Hulled Daisetta vs San Augustine

SAWolfman

Who Wins  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, trueblue82 said:

I’m pretty sure their enrollment is less than Joaquin or Shelbyville.  

True, but nearly all the kids enrolled participate in sports. Makes a big difference. Especially in football.

Before the mass exodus from SA they were about the same size as Center. Put those families back in the school system and they would be a 3a D1 or 4a D2 but the sports participation wouldn't change much.

Tenaha enjoyed the same advantage in D2 for a long time.

7 minutes ago, ProdigyMaker said:

True, but nearly all the kids enrolled participate in sports. Makes a big difference. Especially in football.

Before the mass exodus from SA they were about the same size as Center. Put those families back in the school system and they would be a 3a D1 or 4a D2 but the sports participation wouldn't change much.

If that was the case SA would suit up more than 25 kids on varsity.  They play iron man football...almost all of the starters play both ways.  

5 minutes ago, ProdigyMaker said:

I don’t disagree with any of this, but the fact remains that our current system classifies schools basically on enrollment alone. I think that’s the fairest way to do it. There’s absolutely nothing stopping a school from increasing it’s participation number. 

12 hours ago, SAWolfman said:

SA 76-0 3 mins left in 3rd

Hey, where are all the folks that were screaming bloody murder when Refugio was scoring like this several years back?  People were even calling their coach "Coach Satan" and ESPN ran a special focusing on how unfair it was that Refugio was beating teams so bad. 

Somebody needs to rush over to SA and set things straight.  Nobody should embarrass an opponent like this.  There has to be a better way.  Their coach is insensitive.  They should play some 7th graders.  Put in the Pop Warner kids.  There's just no excuse for humiliating another team/town this bad.  SA has to understand this won't be tolerated.  Yada, yada, yada....

The above are not my thoughts, just a reminder of what some other teams have been put through for simply playing the team/game that was set in front of them.  I say keep playing hard SA.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

Hey, where are all the folks that were screaming bloody murder when Refugio was scoring like this several years back?  People were even calling their coach "Coach Satan" and ESPN ran a special focusing on how unfair it was that Refugio was beating teams so bad. 

Somebody needs to rush over to SA and set things straight.  Nobody should embarrass an opponent like this.  There has to be a better way.  Their coach is insensitive.  They should play some 7th graders.  Put in the Pop Warner kids.  There's just no excuse for humiliating another team/town this bad.  SA has to understand this won't be tolerated.  Yada, yada, yada....

The above are not my thoughts, just a reminder of what some other teams have been put through for simply playing the team/game that was set in front of them.  I say keep playing hard SA.

It would be hard to not score against hull Daisetta, I’ve seen a lot of football in 25 years and hull Daisetta is by far the worst team I have ever seen and it’s not even close.

Cant take anything away from SA. However. They have a special team. And I might be a homer. BUT I think this SA team wins region3 and finally breaks thru region4 stronghold and holds the state title. Just my opinion. They need to stay healthy. The Key. 

On 10/12/2019 at 12:07 AM, SAWolfman said:

If that was the case SA would suit up more than 25 kids on varsity.  They play iron man football...almost all of the starters play both ways.  

When I went to the SA-Tenaha game it sure looked like more than 25 kids?  There were also some of the big guys that only went one way.

Start digging into the demographics of each community and you will see real quick that SA has way more kids that play sports. 

This is no secret. I'm real good friends with one of the most prominent sports families in SA. I won't say any names but a good hint would be 3 brothers and then two of their offspring have been starting quarterbacks for them dating back to the 70's. Two of them played D1 ball. One as a QB and one as an athlete. 

We have had this discussion many times. It's TRUE. SA holds a significant advantage in this regard, but probably a significant dis- advantage in activities more suited for life after school. 

This conversation could be easily mistaken and taken in the wrong direction. Just do the research for yourself. Go to each community in SA and see what most of the kids are doing compared to most other communities in the district. 

The biggest advantage is football because with more kids participating the better chance of finding bigger kids. 

Then all the surrounding communities that don't have football have kids go to SA to play football. 

Exact scenario in Tenaha but just a smaller town.

On 10/12/2019 at 12:07 AM, trueblue82 said:

I don’t disagree with any of this, but the fact remains that our current system classifies schools basically on enrollment alone. I think that’s the fairest way to do it. There’s absolutely nothing stopping a school from increasing it’s participation number. 

Actually, there are multiple factors stopping most local small schools for increasing participation in sports. One thing is the lack of numbers in the key demographic that takes sports more seriously. Or better yet its more of a culture thing. Just go to a family reunion in the different communities and observe the activities. 

In Shelbyville it's the band. From the administration throughout 2/3rds of the communities band is at least as important as winning in football. Which I don't agree with. Winning in football can boost the whole morale of a town and school. Band doesn't really do that. 

