Week 6 Carthage @ Pleasant Grove

PantherNation2015

Carthage @ Pleasant Grove  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win this slugfest?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/05/2019 at 12:30 AM

31 minutes ago, unclebubba said:

I thought the biggest play in the game is when Carthage stopped Pleasant Grove in Carthage territory on 4th down with Carthage up 21-14.  PG was already having trouble stopping Carthage at that point and I think that stop prevented any momentum from swinging PG's way.  I know we are quick to criticize officials but I thought that crew last night did an outstanding job.  They let the kids play and with both teams playing at a fast pace, that crew hustled and got the ball back in play after each play to let the teams play at the pace they liked.  Great job by the refs!

Yep that play call did not make any sense 4th and a foot 21 and 25 had not been stopped for no gain all night and they go with a pitch back to the short side of the field! 
I agree the refs did an outstanding job! 

Carthage proved to be the better team on this particular night.  The game was much, much closer than the final score indicated.  I was particularly disappointed with some decisions that the PG coach made that put the team in bad situations.  The first one was in the first quarter, the first play that the Hawks ran was a trick play that netted nothing.  When a coach goes directly to trick plays (BN of THS) then he has some doubt about his teams ability to just line up a run the plays that you usually run and are productive.  This play was also after PG had FORCED THE DOGS TO PUNT!!!  Who was that that said they never punt?  There was also a bad decision made towards the end of the second quarter that allowed the Dogs the opportunity to throw to deep pass that tied up the game.  In the second quarter the Hawks should have punted instead of going for it on fourth down that gave the Dogs a short field to work with and they capitalized on the opportunity.  PG should have thrown the ball more than they did to make the Dogs defense back off of the line of scrimmage.  With two weeks to prepare for PG the Dogs defended the run as well as I have seen anyone do it against PG.  The Dogs offensive line was really good and wore on PG in the second half because the PG offensive could not get anything going and the turnover.  BTW, I did not see PG snap the ball with less than 5 seconds on the play clock like some goofball stated in an earlier post.  The officiating was definitely better Friday night than it was last year in Carthage.  There is no cheating in Texarkana unless we get infiltrated by the agents of doom from out of town.  All things being equal and constant, if these two teams played again the game would be a tossup.  You Dog posters act like this is the first game that you have ever won but go ahead and enjoy your victory.  In a month or so you will be in the playoffs and you will go down again just like last season!  TTTtttooooodddlllllleeeelllooooo puppydawgs!!!

• Thumbs Down 1

6 hours ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

Carthage proved to be the better team on this particular night.  The game was much, much closer than the final score indicated.  I was particularly disappointed with some decisions that the PG coach made that put the team in bad situations.  The first one was in the first quarter, the first play that the Hawks ran was a trick play that netted nothing.  When a coach goes directly to trick plays (BN of THS) then he has some doubt about his teams ability to just line up a run the plays that you usually run and are productive.  This play was also after PG had FORCED THE DOGS TO PUNT!!!  Who was that that said they never punt?  There was also a bad decision made towards the end of the second quarter that allowed the Dogs the opportunity to throw to deep pass that tied up the game.  In the second quarter the Hawks should have punted instead of going for it on fourth down that gave the Dogs a short field to work with and they capitalized on the opportunity.  PG should have thrown the ball more than they did to make the Dogs defense back off of the line of scrimmage.  With two weeks to prepare for PG the Dogs defended the run as well as I have seen anyone do it against PG.  The Dogs offensive line was really good and wore on PG in the second half because the PG offensive could not get anything going and the turnover.  BTW, I did not see PG snap the ball with less than 5 seconds on the play clock like some goofball stated in an earlier post.  The officiating was definitely better Friday night than it was last year in Carthage.  There is no cheating in Texarkana unless we get infiltrated by the agents of doom from out of town.  All things being equal and constant, if these two teams played again the game would be a tossup.  You Dog posters act like this is the first game that you have ever won but go ahead and enjoy your victory.  In a month or so you will be in the playoffs and you will go down again just like last season!  TTTtttooooodddlllllleeeelllooooo puppydawgs!!!

So you got on here to tell us your coach isn’t good and we will lose in the playoffs? Got it....

• LOL! 1

6 hours ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

What's the PG state ring look like from last year?  I never got to see a pic of it...

• LOL! 2

15 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Just stop.  14-14 with 8 mins left in the 4th the game could have gone either way.  If PG converts that 4th and short it’s a much closer ending.  As it turns out they didn’t and Carthage made them pay.  The game was much closer than the score indicates.

A 21 point score difference is not a toss up. Dawgs took awhile to find their rhythm but in the end they Carthaged on those lil Hawkies.

