Safety or Not

Ronster23

At the 4 second mark if you stop the film you can see that ball carrier seems to extend right hand in front of his body.  There is no way to judge this play other than the officials that are on the sidelines that have the best view as to whether the ENTIRE football was in the field of play when he extended therefore that would be forward progress.  

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, SUPERKAT17 said:

At the 4 second mark if you stop the film you can see that ball carrier seems to extend right hand in front of his body.  There is no way to judge this play other than the officials that are on the sidelines that have the best view as to whether the ENTIRE football was in the field of play when he extended therefore that would be forward progress.  

You are exactly right when in doubt it's not a safety. I think forward progress was out. It's not where you feet or body it's where the ball is and it's like a touchdown if any part if the ball come out of endzone it's not a saftey.

5 minutes ago, mustang1113 said:

You are exactly right when in doubt it's not a safety. I think forward progress was out. It's not where you feet or body it's where the ball is and it's like a touchdown if any part if the ball come out of endzone it's not a saftey.

Of course I’m not an official but wouldn’t this be the same case as when a QB throws a pass beyond LOS? 

It's hard to tell. I go back and forth. At first I thought it was definitely not a safety, then once I got to looking at which hand the ball was in, I started thinking it was a safety. Honestly, it could go either way. I see people saying "definitely safety," but you really can't tell Jack from Jill at this angle. You think it's a safety. Well I think, the down/line judge have the best lines of sight on the ball. The 2nd video helped nothing. Without hovering directly over the LOS, you really can't tell. If he extends just an inch past the plane, he's good, and he very well may have done it. Too bad we don't have an unlimited number of angles of this. 

8 hours ago, mustang1113 said:

There is some good info in this thread and some erroneous info as well.  

First these angles are terrible to show anything definitively.  To say otherwise is not being truthful, you can suppose and theorize but you cannot say with certainty.   You really have to be looking right down the line otherwise the camera angles will artificially adjust your perception.   The officials have a split second to see this and make a determination.  Unfortunately they don’t have the ability to rewind, pause, zoom, analyze frame by frame, etc it isn’t as easy as it would seem sitting behind a 70” HDTV or 24” computer monitor. 

The statement on mechanics of where the line of scrimmage officials “should” be is correct, both, on this play, should be on the goalline looking right at this.  

To clear up any confusion, when the ball is going into the end zone only the plane of the front of the goalline must be broken by some part of the ball, when going out, the opposite is true.  The ENTIRE ball must be beyond the front plane of the goalline to NOT be a safety, that only makes sense, if any part puts it in, it would stand to reason that the inverse would be true to get it out.

All that being said, it doesn’t appear as though the runner advanced far enough to get the entire ball out of the end zone, however, if instant replay was used in this case, with these angles the play would “stand” either way, because there is no indisputable video evidence to overturn what the officials ruled on the field.  

We spend too much time nitpicking officials expecting them to be perfect when they, at all levels, are adjudicating games played by imperfect players taught by imperfect coaches who both make countless mistakes during a single game.   Most action takes place in a fraction of a second, that you have to go frame by frame to discern, the human brain is a powerful thing, but it didn’t come with a pause and rewind button.

• Like 2