Week 6 Carthage @ Pleasant Grove

PantherNation2015

Carthage @ Pleasant Grove  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win this slugfest?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/05/2019 at 12:30 AM

On 9/29/2019 at 9:18 PM, Everide2016 said:

Getting a little carried away with that.  Yes, it's a big game, but not many outside of east Texas, and almost none outside of Texas, going to have any interest in tuning in to watch these two in a regular season game.  

I’m down here in the swamps of SETX, and I’d durn sure watch it on TV.   This is one of those rare classic matchups, similar to the North Shore vs Katy game.   Hope there’s no injuries, no damaging turnovers, just let the the best team win.  Goood luck to both.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 9:18 PM, Everide2016 said:

Getting a little carried away with that.  Yes, it's a big game, but not many outside of east Texas, and almost none outside of Texas, going to have any interest in tuning in to watch these two in a regular season game.  

This is probably the biggest game in Texas this week. Every 4A team/fan has got their thumb on this game. It's #1 vs #1. Who wouldn't? National television is a little much but it should be broadcast on something like Texanlive. There's not a doubt in my mind that 10000 people would show up for this game if the venue suited. The Gilmer/Carthage game a few years back (Carthage @ Gilmer) was absolutely packed. They brought in extra bleachers, everything. Ticket presales were sold out within 24 hours. 

4 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

This is probably the biggest game in Texas this week. Every 4A team/fan has got their thumb on this game. It's #1 vs #1. Who wouldn't? National television is a little much but it should be broadcast on something like Texanlive. There's not a doubt in my mind that 10000 people would show up for this game if the venue suited. The Gilmer/Carthage game a few years back (Carthage @ Gilmer) was absolutely packed. They brought in extra bleachers, everything. Ticket presales were sold out within 24 hours. 

These two teams need to find a suitable neutral venue for not only their fans, but also to handle the substantial overflow of other fans who would no doubt wish to attend this slug fest...

10 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

If my count is correct there are as many as 20 players between the two teams with at least one offer to play college football.  5 star, 4 star, 3 star recruits all over the field on both sides.  I have watched several HS games on ESPN with less recruits.  Longview vs John Tyler is the most recent.

3 hours ago, Hawk20 said:

The national trend is moving towards flag before middle school, but that certainly isn't everywhere.  Until it is, I think there will be a huge difference between kids that padded up and kids that played flag.  Some of it is just practical........in youth league, kids get weeded out once they realize they don't like the contact.  Then the kids that enter middle school are kids that really want to play.

With kids playing flag, the weed out year will be 7th grade.  Kids will have to decide if they can deal with the contact.  That means 7th grade coaches will have more players than they can really use and give playing time.  Then parents will get mad because junior didn't play as much as they thought he should. kind of a mess for a 7th grade coach.....

Gilmer starts tackle in 4th grade, it's my nephew's first year of tackle, he's not afraid to take a lick and can sure give one at rb.  My son is in kindergarten here in gilmer and plays on a flag team which usually ends up being almost tackle minus the pads.

31 minutes ago, RAM said:

Carthage's wide outs will be the difference. 

Quick Slants will beat that pass rush.

Carthage comes to Bowie County and the Panola County teams Wins by 2 TD's.

I think you are correct on the key to the game - it will be how big an impact the Carthage WR's have on the game.

First - I give the edge to PG's D-Line getting pressure on deep/medium routes.  Where Carthage may have an advantage is on getting the ball to the WR's underneath in space.  If they can do that consistently it will give them the edge when they have the ball.  I'm not worried about the Carthage run game beating us.  They may have an improved run game, but I don't see it being something that kills PG.  The PG front 7 is too good to make a living off of.  

I think PG will be able to move the ball - they have moved the ball on everyone they have faced for 3 years - it's not going to stop now.  I don't know how many big plays they will have and if they will come via the air or ground - but PG WILL move the ball and score.  If Carthage tries to take away the pass then the drives will be long and PG will have to avoid penalties or turnovers.  

I'm hoping for this on Def for PG - keep the ball in front of us and put enough pressure on the Carthage QB to keep him from taking too many deep shots.  Make strong tackles on throws underneath.  On Offense - no turnovers or penalties - if the boys do that the rest will take care of itself.  

PG 26-20

PG is good no doubt. Classy and well coached They gave us a good ole whooping. But, I don’t think this years PG is a good as last years team. The offense didn’t seem to be as good as last years offense. I just felt like PG is down compared to last years team. I may be off just my opinion. 

Im predicting a Carthage win by at least 2 tds. 

2 minutes ago, JugLine said:

PG is good no doubt. Classy and well coached They gave us a good ole whooping. But, I don’t think this years PG is a good as last years team. The offense didn’t seem to be as good as last years offense. I just felt like PG is down compared to last years team. I may be off just my opinion. 

What in the hell are you smoking? Lol

2 minutes ago, JugLine said:

Not as good as last year??  LOL  

This is probably the exact same team as last year only a year older.  

I doubt the gap is more than single digits either way...

4 minutes ago, JugLine said:

thats funny.  its the same offense other than a full back and a guard

1 hour ago, CarthDawg77 said:

These two teams need to find a suitable neutral venue for not only their fans, but also to handle the substantial overflow of other fans who would no doubt wish to attend this slug fest...

I agree entirely. This game could fill Lobo with ease. But, I guess they never know these things when scheduling. 2 years ago PG has just won a state championship and were talking about rebuilding, that they probably wouldn't compete for a couple more years. Back to state they went. This team, in my opinion, is without a doubt better than their state championship team.

1 hour ago, RAM said:

Carthage's wide outs will be the difference. 

Quick Slants will beat that pass rush.

Carthage comes to Bowie County and the Panola County teams Wins by 2 TD's.

PGs DL are like 6’a billion. Hands will be in the way on slants. 

36 minutes ago, Hawks2021 said:

I think you are correct on the key to the game - it will be how big an impact the Carthage WR's have on the game.

First - I give the edge to PG's D-Line getting pressure on deep/medium routes.  Where Carthage may have an advantage is on getting the ball to the WR's underneath in space.  If they can do that consistently it will give them the edge when they have the ball.  I'm not worried about the Carthage run game beating us.  They may have an improved run game, but I don't see it being something that kills PG.  The PG front 7 is too good to make a living off of.  

I think PG will be able to move the ball - they have moved the ball on everyone they have faced for 3 years - it's not going to stop now.  I don't know how many big plays they will have and if they will come via the air or ground - but PG WILL move the ball and score.  If Carthage tries to take away the pass then the drives will be long and PG will have to avoid penalties or turnovers.  

I'm hoping for this on Def for PG - keep the ball in front of us and put enough pressure on the Carthage QB to keep him from taking too many deep shots.  Make strong tackles on throws underneath.  On Offense - no turnovers or penalties - if the boys do that the rest will take care of itself.  

PG 26-20

Carthage scored 3 of 4 TD’s last year on short to intermediate passes with lots of YAC.  Dixon took a pass in the flat to the house for around 60 yards on the first possession.  RB Smith came out of the backfield and caught a 15 yarder straight up the hash and went 80 yards for a TD, and TE Holcomb caught a short out in the red zone for a TD.  Dixon had much success when he got the ball in space making PG miss and just outrunning them.  Williams also caught 6 for 75 yards with most of his damage coming in 10-15 yards outs.  Very few if any of the longer play action passes were competed.

1 hour ago, Hawks2021 said:

PG 26-20

Pretty much what I was saying.