Week 6 Carthage @ Pleasant Grove

PantherNation2015

Carthage @ Pleasant Grove  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win this slugfest?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/05/2019 at 12:30 AM

19 hours ago, Hawks2021 said:

NightStar11 is just being belligerent.

Yes - PG is growing, but it is land locked on the east and south by Arkansas High and Texas High.  If PG didn't open enrollment on a limited basis there is no chance it would have moved to 4A Div 1 for the foreseeable future.  Now, it is possible that in a few years they may grow to Div 1 - or PG could opt to hold and limit enrollment to remain where they are.  But that choice will have much more to do with funding and budget than it has to do with winning football games...

dont you get more money for non district students than students that live inside your district? with PGs almost all residential tax base i figured thats why they opened up enrollment. 

3 hours ago, txk85 said:

dont you get more money for non district students than students that live inside your district? with PGs almost all residential tax base i figured thats why they opened up enrollment. 

I do not think you do, but I could be wrong. Texas school districts are receiving funds based on daily attendance. It is probably why PG has limited open enrollment. There is a financial advantage of having more students at the school.  That is why Administration and teachers push daily attendance.

• Thumbs Down 1

44 minutes ago, swaha said:

I do not think you do, but I could be wrong. Texas school districts are receiving funds based on daily attendance. It is probably why PG has limited open enrollment. There is a financial advantage of having more students at the school.  That is why Administration and teachers push daily attendance.

all i could find was the districts can get more money for at risk students (low-income and students with learning disabilities).  

39 minutes ago, txk85 said:

all i could find was the districts can get more money for at risk students (low-income and students with learning disabilities).  

There are articles on the web about Texas school funding based on attendance. There is one about the Austin ISD and the costs associated with absenteeism. In regards to PG, when they started limited open enrollment, I heard they had a goal district wide of additional 100 students. Supposedly, the additional 100 students would bring in over $700,000, because funding is linked to daily attendance.. This information was coming from someone that knew school funding and the inner workings. 

5 hours ago, txk85 said:

Some schools charge $XXXX to come to their school if you live in another  district - at least I know they did a few years ago. 
So say a student from Redwater goes to school in Hooks because their English dept is better, Hooks might have a set fee of $1500 a year to come to Hooks from out-of-district, and thus that student’s guardians would have to pay the $1500. 

On 10/15/2019 at 3:46 PM, cotton84 said:

Some schools charge $XXXX to come to their school if you live in another  district - at least I know they did a few years ago. 
So say a student from Redwater goes to school in Hooks because their English dept is better, Hooks might have a set fee of $1500 a year to come to Hooks from out-of-district, and thus that student’s guardians would have to pay the $1500. 

It's $400 a year at gilmer.  My house is in union grove sd by about 100 yards.  My wife and I both work in the city of gilmer so it's easier for us for my son to attend gilmer.  My sons application has to go in front of the school board to be voted on every year.  

• LOL! 1

43 minutes ago, StangtilDeath said:

It's $400 a year at gilmer.  My house is in union grove sd by about 100 yards.  My wife and I both work in the city of gilmer so it's easier for us for my son to attend gilmer.  My sons application has to go in front of the school board to be voted on every year.  

And some time they will give you a place to live and jobs for the guardian I’ve been told. 

On 10/15/2019 at 10:32 AM, txk85 said:

PG is scared to play the big boys where they belong. 

• Stinks 2

On 10/15/2019 at 3:33 PM, CarthDawg77 said:

What is an “at risk” student? Can someone who speaks fluent Democrat explain this?🤨

I'm a Republican but an at risk student is the son or daughter of a Dimocrat that has parents on welfare ( paid for from your paychecks ) who wants to get other free welfare at school. They think we owe them something. 

• Stinks 3

1 minute ago, NightStar11 said:

I'm a Republican but an at risk student is the son or daughter of a Dimocrat that has parents on welfare ( paid for from your paychecks ) who wants to get other free welfare at school. They think we owe them something. 

