2019 - 2020 Coaching Changes

Valhalla

47 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Stoops to Tallahassee? 

Norvell will be the top guy they make a LEGIT push for...

would Chris Petersen (Washington), Matt Rhule (Baylor), Matt Campbell (Iowa State) or Kyle Whittingham (Utah) make a jump to the Seminoles? more money and possibly opportunity. some have near $20M buyouts, but negotiations would probably be simple.

these would be my first calls aside from Mike Norvell (Memphis)...

don't see Bob Stoops or Urban Meyer coming out of retirement for this or Arkansas.

if Arkansas was in the Big 12, this would be a sought after job...because there would be a chance to turn it around and win from year to year.

think of Herm Edwards or Josh Heupel at FSU...if Sumlin wasn't terrible again at Arizona then he'd probably love it there.

Bob Stoops is definitely more "old school"...like Urban Meyer...not the kinder, gentler, kum ba yah, Lil Wayne, Tupac listening, open office door, hang by the pool w/ the co-ed's coach.

BUT...if he was down for it...I have no doubt they could win still and recruit successfully because they would make great staff choices and that's one of the keys. it's that hard work done behind the scenes that makes or breaks things. can't be lax and yucking it up 100% of the time w/ no discipline & succeed. 

I just look at the issues Taggart had with his staff --> legal troubles...that's your leadership right there. it all comes from the top...tough to lock it down and say "tow the line boys" when your coaches are a drunk, whoring, domestic disturbance waiting to happen!

26 minutes ago, AKA said:

Would be a major blunder on his part, and Florida State's part. 

I love Bob, but he just doesn't have *it* anymore. 

He's still a solid coach. He'll be surrounded by talent in Florida, and he won't be nearly as bad as Taggart. Now, was he worth paying Taggart all that buyout money to get? I don't know. 

2 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

Bob Stoops is definitely more "old school"...like Urban Meyer...not the kinder, gentler, kum ba yah, Lil Wayne, Tupac listening, open office door, hang by the pool w/ the co-ed's coach.

BUT...if he was down for it...I have no doubt they could win still and recruit successfully because they would make great staff choices and that's one of the keys. it's that hard work done behind the scenes that makes or breaks things. can't be lax and yucking it up 100% of the time w/ no discipline & succeed. 

I just look at the issues Taggart had with his staff --> legal troubles...that's your leadership right there. it all comes from the top...tough to lock it down and say "tow the line boys" when your coaches are a drunk, whoring, domestic disturbance waiting to happen!

Stoops would be a band-aid.  He would retire in another 4-5 years.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Stoops would be a band-aid.  He would retire in another 4-5 years.

Yeah, at most...  to be frank, when he was still at OU many of us wondered if he had another 4-5 years in him. 

I just don't see it. 

I'm dying laughing...despite Herbstreit talking to Stoops and him saying "I'm not a candidate!"...the FSU AD just comes out in response to these reports saying "Bob Stoops is our #1 candidate...he's who we're targeting."

Why can't these people just shut up and do their work behind the scenes? They'll only damage their job and further damage the tarnished perception of their school/athletic department.

https://mobile.twitter.com/inside_fsu/status/1192118650741899266?ref_url=http%3a%2f%2ftexags.com%2fforums%2f5%2ftopics%2f3073853 doesn't sound legit but if you are going to dream might as well go big

#BREAKING: Source closely involved in the #FSU coaching search process tells me their call with Jimmy Sexton on the Saban buyout “went much better than anyone expected” and that the attitude in the building is now that “Saban is the most likely next coach for the noles”
10:36 AM · Nov 6,

18 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/inside_fsu/status/1192118650741899266?ref_url=http%3a%2f%2ftexags.com%2fforums%2f5%2ftopics%2f3073853 doesn't sound legit but if you are going to dream might as well go big

#BREAKING: Source closely involved in the #FSU coaching search process tells me their call with Jimmy Sexton on the Saban buyout “went much better than anyone expected” and that the attitude in the building is now that “Saban is the most likely next coach for the noles”
10:36 AM · Nov 6,

Lol, rrrrright. Only Saban? Why not aim even higher...  Belicheck or, dare I say it: Kerry Strong. Perhaps get Mike Thomas as a coordinator. 

• LOL! 5

4 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

Wow, the other day I nearly wrote out that FSU was about to totally go into Tennessee land with this hire. I said, just shut up and do your work behind the scenes and do no further harm to the reputation of your program(s). Think back to when Charlie the Chocolate Factory Strong got hired at Texas and the Horns went in a similar manner...naming off every "move", call and email they made to somebody...which made a prestigious job turn into a terrible joke for a time and led to a drastically bad hire. In life and business, you don't have to share everything that's rambling through your head...many people do that just because "they like to hear their head rattle".

Neon is about Neon...this idea alone damages the Noles! Being a so-so to average at best HS, private school coach wouldn't make him have the grind it out work ethic to recruit long hours and do anything more than prance around -> rubbing his own butt. He will not have a clue how to react when players aren't on their knees worshiping him...he's just that loud mouthed guy from TV.  

1 hour ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

Wow, the other day I nearly wrote out that FSU was about to totally go into Tennessee land with this hire. I said, just shut up and do your work behind the scenes and do no further harm to the reputation of your program(s). Think back to when Charlie the Chocolate Factory Strong got hired at Texas and the Horns went in a similar manner...naming off every "move", call and email they made to somebody...which made a prestigious job turn into a terrible joke for a time and led to a drastically bad hire. In life and business, you don't have to share everything that's rambling through your head...many people do that just because "they like to hear their head rattle".

Neon is about Neon...this idea alone damages the Noles! Being a so-so to average at best HS, private school coach wouldn't make him have the grind it out work ethic to recruit long hours and do anything more than prance around -> rubbing his own butt. He will not have a clue how to react when players aren't on their knees worshiping him...he's just that loud mouthed guy from TV.  

I agree he could definitely recruit but lacks the expierence and pedigree for a big program like that. On the other hand he isn't any worse or better than who you just fired. I don't believe he is a serious candidate.( Think Tennessee) peyten manning and john gruden) . 

22 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

I agree he could definitely recruit but lacks the expierence and pedigree for a big program like that. On the other hand he isn't any worse or better than who you just fired. I don't believe he is a serious candidate.( Think Tennessee) peyten manning and john gruden) . 

I don't for a second think he could do the hard work that is recruiting...being willing to work 16 plus hour days (constantly)...especially to re-build that FSU program.

And to say he can't do worse that Taggart...bull...if you thought he was lax and undisciplined...Neon Deion would be the ultimate in undisciplined. It would be 99.9% hard knocks tv Noles all the time...his head would be on a swivel looking for tv cameras to act like he was somebody!

He'd make Taggart look like Chuck Noll.