WEEK 6: Marshall (1-3) Vs. Hallsville (2-3)

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs. Hallsville  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Hallsville by a little
    • Marshall by a little
    • Hallsville in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/05/2019 at 12:30 AM

I'll get all the historical stuff and stats posted soon.

HUGE game for both teams.  Still a must win Rivalry game....of course. 

Both have struggled at times this season......

BUT Marshall's lumps have come against 3 teams (Tyler Lee, Longview, Carthage) that are a combined (13-1) on the season..... two of them 6A.

Hallsville's meanwhile has entertained Terrell (1-4), Kilgore (4-2), Bullard (1-3)..... 

Usually a tough game... and it's in Hallsville....  

Who you got?

34 minutes ago, The Real Mavfan said:

Marshall. Too many athletes. Great game for Savion to work on some passing.

If he finds his touch on those passes..... that could be deadly.  Timing was still a little off on the long passes down field last night.  Minus the 91 yard pass...lmao.  But he was overthrowing most of the night.

Arkansas is getting a beast.  His stock can keep going up.

I'm more excited to see how we utilize Rawls more than just about anyone right now.  The guy is a stud.  

Can't overlook the Bobcats.  They have athletes.  They always do.  And we've played some ugly games in Bobcat Stadium in the past.  Can't afford to do that this year.

I like our chances....but we have to go out and fight for it.

https://www.marshallmavericks.net/

Mavs are (14-5) Vs. Hallsville since the series started in 2000.

Four of Marshall's five losses in the series have been at Bobcat Stadium.

------

Interesting note.... while the district WINNING streak was extended to 19 consecutive to break the record of 18 from 1987-1990..... the streak actually was 19 consecutive NON-LOSING streak.  The 1991 district opener to Tyler Lee ended in a tie, which isn't a loss.

So I guess technically you could say the streak could be broken this week with a win over Hallsville for the 20th.  But that's a technicality I guess.  LOL.

Savion Williams' stat line Vs. Lindale:

181 yards rushing with 3 TD's.
112 yards passing with a TD

Mavs had 555 yards of offense.  Lindale had 296.

Obviously.... not playing teams named Longview or Carthage helped immensely.  These numbers are pretty comparable to the stats put up Vs. Tyler Lee.

While there is no question we aren't the team we thought we'd be headed into the season..... maybe all that ugliness was more a product of how insanely good Longview and Carthage are instead of how bad we were.  I don't know.... no doubt it was ugly.  Not diminishing our efforts in those two games.  But.... Longview and Carthage.

We need to keep improving.  Because teams the caliber of Longview and Carthage await us if we get that far.  

But seeing Longview completely dominate a very good Rockwall team is eye-popping.  Carthage hasn't broken a sweat yet this season.

Anyhow.... interesting to think about.  

Happy to see the team progress and make some positive things happen. 

6 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I'll get all the historical stuff and stats posted soon.

HUGE game for both teams.  Still a must win Rivalry game....of course. 

Both have struggled at times this season......

BUT Marshall's lumps have come against 3 teams (Tyler Lee, Longview, Carthage) that are a combined (13-1) on the season..... two of them 6A.

Hallsville's meanwhile has entertained Terrell (1-4), Kilgore (4-2), Bullard (1-3)..... 

Usually a tough game... and it's in Hallsville....  

Who you got?

I've got Marshall.  PT put a thumping to Hallsville last night at home 32-7.  I don't think P.T. is that good but they did show up against Kilgore.  

TBH.... no one is this district is setting the world on fire right now.

Just look at who everyone has lost to....... a lot of 4A Div II schools.

Nac and Marshall stepped up to 6A and played Lee close.  Both losses.  Both got blown out Vs. Lufkin and Longview.

Not one quality win in the bunch.  

No one can brag about much of anything right now.

I agree. He’s gotta find his groove at QB. He might be just as mobile as JJ was. But he lacks the touch right now. That could come with time.

We don’t have the luxury of looking past ANYONE.at this point.  But if we are going to improve by repetition.... Hallsville, MP, and Jax are the ones to do it.

Maybe be ready for the home stretch of Nac, WH, and  PT. 

Cant even fathom playoffs right now. One game at a time. 

Not so ready to say we will be district champions yet. If our defense doesn't come together and play like they are capable of its anyones district. To have had so many returning players on the defensive side of the ball you think they would be dominating on that side of the ball. Right now they look like they have hardly played together. Lindale didn't run that many different plays but we couldn't stop them. Granted their running back is a bull at 6-1 and 202 lb. but very few times did we hold him under 5 yards. Maybe bad defensive play calling, not sure but to win district they have got to go 100% on every play. Lindale only had 4 returners on offense. I must say the offense has started to gel. As a hold the entire team needs to stop with all the penalties, at times the Mavs were Lindales best players keeping drives alive. All in all congrats on you first win at the right time! Learn from your mistakes and as always GO MAVS!

