2019 - 2020 Coaching Changes

Valhalla

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

wow... did they have another really bad signing day 1?  I thought he had them on the upswing after a bad year this year.

46 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

wow... did they have another really bad signing day 1?  I thought he had them on the upswing after a bad year this year.

I think the Kiffen hire at Ole Miss had a lot to do with this. I could be wrong, but there is a LOT of buzz in Oxford right now. I think Miss St feels like they need to keep ahead of the game, but I don't see any splash hires sitting out there. 

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

They had to do something because of Ole Miss getting a lot better. You gotta keep up with your state rival . 

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I think the Kiffen hire at Ole Miss had a lot to do with this. I could be wrong, but there is a LOT of buzz in Oxford right now. I think Miss St feels like they need to keep ahead of the game, but I don't see any splash hires sitting out there. 

Agree def the reason

• Stinks 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Exactly... who can you pay that would be a splash hire?  If you can find a Herm Edwards that can coach and motivate, then there’s your guy who would be great at Ms St...  but who else is there to even consider?

3 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Seriously though, Kiffen won’t do anything more than Freeze did.  The guy you just fired was literally Dan Mullen 2.0.  Which is the most you can ask for in that state imo

Mullen is a good coach and one more games in first two years than Spurrier and Meyer did. I would consider that a compliment . Right now Ole miss is trending upward and has some good experience on the staff. The potential is very high if you believe the hype.

• Stinks 1

47 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Moorhead didn't get any favors when his middle linebacker knocked his QB out of the bowl game with a right hook...

That showed a lack of team discipline that I’m guessing the powers that be at MSU weren’t willing to tolerate. I’m curious to see who they hire. 

Like I've said elsewhere: these kinds of impulsive firings only make sense a.) if you've already got an "ideal" candidate waiting in the wings due to the good ol' boy network, or 2.) there's a big name splash hire available you plan to money-whip. 

Most of the time neither is the case, so programs end up settling for someone no better than the guy they just fired, which only puts their program further behind.  

Has there ever been a case where a program fired someone who was adequate (but not great), then hired some no-name who turned out awesome? 

I, for one, don't understand why so many have put Matt Rhule on such a high pedestal. Did he improve Baylor's overall record, of course. But against whom? We all know that overall, the B12 was awful this year. He had 4 wins in 3 seasons against teams with a winning record...the best being 8-5. Did he increase excitement at Baylor again? Sure. I'm just not sure that's all it would take for me to hire him to lead my NFL team. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I, for one, don't understand why so many have put Matt Rhule on such a high pedestal. Did he improve Baylor's overall record, of course. But against whom? We all know that overall, the B12 was awful this year. He had 4 wins in 3 seasons against teams with a winning record...the best being 8-5. Did he increase excitement at Baylor again? Sure. I'm just not sure that's all it would take for me to hire him to lead my NFL team. 

I really don’t understand the love either for him. Probably a solid mid tier college program coach but NFL level? That’s a stretch. All I’ve seen on the internets about him is how he’s a culture changer, a team builder. Guess we’ll see how that translates in the NFL.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

4 hours ago, Stoney said:

I really don’t understand the love either for him. Probably a solid mid tier college program coach but NFL level? That’s a stretch. All I’ve seen on the internets about him is how he’s a culture changer, a team builder. Guess we’ll see how that translates in the NFL.

Playing devil's advocate, I think it's because of 1.) how quick Baylor turned it around, 2.) how closely they played the "big boys" of the conference, 3.) while Baylor's recruiting didn't necessarily set the world on fire, Rhule developed the kids he had, which resulted in 1.) and 2.) which is something that not everyone in the Big XII can claim. 

But yeah, not sure how his short-term success is seen as a sure bet in the NFL. There have been many far more accomplished college coaches who never did squat in the NFL. 

• Like 1