Tarleton State Joining FCS

Stoney

22 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

The spelling was accurate and the sentences stayed on point.  No way in hell that's Lion.

Lion Must have been a interesting fellow. I assume he was rather slow or not in good graces with everyone .( Aka Troll) I will try to proof read my posts to further avoid confusion. I can rest assure there  is nothing wrong with my cognitive skills . However, you do sound like good people so I will take your word for it.  Ps I would really would like to know about the scheduling process. 

2 hours ago, topher805 said:

IF the Southland lets them in for football only, and allows Tarleton to still participate in the WAC for other sports, I think it would be fair for SFA to look for another home in basketball and Sam in baseball...I think both schools should look into leaving the Southland anyways, but it won't happen. I do not like what it has become...

I agree. It'd be hard to make that happen. 

2 hours ago, topher805 said:

IF the Southland lets them in for football only, and allows Tarleton to still participate in the WAC for other sports, I think it would be fair for SFA to look for another home in basketball and Sam in baseball...I think both schools should look into leaving the Southland anyways, but it won't happen. I do not like what it has become...

Do you think SFA or Sam would ever do like Texas State and move up to FBS? Or is the financial side to great for that to ever happen?

5 hours ago, topher805 said:

The Southland wouldn't allow them in unless it's in all Sports. When UIW came in they all Sports had to join except Soccer is still in WAC, because Southland doesn't have that Sport.

1 hour ago, eagle34 said:

UIW? They won the Conference last year and played in the FCS playoffs. 

They aren't winning the conference this year. Their facilities are a joke. I respect what they are trying to do, but they need some time to build up their programs before being a DI program. Football caught lightning in a bottle last year. No other sport showed a pulse. 

1 hour ago, eagle34 said:

The Southland wouldn't allow them in unless it's in all Sports. When UIW came in they all Sports had to join except Soccer is still in WAC, because Southland doesn't have that Sport.

Mens soccer I'm assuming? I think Corpus has a mens team too, but the SLC doesn't sponsor it.

I have grown to dislike the way the SLC is running things. No initiative to grow or change. Perfectly happy and content being a meddling low major conference...That isnt a shot at this situation, just a frustration. I actually think Tarleton wouldn't be a bad addition.

10 hours ago, topher805 said:

They aren't winning the conference this year. Their facilities are a joke. I respect what they are trying to do, but they need some time to build up their programs before being a DI program. Football caught lightning in a bottle last year. No other sport showed a pulse. 

Not sure what you are expecting the Southland to do. They have lost North Texas, Southwest Texas and Monroe to FBS. In order to expand they either have to go get other FCS programs from different conferences (Texas Southern, Prairie View, Grambling,  etc..) or D2 schools looking to move up. They choose the latter route. HBU and UIW are the only Southland schools in major markets. You are correct the facilities at both schools are lacking currently. It's going to take some time to get those teams competitive in all Sports. Football needs another team besides Sam to have some National success. Tarleton should be a good addition but it's going to take them 5-6 years to get competitive. Commerce could possibly be another one. 

On 10/1/2019 at 9:54 AM, TTman7 said:

Ok...here's the way I'm understanding this information. Tarleton is moving up to D1 in all sports...all sports except football will compete in the WAC? Football will be a FCS independent next year? 

If football remains in FCS after next season, I see them joining the Southland Conference soon then. The WAC is FBS an would require an extra jump up in Division. 

I would welcome Tarleton to the Southland Conference. I would gladly take them and remove 1-2 other schools from the football side of the Southland. 

usually prior to making that jump to D-1 (FBS)...a school will have to show they can average 25,000-30,000 fans at home games...I can't remember which number they push. 

2 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

usually prior to making that jump to D-1 (FBS)...a school will have to show they can average 25,000-30,000 fans at home games...I can't remember which number they push. 

