WEEK 7: Paris(4-2) at Celina(4-2)

regaleagle

52 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

What about food at the stadium d0tc0m?  What does Celina offer at the concessions or around the area if I want to get there early and beat that traffic off of 380 in rush hour Friday traffic???    I think the game kicks off at 7 pm.......not 7:30 pm.

I was under the assumption that all district games have been moved to 7:30 start times to allow for bands to arrive in time.  The Celina HS website shows a 7:30 start

4 hours ago, regaleagle said:

What about food at the stadium d0tc0m?  What does Celina offer at the concessions or around the area if I want to get there early and beat that traffic off of 380 in rush hour Friday traffic???    I think the game kicks off at 7 pm.......not 7:30 pm.

Concessions are pretty typical, although I'd be a bad judge of that, as I just don't get much from the concession stand anymore.

But Celina has added plenty of good food options over the years. If you're feeling some BBQ, the Torii Hunter owned Tinder Smokehouse is right off of Pecan Street, the main road through Celina. It's right off the square. It's a small little establishment, and it's kind of an odd setup. If you go there, make sure you go in and tell them you want to put your name on the list to be seated. This is not blatantly obvious, and you'll stand in line to place your order and then you'll get to the front and they'll tell you that you can't order until they have a table for you. Very very odd setup, and I hope they get that fixed soon. But it's fantastic bbq. The brisket is delicious.

There are also some Mexican food options on the square, as well as a few little sandwich shops. We also have a decent pizza place right off of Preston Road, along with a Dickey's BBQ and a few other chain restaurants. Just know that most everything you go to will be pretty crowded, especially with such a big game.

Also, Regal, and for all you Paris fans coming to the game: Make sure you give yourself some leeway in getting parked. Parking is lightyears better than it was for the old Bobcat Stadium, and for those of you that came to games over the years, you'll know exactly what I mean.

But be aware, if the visitor lot is full, they'll send you to the home side, and it'll be a bit of a walk to get back over to the visitor's entrance. If you're sitting on the home side, you'll experience the same thing. Finding a parking spot is easy, but you will have a bit of a trek from the HS to the stadium. Just a little thing, I know, but if you're like me, you need a good 15-20 minutes to let the anxiety of trying to get to the stadium subside before kickoff lol!

Some very good thoughts already shared on this matchup and I'll share mine. I said on another thread that I never drank the Paris blue Kool-Aid that so many did last year, but I think they were overall better in 2018 then in 2019. They seem less physical and smaller on D this year and the OL doesn't seem as cohesive. I really liked their QB last year and he made some nice clutch throws and played smart.

Hohenberger doesn't impress me much but he is soph and a coaches son so surely he'll keep improving. I think he completed a total 5 passes in last 2 games, and seemed to be rattled, talking junk, and in some pushing and shoving matches in the 2nd half against Melissa. I can't say enough good things about the Paris RBs. Williams and Jackson are as good as any 1-2 backfield tandem in 4A. They are both lightning quick and a threat to break a long run anytime. Paris also has a nice weapon at kicker. He seems to have range from at least 45 and that could be key in a close game on a windy night.

Haven't seen Celina yet this year but they seem better than last year and likely will be fired up at home after the beating from Paris last year. The 2 Logans are among the best players in 7-4AD1 and IMO they will help keep this game close. The real head scratcher to me in Celina's results is the 16-14 loss to Frisco Memorial. Maybe it was just the first game jitters for Celina but Memorial is not good and will likely finish 1-9 or 2-8 at best.

Matt Stepp said he thinks this one will be decided in final 5 minutes and has Paris by 6. I'm thinking won't be quite that close. I've got Paris winning 31-20. If Celina can limit the RBs and force Paris to throw they have a good chance to win.

17 minutes ago, stevosev7 said:

Accommodation for visiting coaches is very, very poor for a $25 million dollar stadium (no, I am not a coach), but coaches had to clean the windows of the visitor press box themselves, they were so dirty.  Radio also in the same room with coaches.  

Need the space for VIPs. Duh

Celina 21

Paris 0

HALF

Bobcats didn’t attempt a single pass in the first half. Dominating the Wildcats on both the offensive and defensive lines. Celina must absolutely keep the foot on the gas in the second half, because the Wildcats are still capable of turning this thing around.

11 minutes ago, stevosev7 said:

I wouldn’t say Celina’s OL is dominating Paris so much as Paris is scared to tackle 4.  Several times they’ve been in position and just whiffed. 

Agree to disagree. And Point is known to break a tackle or two.

I left at halftime with the score 21-0 Celina......I was freezing my butt off up there and the Wildcat offense couldn't get to first base against that Celina D.  Celina was blitzing and bringing the house every play against the Paris running attack......no reason to play the pass.....esp. against a strong wind.  Paris simply did not have enough blockers for all the defensive guys attacking each play.

Paris does not have a passing attack to keep a defense honest and on their heels.  They are just too one-dimensional with no passing threat at all.......too easy to load up on.  Maybe Paris can create a seam and break one here and there,  but without a threat of throwing it that's just not good enough against a decent defense.  Celina hasn't passed much either, but they got the lead and really don't need to yet.......not until the score gets closer.