And to take it a step further the main purpose of the band is to boost team spirit. Pretty much. The Shelbyville band rarely plays in the 2nd half and when they do it's mostly lackluster. In football towns their bands generally kick butt the whole time and at the right moments for sure. Not in Shelbyville. . Their main concern is the marching contest(s) 

Then you have the other activities like UIL, Drama Clubs, the Beta Club, one act play, etc. All wonderful activities, but those kids are typically not the ones that are out there having 2000 yard rushing seasons, or delivering life altering blows. 

The part I really don't get though is how you can produce brilliant UIL state contending teams, but can't bust out of a 1950's mindset for a football system? 

I've been a part of the  Shelbyville, Joaquin, Tenaha and Center programs over my  60 plus years on this earth and I have studied this stuff to no end. I've seen Shelbyville nose dive from Guy Harrison and actually never fully recover, watched Joaquin rise from the ashes with Gandy and be competitive every since, (despite a stubbornness toward the forward pass) witnessed Tenaha rise to national recognition all from a coach (Raymond Jackson being able to get kids and families to buy in), Chavis McCollister (Evans) was the catalyst and actually Joey Latham before him. Center is just a political mess! Starting in Jr. High if you have money you get to play key positions. And that is a fact! It's why they have had youth ball teams that look like JV only to have them dismantle by 9th grade. 

I have concluded that nothing will change much with any of this. . Small town rural areas are great places to live and raise kids, but most kids in these areas never come close to meeting their sports potential. The ones that do go on to the next level are so far behind they almost have 0 chance to be among the best. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProdigyMaker said:

Actually, there are multiple factors stopping most local small schools for increasing participation in sports. One thing is the lack of numbers in the key demographic that takes sports more seriously. Or better yet its more of a culture thing. Just go to a family reunion in the different communities and observe the activities. 

In Shelbyville it's the band. From the administration throughout 2/3rds of the communities band is at least as important as winning in football. Which I don't agree with. Winning in football can boost the whole morale of a town and school. Band doesn't really do that. 

And to take it a step further the main purpose of the band is to boost team spirit. Pretty much. The Shelbyville band rarely plays in the 2nd half and when they do it's mostly lackluster. In football towns their bands generally kick butt the whole time and at the right moments for sure. Not in Shelbyville. . Their main concern is the marching contest(s) 

Then you have the other activities like UIL, Drama Clubs, the Beta Club, one act play, etc. All wonderful activities, but those kids are typically not the ones that are out there having 2000 yard rushing seasons, or delivering life altering blows. 

The part I really don't get though is how you can produce brilliant UIL state contending teams, but can't bust out of a 1950's mindset for a football system? 

I've been a part of the  Shelbyville, Joaquin, Tenaha and Center programs over my  60 plus years on this earth and I have studied this stuff to no end. I've seen Shelbyville nose dive from Guy Harrison and actually never fully recover, watched Joaquin rise from the ashes with Gandy and be competitive every since, (despite a stubbornness toward the forward pass) witnessed Tenaha rise to national recognition all from a coach (Raymond Jackson being able to get kids and families to buy in), Chavis McCollister (Evans) was the catalyst and actually Joey Latham before him. Center is just a political mess! Starting in Jr. High if you have money you get to play key positions. And that is a fact! It's why they have had youth ball teams that look like JV only to have them dismantle by 9th grade. 

I have concluded that nothing will change much with any of this. . Small town rural areas are great places to live and raise kids, but most kids in these areas never come close to meeting their sports potential. The ones that do go on to the next level are so far behind they almost have 0 chance to be among the best. 

Thanks for making my point! The thing stopping the schools that struggle in certain sports or activities has nothing to do with how they are classified. It’s all in the local mindset and community support. In other words, if the people there really wanted to field a competitive football team, they could, just by making it a priority and spending the proper amount of money and resources, hiring a quality coaching staff, etc. We don’t need to let Texas high school football fall victim to some social engineering experiment just so certain schools “get a chance to win.” They have the same chance as the team they’re lined up against. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ProdigyMaker said:

When I went to the SA-Tenaha game it sure looked like more than 25 kids?  There were also some of the big guys that only went one way.

Start digging into the demographics of each community and you will see real quick that SA has way more kids that play sports. 

This is no secret. I'm real good friends with one of the most prominent sports families in SA. I won't say any names but a good hint would be 3 brothers and then two of their offspring have been starting quarterbacks for them dating back to the 70's. Two of them played D1 ball. One as a QB and one as an athlete. 

We have had this discussion many times. It's TRUE. SA holds a significant advantage in this regard, but probably a significant dis- advantage in activities more suited for life after school. 

This conversation could be easily mistaken and taken in the wrong direction. Just do the research for yourself. Go to each community in SA and see what most of the kids are doing compared to most other communities in the district. 

The biggest advantage is football because with more kids participating the better chance of finding bigger kids. 

Then all the surrounding communities that don't have football have kids go to SA to play football. 

One of those 3 brothers pulled his kid and went elsewhere because he wanted his kid drafted for baseball.  Pick better friends.  

2 hours ago, ProdigyMaker said:

There are no kids on that team that does not live in SA.  They aren't flocking to play football in SA.  Two kids moved back home and just so happens to play football.  

3 hours ago, ProdigyMaker said:

SA has 28 kids on Varsity.