Hey let’s not get nasty about a child. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2019 at 4:22 PM, NightStar11 said:

You're just mad cuz I just enunciated what everyone already knows PG is doing. PG is scared to play with the big boys. 

Paris: 4A DIv1

Henderson: 4A DIv1

Chapel Hill: 4A DIv1

Gladewater: beat PG last year. (Have a two year schedule, so a must play) 

Atlanta: was ranked #1 in Region 2 in 3A DIv 1

That is not a cakewalk.

3 minutes ago, futfan said:

Paris: 4A DIv1

Henderson: 4A DIv1

Chapel Hill: 4A DIv1

Gladewater: beat PG last year. (Have a two year schedule, so a must play) 

Atlanta: was ranked #1 in Region 2 in 3A DIv 1

That is not a cakewalk.

Those games facts are true but they are rare contests. And Chappell Hill, Gladewater, and Hendo aren't really superpowers in football. However, you are right to include Paris and Atlanta under McClure. He was one of the ones who used to run around with Surratt and Preston in their high school and college days futfan. Now you see that nucleus of talent and where it came to formation. 

18 minutes ago, NightStar11 said:

Those games facts are true but they are rare contests. And Chappell Hill, Gladewater, and Hendo aren't really superpowers in football. However, you are right to include Paris and Atlanta under McClure. He was one of the ones who used to run around with Surratt and Preston in their high school and college days futfan. Now you see that nucleus of talent and where it came to formation. 

I don't agree with "rare contests", it is the two year schedule that only began immediately following the Hawk's first Title.

The two years before, Paris, Arkansas High, AR, Frisco, Liberty-Eylau, and Krum.

The first year was 1-4, the Championship year we went 5-0 against them. 

The idea that PG is now shying away from the "Big Boys" is not very strong.

When the Hawks were in the off years, before Josh Gibson got here, we had a couple of years, and even with a softer schedule, had limited success, 3 wins in 2011-2012 combined.

Nobody thought of playing big boys then, much less it being an issue.

The same statements made in 2008-2009 were just as baseless. The schedule was a done deal, and they played the cards dealt. Those two years of success were the result of some exceptional kids at the talent positions. It did not continue after they left, and the culture really went stale from lack of motivation. 

So I still disagree with your statement, that PG is afraid to play the Big Boys.

3 minutes ago, futfan said:

I don't agree with "rare contests", it is the two year schedule that only began immediately following the Hawk's first Title.

The two years before, Paris, Arkansas High, AR, Frisco, Liberty-Eylau, and Krum.

The first year was 1-4, the Championship year we went 5-0 against them. 

The idea that PG is now shying away from the "Big Boys" is not very strong.

When the Hawks were in the off years, before Josh Gibson got here, we had a couple of years, and even with a softer schedule, had limited success, 3 wins in 2011-2012 combined.

Nobody thought of playing big boys then, much less it being an issue.

The same statements made in 2008-2009 were just as baseless. The schedule was a done deal, and they played the cards dealt. Those two years of success were the result of some exceptional kids at the talent positions. It did not continue after they left, and the culture really went stale from lack of motivation. 

So I still disagree with your statement, that PG is afraid to play the Big Boys.

But the goal of the Hawks is what? The goal is to make ordinary players into exceptional talents. They can't wait around for them to come up. 

46 minutes ago, NightStar11 said:

you've lost me so who do you think PG should be playing? Highland Park? Allen? Katy?

no they dont have as tough of a schedule as say Liberty Eylau but who wants that schedule really. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, txk85 said:

you've lost me so who do you think PG should be playing? Highland Park? Allen? Katy?

no they dont have as tough of a schedule as say Liberty Eylau but who wants that schedule really. 

LE has Hands down the toughest schedule around. 

LE was always one of those schools that you didn't want for Homecoming.

They are having a tough run this year, but who wouldn't against those teams?