The Paris Wildcat team we played last year in Argyle was a much better looking and better executing team offensively than what I saw in one half tonight.  And their defense is not as intimidating either as last season's team, IMO.  But I only saw a half against Celina in a windy condition.......I'm sure Paris has played better than they did in the first half tonight.

What a game plan, perfectly executed by Celina, offensively and defensively. I was very, very proud of the Bobcats after that win. A complete and utter domination from start to finish. Paris really hurt not having Jackson, and I think the Wildcats would not have been shutout if he'd been in the game. BUT, I also think Celina would have scored even more points if our stud Martinez had been playing as well. And Jackson, or no Jackson, I think the Bobcats would have won last night.

The offense did whatever they wanted last night ... which was RUN the football. Lined up in full-house backfield, unbalanced line, double-tight, over and over and Paris just had no answer whatsoever for it. That relentless pounding took its toll on the Wildcats defensive line, because they were gassed by midway through the second quarter.

Defensively, I could not have been more proud of the Bobcats. Our defensive line played very disciplined. The stand-up ends set the edge very well, and our linebackers and secondary flowed to the ball and brought the hats when they arrived. The secondary blanketed Paris's big-tall receivers on the rare passing attempts, and even when the QB had time to throw, he had nowhere to throw it to. The relentless in-your-face pressure by the defensive very clearly made Paris uncomfortable. Lots of false start penalties. Lots of penalties by both teams, actually. But anyway, an overall fantastic effort by the Bobcats.

That said, I hope Paris doesn't let this deflate them too much, because I still think they've got a good team, especially if Jackson is on the field. The Wildcats are still physical, they're still athletic, they're still very fast, they still can run with just about any team they come up against. And honestly, I was pretty impressed with the sophomore QB. Wildcats have a bright future with him, I think. Poor kid HAD to throw the ball last night, but he just had no one to throw it to and no time to throw it all night, but he kept a pretty level head, even under pressure, and didn't make too many mistakes. He didn't throw any picks and did a good job of stepping up into the pocket to buy some extra time, and then picking his way through traffic when he knew he could pick up positive yards with his feet.

Keep your heads up, Wildcats, because you've still got a big-time matchup against Argyle, and you've still got a chance to make a lot of noise in the postseason, I guarantee you that!

And Go Bobcats! Time to let this one go and move on to Melissa, because that's going to be a big-time game. The Cardinals have it all clicking, and that's going to be a tough, tough matchup for the Bobcats.

What I saw was a team without any chemistry and team cohesion against a Celina team that came in WITH team chemistry and lots of desire.  You could see it in the warm ups and on the benches.  You could see it on the first series for each team and throughout the first quarter.  Celina slowly beat down the Wildcats and just took away whatever confidence they did have.  I think the game would have been totally different if Paris could have and would have worked from the shotgun early on and gave the Celina D more to look at.......it would have opened up some holes for their running backs to run through.  As it was......they stayed one  dimensional on offense 90% of their plays in the first half and could not maintain drives.  Their defense was on the field trying to stop Celina's offense most of the first half.......so they got wore out in the 2nd quarter against Celina's power run game.  Argyle will spread out both of these teams all night long and make them run and cover.......opening up the field and all kinds of holes to run it or pass it.

It wouldn't have mattered if Paris had gone into the shotgun, though. That would have done them a disservice, I think. That's not their game, and Celina would have feasted on it. I can't fault Paris for sticking with what they believed would work, because IT DID work in a big way last season. They had to think their speed and athleticism would eventually break through. Celina just wasn't going to let it happen. They contained that speed. They contained that athleticism. They weathered the storm and, like you said, completely stripped Paris of any confidence they had coming into the game.

There's no question Argyle will pose a different threat. The Eagles have given up a lot of points to athletic teams, and if Jackson is healthy, I think Paris will get some points. That said, Argyle is just a different animal and I think they win going away with it against the Wildcats.

Argyle will certainly present plenty of challenges for any team they face. I think the Bobcats may be up for the task, though. Celina will have their hands full against a stout Melissa team this week. The Cardinals will spread it out, too, and have the best dual-threat player in the district with Brendan Lewis to go along with a really good running back and a stable of good receivers. It'll take a different effort from the Bobcats defense this week, and it'll be a good preparation for that matchup with Argyle down the road.

Celina is now (3-0) in district play while Paris drops to (1-2).  Melissa and Argyle both stand at (2-0) in district play.  Still 3 undefeateds left in this district until next week when Celina plays at Melissa and Argyle plays at Paris. Argyle has yet to face any of the 3 toughest district opponents so far......it starts next week.

I'm glad I went to the game and saw that new stadium......very impressive to say the least.  Celina will play in Argyle in the final game.......so this was a chance for me to see both  teams and the stadium at the same time.  I think I saw what I wanted to see in the first half and walked away fairly confident in my Argyle Eagles. Next week's game of Celina vs Melissa will tell me more about Celina against a spread em out team w/ a senior seasoned throwing QB like Melissa and Argyle have.  Hohenberger for Paris is only a soph and it shows......even though he has the tools and is the son of the HC.  He will get there with more experience and seasoning.