15 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

This is a Marshall Vs. Hallsville thread.

There are plenty of Lobo threads to pick from without hijacking this one.

Thanks.

So you are still telling members which threads we can read and post on.....? Smh. 

Ohhh I forgot that only applies to Lobo fans. 

Congrats to the Mavs on their win!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kingwolf said:

Going to be an interesting game...looks like the Mavs have found their QB...hope they spend time developing a little note complex offense and get that defense pulled together...really think they can surprise a few in the playoffs....

Agree.  They will need a little precision in the passing game in the playoffs to compete with the teams that may concentrate on stopping the run.  The remaining district games is the perfect opportunity.

4 hours ago, jbabi86 said:

So you are still telling members which threads we can read and post on.....? Smh. 

Ohhh I forgot that only applies to Lobo fans. 

Congrats to the Mavs on their win!

I have no problem with anyone...including Lobo fans.... commenting on any thread.  But morphing the thread into "how great and mighty the Lobos are" thread is unnecessary because there are already 2-3 active threads with that topic on this board on any day.

There were about 15 posts on this thread (that were deleted) about Longview.... not Hallsville or Marshall or Hallsville Vs. Marshall.

Not sure why my comment about keeping the thread about Marshall Vs. Hallsville and not Longview is a hard thing to comprehend.  

I simply asked FootballFan to stay on topic.  

3 hours ago, jbabi86 said:

Agree.  They will need a little precision in the passing game in the playoffs to compete with the teams that may concentrate on stopping the run.  The remaining district games is the perfect opportunity.

Now...back to football.

I Agree too.

Savion IMHO is better at tucking and running the ball than JJ was.  But Savion doesn't have the touch that JJ had.  I don't think he can read the defense like JJ did eiher.  He may never get that.... but I think he can greatly improve esp with Hallsville, MP, and Jax coming up in the next 3 weeks.  Not a knock on any of them..... 

The schedule ends with the playoff favorites of Nac, WH, and PT.  Hopefully we will be firing on all cylinders by then. 

The long passes downfield Friday night were just a tad off on their timing.  I suspect it will get better with more reps letting the offense get more diverse.

My biggest concern right now our defense.  Very inconsistent right now, which is odd considering it was supposed to be the strength of our team.   They had some HUGE stops Vs. Lindale Friday night.  The INT late in the 4th sealed the game.  But they are bending a lot between the 20's.

Hallsville's Opponents:
Terrell (5A-D2)- WIN 33-21-   Terrell is (1-4)
Kilgore (4A-D1) LOSS 48-24-   Kilgore is (3-2)
Bullard (4A-D2) WIN 16-13-   Bullard is (1-3)
Pine Tree* LOSS 32-7-   Pine Tree is (2-2)
Overall Opp Record: (7-11)

I guess what I notice first is that some of their close wins are against teams that are struggling.  But their biggest blowout loss is to a Kilgore team that just lost to Pittsburgh.  Hard to gauge where this Bobcat team is right now.  

Marshall's Opponents:
Tyler Lee (6A)- LOSS 27-20-   Tyler Lee is (4-1)
Longview (6A)- LOSS 53-0-   Longview is (5-0)
Carthage (4A-D1) LOSS 38-6- Carthage is (4-0)
Lindale* WIN 49-35- Lindale is (2-2)
Overall Opp Record: (15-3)

Admittedly.....I was very disappointed and less than thrilled with the 7 point loss to Lee.  BUT.... the Red Raiders have proven to be no slouch.  Remains to be seen if they are a playoff team in their tough 6A district.....but no doubt, they are a much improved Lee team from the last couple of years.  

The non-competitive losses to Longview and Carthage just have to be chalked up to a team playing in waters too deep for them.  Period.  No reason to mince words about it.  They are both clearly at a level we are not.

The next three weeks IMHO will chart the course for the rest of the season.  If we emerge with a (4-3) record... then the end of the season could be a fun one to take in.  Less than that could see an early basketball season.

Very interested in seeing how the Nac/Lindale game goes this week.  I'm picking Nac.... but if Lindale gets the win..... this could be a crazy end to the race.  But I suspect some district title showdowns with Nac, Marshall, WH, and PT in the coming weeks.

Marshall is (10-1) at Maverick Stadium Vs. Hallsville.  The lone home loss was in 2012

Marshall is (4-4) at Bobcat Stadium Vs. Hallsville.

Eight of the 19 games have been decided by 10 points or less (7 of them by 7 or less)

The last four have been decided by an average of 34.2 points in favor of Marshall.

The largest margin of victory for Marshall was 44 in 2017 (58-14).

The smallest margin of victory for Marshall was 5 points in 2009 (38-33)

The largest margin for victory for Hallsville was 31 points in 2003 (40-9).

The smallest margin for victory for Hallsville was 2 points in 2014 (21-19).