP

and attended Garrison High School in Garrison, Texas.[1] He was also a member of the Pittsburgh Gladiators of the Arena Football League. Domingo BryantNo. 23, 38Position:Defensive backPersonal informationBorn:December 8, 1963 (age 55) Nacogdoches, TexasHeight:6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)Weight:178 lb (81 kg)Career informationHigh school:Garrison (TX)College:Texas A&MNFL Draft:1986 / Round: 6 / Pick: 148Career historyHouston Oilers (1987–1988)Pittsburgh Gladiators (1990)Career NFL statistics

Loved to watch Ken Houston play.

On 10/20/2019 at 7:08 AM, Tomcatonloose said:

Yes. Not saying he was the best but definitely should be mentioned 

I lived in palestine the year they won state champs in 1964 . I went to the game i was only 3 years old.My dad told me

quiet a few stories about Super Bill ...and said he was an(quarterback) amazing athlete. Our station wagon was loaded with kids around the neighborhood headed to state game :)  I slept most of time and just don't remember much at that age.

3 hours ago, MUSTANGMANIA said:

Yes, but aren't we looking for HS stats?

Not based on the write ups in the LNJ poll/article .....  most of them include their career achievements .... I think they just threw it together and didn't really do a lot of research .... if they had, there is no way you leave out Ken Houston .... he has to be at least top 3 all-time and most of the people they included pale in comparison to him .... 

• Stinks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
42 minutes ago, BearKat said:

Craver from Harleton was pretty impressive.

When my oldest son was playing for Waskom, they held Craver to about 45 yards rushing and beat Harelton like a rented mule that year. Waskom went to the quarter finals that year.

• Smoaky unpinned this topic