Tarleton State Joining FCS

Stoney

I didn't write the article...you asked a ? and I provided one of the many links. Their athletic SID/web has been reporting it, as has their current conference.

For all we know, the WAC may be looking to re-sponsor football and make some changes...or during this FCS year, they may hope to move into another gig that already has the football infrastructure. May actually shoot for MWC...I would think they'd try to go where UTEP is or if they could in any way get pulled in by AAC with Houston, Rice, SMU, etc. 

There's no telling what all will happen with the upcoming NCAA changes.

On 10/3/2019 at 9:47 AM, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I didn't write the article...you asked a ? and I provided one of the many links. Their athletic SID/web has been reporting it, as has their current conference.

For all we know, the WAC may be looking to re-sponsor football and make some changes...or during this FCS year, they may hope to move into another gig that already has the football infrastructure. May actually shoot for MWC...I would think they'd try to go where UTEP is or if they could in any way get pulled in by AAC with Houston, Rice, SMU, etc. 

There's no telling what all will happen with the upcoming NCAA changes.

No way in heck Coach. They are hoping to get a Southland bid. They have to be an FCS  independent for a couple of years before the Conference will allow them in. The WAC is for the other sports so they have games to play (behind Independent in the other Sports would be tough to schedule games). You've been around enough to know that nobody goes from D2 to FBS. Come on man.....

hey, I know it's not anything they can do...I'm not understanding why the article was floated out there when the attendance isn't even reaching the 2 year minimums as of yet...of course they could be floating it in hopes of getting those #'s up average wise. I think a few schools could...though super unwise talent base and financial wise. It's one thing to get to take your shots at the big boys once or twice a year, but every game is different...you become just that rink-a-dink with lesser than everything compared to your big brothers around you that will squash you recruiting. you'll have to resort to dirty recruiting (been there done that...I admit it) just to 1/2 way compete day in day out. 

On 10/10/2019 at 10:55 AM, Coach0001 said:

I have heard that Southland said no but unconfirmed 

I would love to see them and West Texas in 

Southland could have 2 divisions 

West Texas, ACU, Tarleton, SFA SHSU UIW

Lamar, HBU, Nichols, SELA, Mcneese, Northwestern 

Makes total sense...I haven't even looked, but where is Angelo State now?

2 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

too bad they don't make that jump...with say Midwestern State...would be a nice landing spot --> of course both teams are enjoying nice success at the D2 level. a buddy is making good $ as a coach at Angelo...amazing facilities, pay, everything is top notch...

Yeah, I thought Commerce could probably make the jump as well....

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, BlahBlah said:

Tarleton State will move from Div. 2 to Division 1.    They will join the WAC.  In football they will play as an independent.  WAC will have only 3 football schools next year; Tarleton State Dixie State, and New Mexico State.  

WAC doesn't have football. FCS independent  in football.  Hopefully, they will find a Conference for football.

4 hours ago, topher805 said:

My understanding is the WAC is interested in bringing back football, but needs members

You cant go from D2 to FBS. The statement says they will be an FCS independent in football. Just like all the other Programs that hav made the jump from D2. Incarnate Word did this same thing about 5 years ago..They went FCS independent in Football and WAC in the other Sports. It sounds like the Southland hasn't extended them an offer yet. If the Southland doesn't offer they could be screwed. They would incur tons of travel costs to play in another FCS conference. 

16 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

You cant go from D2 to FBS. The statement says they will be an FCS independent in football. Just like all the other Programs that hav made the jump from D2. Incarnate Word did this same thing about 5 years ago..They went FCS independent in Football and WAC in the other Sports. It sounds like the Southland hasn't extended them an offer yet. If the Southland doesn't offer they could be screwed. They would incur tons of travel costs to play in another FCS conference. 

Would the WAC automatically be an FBS conference if they reinstated football or could they rebrand as a FCS conference?

Part of the Southland not extending is the probationary period that Tarleton has to wait before postseason eligibility. That said, I'm not sure they 100% offer down the road. I like Tarleton better than HBU, but not really a reason to grow the conference right now...

5 hours ago, eagle34 said:

My two younger sisters attend Tarleton.  Their tuition and other fees have sky rocketed they said.  Former student are glad of the promotion since they don't have to pay the increase fees.  

I understand the football will be the same level as Sam Houston St. and SFA.  The other sports the winner of conference play gets invited to the NCAA tournament.  

I think students and fans have this thing over-hyped.  They think major Div. 1 teams are going to play at Tarleton State.  That is not going to happen .  Tarleton doesn't draw 10,000 per game in football.  That is when they were winning.  .  Tarleton will play Texas A&M in 2025 at Kyle Field.  

• Like 2

My prediction is Tarleton State will join the WAC, but will jump ship the minute that the Southland Conference invites Tarleton into the conference.  

Current WAC members:  California Baptist , Seattle, New Mexico State, UT-Rio Grande Valley, Chicago State, Utah Valley, and Grand Canyon.  

UM-Kansas City and UC- Bakersfield are departing next year.

Tarleton State and Dixie State ( located in St. George Utah )  are joining next year 

4 hours ago, BlahBlah said:

My prediction is Tarleton State will join the WAC, but will jump ship the minute that the Southland Conference invites Tarleton into the conference.  

Current WAC members:  California Baptist , Seattle, New Mexico State, UT-Rio Grande Valley, Chicago State, Utah Valley, and Grand Canyon.  

UM-Kansas City and UC- Bakersfield are departing next year.

Tarleton State and Dixie State ( located in St. George Utah )  are joining next year 

I agree. A Southland invite will be the goal. I can see that happening in a couple of years. 

16 hours ago, BlahBlah said:

I think students and fans have this thing over-hyped.  They think major Div. 1 teams are going to play at Tarleton State.  That is not going to happen .  Tarleton doesn't draw 10,000 per game in football.  That is when they were winning.  .  Tarleton will play Texas A&M in 2025 at Kyle Field.  

I wish we could get big schools to come down...They can bring in some FCS powers for home-and-home series, but even the worst FBS won't roll into town. Heck, it is hard enough to get them for basketball.

Baseball on the other hand...Most Southland teams are good about pulling at least 1 P5 team onto their fields during the season. 

8 minutes ago, topher805 said:

I wish we could get big schools to come down...They can bring in some FCS powers for home-and-home series, but even the worst FBS won't roll into town. Heck, it is hard enough to get them for basketball.

Baseball on the other hand...Most Southland teams are good about pulling at least 1 P5 team onto their fields during the season. 

I never understood that. Some teams only do home games but some do home and away ect... I guess size of stadium plays a part. I remember A&M playing louisana tech in Shreveport some years back and Tech playing @ Texas St. It would be awesome seeing Texas play at Sfa lol but that is crazy and wouldn't hold enough.

3 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

I never understood that. Some teams only do home games but some do home and away ect... I guess size of stadium plays a part. I remember A&M playing louisana tech in Shreveport some years back and Tech playing @ Texas St. It would be awesome seeing Texas play at Sfa lol but that is crazy and wouldn't hold enough.

I remember A&M coming to SFA for a women's basketball game a few years back. Of course SFA was inducting Gary Blair into their Hall of Fame. Sellout crowd and all wearing maroon. 

Bama came to Nac for a men's game last year which was a pretty big deal.

As for football, I can't remember any big school playing in SFA or a neutral site. We have been bashed in Waco, College Station, Lubbock, Fort Worth, Dallas, Starkville, and Manhattan. We got a nice paycheck for those games, but it would be fun to see a team roll into town once. 

Heck, even getting Rice, UNT, or UTSA would be fun. I don't even think we have played Texas State since they moved up.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...