Tua vs Trevor

WETSU

Up until the night before the national title game last year, Tua was having one of the best seasons ever. He was looked at a s sure fire number 1 overall someday and the Alabama offense was one of the best of all time. Then the title game happens and Trevor Lawrence emerges as the golden boy of college football and might be the most hyped QB ever entering his second season. 

After 5 games for each team this year and what I saw last year, am I crazy for thinking Tua is actually the better player? I mean both are elite, but I honestly think Tua is a better QB. Any thoughts from the board? Who do you think is better and if you’re building a team who do you take? 

Trevor has the better potential and probably the better pro. As for college , Clemson isn't as good as last season. Bama offense is great but the defense isn't. I would pick Tua cause he has looked better and both have faced lackluster competition so far. Trevor wins Hesiman and we don't have a Clemson/ Bama Championship again.

24 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Question for all: Do you think being left handed negatively impacts Tua's draft stock? 

There will be some old school scouts who will knock Tua because of that. Doesn’t make sense but a lot of old style thinking doesn’t.

53 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

It's hard to pick one over the other imo. If I had to, I think Trevor Lawrence is the better player. I mean, both are tremendous. I do think Tua has a better team which obviously plays to his advantage. But I like Lawrence's arm more. 

Swap teams and I think Lawrence would have better numbers. 

2 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Trevor Lawrence seems to have digressed some this year. He has also missed open receivers more than I remember last year. I like Tua right now over Lawrence.

Agree, but would add that it doesn't seem as he's as well protected and/or he's being asked to do more this year. 

42 minutes ago, Stoney said:

There will be some old school scouts who will knock Tua because of that. Doesn’t make sense but a lot of old style thinking doesn’t.

My thoughts as well. I don't think there are any lefties in the league right now. That'll be interesting to see if that has any impact on him.

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

Question for all: Do you think being left handed negatively impacts Tua's draft stock? 

I think it could, but I also think there are some coaches out there that could use it to their advantage playcalling wise. Plus Tua seems to have pretty good pocket awareness, so you might could even get by with leaving your Oline the same rather than having to switch around tackles. 

1 minute ago, WETSU said:

I think it could, but I also think there are some coaches out there that could use it to their advantage playcalling wise. Plus Tua seems to have pretty good pocket awareness, so you might could even get by with leaving your Oline the same rather than having to switch around tackles. 

I also think about receivers. Most aren't used to catching passes from a left hander. That's probably not that big of an issue, if any, but I do think that can be a small factor. 

Just now, ETXfan16 said:

I also think about receivers. Most aren't used to catching passes from a left hander. That's probably not that big of an issue, if any, but I do think that can be a small factor. 

That is true.

31 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

My thoughts as well. I don't think there are any lefties in the league right now. That'll be interesting to see if that has any impact on him.

It took Doug Williams, Randall Cunningham to open the eyes of scouts that color didn’t matter when it came to QB. How many 6-5 giants were drafted in the top 10 but couldn’t play? Drew Brees, Russell Wilson have shown that height doesn’t matter when it comes to QB play. Look at Ken Stabler and Mark Brunell. Lefty’s can play QB. You just have to open your thinking. 

19 minutes ago, Stoney said:

It took Doug Williams, Randall Cunningham to open the eyes of scouts that color didn’t matter when it came to QB. How many 6-5 giants were drafted in the top 10 but couldn’t play? Drew Brees, Russell Wilson have shown that height doesn’t matter when it comes to QB play. Look at Ken Stabler and Mark Brunell. Lefty’s can play QB. You just have to open your thinking. 

+1

22 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Oh sure lefty’s can play, Steve Young was great, but if I’m a GM and I get one shot at picking my franchise QB, I’ll take the odds with the righty. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Stoney said:

I don't doubt lefties can play qb. I mean look at Boomer Esiason, Matt Leinert, Vick, Ken Stabler.. I just wonder if there are certain scouts, coaches, GM's, whoever, who don't want a lefty qb. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

I don't doubt lefties can play qb. I mean look at Boomer Esiason, Matt Leinert, Vick, Ken Stabler.. I just wonder if there are certain scouts, coaches, GM's, whoever, who don't want a lefty qb. 

Agree with this...  I think it has more to do with coaching uncomfortablity than any actual ability shortcoming on the athletes' part. 

Stabler and Young were two of the greatest QB's ever (and a strong case could be made that Young was THE best ever). He's rarely mentioned among the luminaries, but Esaiason's numbers rank him among the all-time greats as well. The same could be said for Brunell and (if not for scandal) I feel like Vick would've had an ever greater career than he did.  

I have no doubt that, if he's acquired by a team willing to develop him, that Tua will make an excellent pro quarterback.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Does anyone remember Jim Zorn?

Yes! Could've been the heir apparent to Roger the Dodger if Dallas had held onto him instead of Danny White. Can't really blame the Cowboys. They got Preston Pearson outta the deal.

But yeah, Zorn was awesome. If not for injuries and the fact that new coach Chuck Knox didn't like his fast and loose style (preferred "game manager" Dave Krieg) Zorn would be someone more often in the conversation. 

• Like 1