15 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Obviously with Carthage being in Region III, there's not as many toptier teams this season to contend with as in Region II.  So naturally Carthage fans feel very secure in their playoff possibilities going deep......and rightly so.  In Region II there are many toptier ranked teams in 4A D-l.  La Vega's District 5 has Brownwood and China Spring also.....not to mention Stephenville.  Argyle is in District 7 in Region II, along with Paris, Melissa, and Celina.  Those 2 districts alone are very strong in D-1 this season. In Region I, Decatur, Springtown, and Gainesville are all in the same district and all remain undefeated so far.  Say what you will, but they have all won against their schedule......it's still football and Friday Night Lights in Texas. Alvarado(4-2) in Region II District 8 lost to Van in the first game of the year, and to Decatur 49-42 in a close battle, but defeated Kennedale and China Spring already.  They could play the spoiler role in the playoffs in Region II.....they will most likely win their district  and nobody really knows yet how good they will be by the time the playoffs get here. I expect them to be undefeated in district play this season.......an under the radar team, for sure.

Hogwash regal. So Henderson and Kilgore are not good teams? Really?

20 hours ago, regaleagle said:

I will submit now that the list of contenders in 4a D-1 is much longer than just 3 teams.  This is high school football in the great state of Texas......and there are more than just a few teams this season in 4a D-1 capable of advancing to a regional final and making it to Jerryworld.  There are some favorites......but this season in Division 1 especially there are some pretty good teams that could surprise when the playoffs get here.

Carthage La Vega and Argyle.   That about sums it up.  With Carthage’s defense that list shrinks really quick.

41 minutes ago, NightStar11 said:

A 21 point score difference is not a toss up. Dawgs took awhile to find their rhythm but in the end they Carthaged on those lil Hawkies.

It was closer than the score indicated. Carthage pulled away in the 4th. PG gave carthage everything it wanted and preparing both for long playoff runs. All you gotta do is watch film or view it on YouTube instead of the ridiculous notion that pleasant Grove was annihilated.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

If I were you, I would walk right up to coach Gibson and tell him exactly what you wrote on here. He might even hire you as a consultant. 

it was a great ball game between two of the best teams in the state. 

Both will be the favorites to win state championships. 

Me I am a homer and I truly believe this Dawg team has the best defense and O line in all of 4A, a QB that is getting better every game, outstanding running backs, best wide receivers in 4A and hands down the best coaches in the state. 

Can the Dawgs be beat. I guess we will have to wait and see. 

Lets Go Dawgs!!!!!!!

God Bless coaches, players, and fans. 

6 minutes ago, NightStar11 said:

Naah Hendo and Kilgore beat lots of good teams every year except Carthage so stop dat lying dude.

Not really they have beaten the teams they supposed to beat. Neither has beaten carthage since 2016. They are good but not Elite. 

1 minute ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Kilgore lost to Pitt 13-12 and Hendo gave up 40 to Jacksonville and 32 to Rusk?  Past yes but not this year.

Agree both are struggling but should finish 2nd-4th along with Van. Assuming they take care of business against Palestine & Chapel Hill. 

8 hours ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

You think Bulldog fans are acting like this is the first game we’ve ever won? No, that’s how we acted when we won state for the first time in 2008. 

Beating PG was a big pre-district win that counts in the win/loss column, but has zero consequence in our district results. It was a very good game to be fortunate enough to win for team confidence purposes and experience in playing a fantastic team and program in the PG Hawks. Also, it looked like an AWESOME atmosphere Friday night! Man, I wish I’d have been able to attend!

This game absolutely was a toss up until the fourth quarter. Carthage eventually did wear down the Hawk defense and began running the ball extremely effectively behind that OL. The Bulldog receivers did their thing throughout the game and the defense was solid against the run most of the night. 

The comment about Carthage and other East Texas teams south of I-30 having help from the refs seems a little off base. I did see a few still shots of the game last year and it did look like the Bulldog OL held some last year and perhaps they were not called and should have been. That’s not why PG lost last year and as you stated, this Friday’s game was a well called game by the refs and PG lost by 21.

The Hawks are awesome and it took four full quarters from the Dawgs starters to get a huge win on the road against a great, great football team.

Good luck to the Pleasant Grove Hawks and I hope the Hawks win state this year!

Go Dawgs!!!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NightStar11 said:

Hogwash regal. So Henderson and Kilgore are not good teams? Really?

I don't believe I ever mentioned that......I really didn't even hit on Region III because I'm not closely familiar with those teams over there.  I stayed with what I was more familiar with in Regions I and II.  But I do know this......and so does everybody else that follows 4A, including Grant and Terry on Sideline to Sideline:  Region II in D-1 is absolutely "loaded" with toptier teams this season.  Anybody that denies that fact is just lost in space. Of course there are other good teams with a chance in other regions.  I didn't mention any Region IV teams, either.  But I did point out there were many other teams too........giving room for others like yourself to point them out and tell us what you know about them.