2 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

just looked...it's now dropped to avg 15,000 over a rolling 2 year period...which is dramatically lower than when North Texas was trying to move BACK up 

must sponsor at least 16 varsity sports, 8 of which are womens...

So they ARE trying to eventually move up to FBS in football? Just taking the required path through FCS? 

21 hours ago, Stoney said:

Do you think SFA or Sam would ever do like Texas State and move up to FBS? Or is the financial side to great for that to ever happen?

Neither have the facilities, fan support, or finances to make it work.

When good, SFA has solid fan support that could get them close, and the Coliseum + basketball program are above average for a mid-major, but that is all they have going for them. Homer Bryce would need massive renovations. Women's soccer would need legit facilities. Baseball...Baseball need a complete makeover.

Sam doesn't have the fan support one would expect from a program that has done as well as theirs. Bowers would need massive renovations like Home Bryce. Baseball and their facilities are above average, but like SFA, they aren't there yet. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eagle34 said:

Not sure what you are expecting the Southland to do. They have lost North Texas, Southwest Texas and Monroe to FBS. In order to expand they either have to go get other FCS programs from different conferences (Texas Southern, Prairie View, Grambling,  etc..) or D2 schools looking to move up. They choose the latter route. HBU and UIW are the only Southland schools in major markets. You are correct the facilities at both schools are lacking currently. It's going to take some time to get those teams competitive in all Sports. Football needs another team besides Sam to have some National success. Tarleton should be a good addition but it's going to take them 5-6 years to get competitive. Commerce could possibly be another one. 

This has kind of stuck out to me. I'm not sure what else they could do. I do feel like adding HBU and UIW were done just to make a move and stay relevant. They had already lost Texas State, UTSA, and UTA in recent years, and didn't want to lose anyone else. I agree for football purposes, other schools need to improve, especially with McNeese falling off the face of the earth. Nicholls is getting there, but lets see what staying power they will have when this class graduates. Central Arkansas hasn't been the same the past couple of years. 

Of the two schools I do think UIW shows more promise. The Benson family has dropped a lot of money there to help improve facilities, and they are becoming more competitive. HBU isn't getting better facilities. Basketball was supposed to be their strong suit and it is falling apart. They were not ready for this type of move and shouldn't have been given the invite. Tarleton could be a good addition one day, but they don't seem like FCS is what they want. Texas Southern was rumored to be looking for a new home outside of the SWAC, but not sure they would shift over to the Southland. I think I would almost consider West Texas A&M before Commerce. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

Where are you getting that Tarleton wants to move to FBS. I think you are mistaken. They are going to jump up to FCS not FBS. 

16 hours ago, eagle34 said:

Where are you getting that Tarleton wants to move to FBS. I think you are mistaken. They are going to jump up to FCS not FBS. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/2019/09/30/stephenville-s-tarleton-state-accepts-invite-to-division-i-will-join-western-athletic-conference/

here is just one of the many articles on the move. they are looking at being an FCS Independent for 1-year then make the next jump to the WAC and FBS. 

34 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/2019/09/30/stephenville-s-tarleton-state-accepts-invite-to-division-i-will-join-western-athletic-conference/

here is just one of the many articles on the move. they are looking at being an FCS Independent for 1-year then make the next jump to the WAC and FBS. 

What FBS conference would they be joining? The WAC doesn't sponsor football anymore. Men's sports include: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Swimming & Diving, Tennis, Indoor Track & Field, Outdoor Track & Field

35 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

Coach, The WAC doesn't compete in football anymore. They will have to play as an FCS independent for 1 year before the SLC can offer them membership. It takes 3 years in FCS before they can be a full member of the Southland Conference 

1 minute ago, topher805 said:

What FBS conference would they be joining? The WAC doesn't sponsor football anymore. Men's sports include: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Swimming & Diving, Tennis, Indoor Track & Field, Outdoor Track & Field

I think I was typing the same time you were. Lol. I believe they will be in the Southland after the FCS grace period.