This Day in History....

ETXfan16

yep, Georgia Tech tried to cancel the baseball game the year before for similar reasons (might of been due to illness or injuries) and Cumberland said they would make them pay, based upon contract (which I was shocked they had back then)...Ga Tech baseball coach was also the football coach...oops!!!

1 hour ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

yep, Georgia Tech tried to cancel the baseball game the year before for similar reasons (might of been due to illness or injuries) and Cumberland said they would make them pay, based upon contract (which I was shocked they had back then)...Ga Tech baseball coach was also the football coach...oops!!!

He was also the Athletic Director. 

His name was John Heisman. Cumberland had allegedly used professional ringers in  a 22-0 baseball game the year before. So the 222-0 score was likely intentional.

A few interesting tidbits about the game- 

1. Supposedly, neither team got a first down. Cumberland couldn't gain 10 yards (and resorted to punting on early downs because they were losing yards more than gaining), and Georgia Tech scored before gaining 10 yards. Play-by-play does exist of the game, but it's not complete/ 

2. Heisman, to adhere to rules, split his team into 4 platoons and promised the one which scored the most points a steak dinner. He could do that, apparently. He also made his team have a tough practice after the game. 

3. There was a point in the game where a Cumberland player fumbled the ball and yelled to his teammate, "Get it!" The teammate, tired of getting hit, said back, "You pick it up- you dropped it!" 

4. Georgia Tech only ran 29 offensive plays for 501 yards (17.3 yards per play). Cumberland finished with -28 yards. 

• Like 2
  • LOL! 2

53 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

He was also the Athletic Director.  His name was John Heisman... 

John Heezman, eh? What a funny name...  wonder whatever became of him.  😛 

1 hour ago, Champ1000 said:

Wasn't that before the forward pass was used? Impressive bet they never played again. Wouldn't go down this day and age. Folks would be crying bullying.

Cumberland went 2-18 passing in that game. 

The forward pass came to be in 1905 I think. 

There was a famous game in 1913 where Notre Dame used the forward pass to beat a mighty Army team like nobody had ever used it before. That game put Notre Dame on the map. Their leading receiver on the day? Knute Rockne. 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

There was a famous game in 1913 where Notre Dame used the forward pass to beat a mighty Army team like nobody had ever used it before. That game put Notre Dame on the map. Their leading receiver on the day? Knute Rockne. 

Awesome I love history thanks for this.

59 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Knute Rockne 😂😂 hell of a name