Tarleton State Joining FCS

Stoney

6 hours ago, WETSU said:

I forgot that powerhouse rice team on the schedule makes Texas st look like a jv team 🙄

Wet, he's referring to the FCS schools you are scheduling. Lamar, Mcneese state,  SFA, Abilene Christian, etc.. Texas State and Rice are FBS programs. Yes, Texas State and Rice make those programs look like JV. 

7 hours ago, WETSU said:

I forgot that powerhouse rice team on the schedule makes Texas st look like a jv team 🙄

Meh... Texas and Rice have a long tradition of playing one another. We usually beat them at football, and their band pokes fun at us during halftime. A good time had by all. I'd say it's a safe bet the Aggies will have Tarleton on their schedule within five years of Tarleton moving up divisions. 

21 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Meh... Texas and Rice have a long tradition of playing one another. We usually beat them at football, and their band pokes fun at us during halftime. A good time had by all. I'd say it's a safe bet the Aggies will have Tarleton on their schedule within five years of Tarleton moving up divisions. 

Holy crud what happened to the Rice band? Talk about a numbers drop off. Allen High School has more kids on the field than Rice did against UT.

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Holy crud what happened to the Rice band? Talk about a numbers drop off. Allen High School has more kids on the field than Rice did against UT.

Rice's band has always been pretty small from what I can remember. I love their jabs at halftime. I remember when they formed the "IX"  against Baylor for Title 9 when all of the allegations were coming out 😂

Ok...here's the way I'm understanding this information. Tarleton is moving up to D1 in all sports...all sports except football will compete in the WAC? Football will be a FCS independent next year? 

If football remains in FCS after next season, I see them joining the Southland Conference soon then. The WAC is FBS an would require an extra jump up in Division. 

I would welcome Tarleton to the Southland Conference. I would gladly take them and remove 1-2 other schools from the football side of the Southland. 

27 minutes ago, TTman7 said:

Ok...here's the way I'm understanding this information. Tarleton is moving up to D1 in all sports...all sports except football will compete in the WAC? Football will be a FCS independent next year? 

If football remains in FCS after next season, I see them joining the Southland Conference soon then. The WAC is FBS an would require an extra jump up in Division. 

I would welcome Tarleton to the Southland Conference. I would gladly take them and remove 1-2 other schools from the football side of the Southland. 

I wouldn't mind saying farewell to HBU and UIW...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

Agree even President Kennedy acknowledged it and he was a Yankee. I am sorry unless you are a up and coming team or smaller program utsa ect you really have no buisness playing fcs schools as a big time D1 program. 

3 hours ago, eagle34 said:

Wet, he's referring to the FCS schools you are scheduling. Lamar, Mcneese state,  SFA, Abilene Christian, etc.. Texas State and Rice are FBS programs. Yes, Texas State and Rice make those programs look like JV. 

Big time programs shouldn't need fcs nor should they be responsible for funding said program.

Guys...FCS is Division 1. 

Think of it like this. UIL football is split (except 6A) into #A-1 and #A-2 each with 16 districts and 2 different state champions. Then you get into basketball and it is just #A and 32 districts and 1 state champion. Same concept between NCAA Division 1. Football is FBS & FCS w/ 2 different national champions. Basketball is just Division 1 with 1 champion. 

1 minute ago, TxFight said:

Guys...FCS is Division 1. 

Think of it like this. UIL football is split (except 6A) into #A-1 and #A-2 each with 16 districts and 2 different state champions. Then you get into basketball and it is just #A and 32 districts and 1 state champion. Same concept between NCAA Division 1. Football is FBS & FCS w/ 2 different national champions. Basketball is just Division 1 with 1 champion. 

😉😜

Z5S4C8B.png

5 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

I don’t really want to get into all this again, but why does it bother Texas fans soo much that A&M played Lamar? I mean truly. A&Ms schedule is still tremendously harder this season than Texas’ so why does it bother y’all that they have Lamar on there? Also, Jimbo and the AD have both said they will continue to schedule these games because it helps out programs like Lamar. Lamar’s football probably folds without these games. As do most of the others in that division. 

2 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

Big time programs shouldn't need fcs nor should they be responsible for funding said program.

I agree it’s nobodys responsibility, but the chances of rice or Texas st beating A&M or Texas is no better than Lamar’s. There’s not much difference in scheduling fcs vs the low level fbs teams. I mean there’s truly not. And it’s not like A&M does this because they are scared to play anybody... they left the big 12 for the freaking sec west and have scheduled home and home games against Clemson and other power 5 teams... They clearly aren’t scared of competition. 

2 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

It is all about the health of the sport as a whole. FCS plays a vital cog in the collegiate football wheel. Is it as glamorous as FBS? No. Is it the same money maker? No. But it serves a role in the health of the game. It is opportunities for a ton of coaches/players/support staff that would not be there without the FCS. So it's a little bit of FBS schools taking care of the sport by playing these games.

2 hours ago, TTman7 said:

Yep...those are the ones I was thinking of too. Even though they are both playing better football lately...I'd say adios. 

IF the Southland lets them in for football only, and allows Tarleton to still participate in the WAC for other sports, I think it would be fair for SFA to look for another home in basketball and Sam in baseball...I think both schools should look into leaving the Southland anyways, but it won't happen. I do not like what it has become...

31 minutes ago, TxFight said:

It is all about the health of the sport as a whole. FCS plays a vital cog in the collegiate football wheel. Is it as glamorous as FBS? No. Is it the same money maker? No. But it serves a role in the health of the game. It is opportunities for a ton of coaches/players/support staff that would not be there without the FCS. So it's a little bit of FBS schools taking care of the sport by playing these games.

Gotya . Some conference shear away from it like the Big 10 and some refuse like the Pac. Then some take full advantage cough cough sec.

58 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I agree it’s nobodys responsibility, but the chances of rice or Texas st beating A&M or Texas is no better than Lamar’s. There’s not much difference in scheduling fcs vs the low level fbs teams. I mean there’s truly not. And it’s not like A&M does this because they are scared to play anybody... they left the big 12 for the freaking sec west and have scheduled home and home games against Clemson and other power 5 teams... They clearly aren’t scared of competition. 

I agree but seeing Sfa play A&M or Texas just doesn't do it for me. Question : How does scheduling work exactly? Most big schools host smaller schools but sometimes I see some schools go to the smaller venue. Ex Mizzou going to Wyoming Texas tech @ Texas st. Also I kinda wish college was like high school in the sense of you play here we play there next season. Scheduled return games five or ten years is kinda dumb. What stops the small school from asking . Assuming they have an appropriate. Size venue. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I don’t really want to get into all this again, but why does it bother Texas fans soo much that A&M played Lamar? I mean truly. A&Ms schedule is still tremendously harder this season than Texas’ so why does it bother y’all that they have Lamar on there? Also, Jimbo and the AD have both said they will continue to schedule these games because it helps out programs like Lamar. Lamar’s football probably folds without these games. As do most of the others in that division. 

Imagine being so obsessed that your mind immediately jumps to another school at every piece of news posted. Lmao