4a Division 1 Contenders

Champ1000

Who wins?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/06/2019 at 08:44 PM

I wanted arygyle fan to post this . Vega obviously is in the discussion as the Defending Champion . Arygle always a contender even if they don't ususally finish . Carthage in my opinion is #1. They defeated PG and Gilmer two front runners for State in D2. Sure there are teams  like  Paris , Decatur, Stephenville to a lesser extent Henderson /Van but who is your conscious pick to win state championship? 

I personally believe Carthage beats Arygle. Vega seems to be outside looking in. 

Do not believe the Regionally bias Dallas Morning News. Its all about #Beast Texas. 

4 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Gilmer a front runner in D2?

They did shut out the team that beat one of the so-called "favorites." 

I personally think they're a top 5 team. Waco Connally being ranked above PG is a joke, however. PG is still without a doubt the #1 team to beat in 4AD2. 

Just now, H3llR4z0r said:

I personally think they're a top 5 team. Waco Connally being ranked above PG is a joke, however. PG is still without a doubt the #1 team to beat in 4AD2. 

True. D2 is down as a whole compared to last couple of years IMO. After PG it’s really wide open. 

Just now, Eagleborn said:

True. D2 is down as a whole compared to last couple of years IMO. After PG it’s really wide open. 

Apparently that's 2 years in a row. PG was down last year and made it to the state championship. There was 1 player in D2 last year that was up haha. 

7 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Anyone that plays with Carthage is a contender especially in a Wide open D2.

• Like 1

Carthage, Argyle and La Vega have to be the top three in any conversation about contenders.

To start the year, I would have had Argyle at No. 1, and they still may finish that way. But I was really, really impressed with Carthage's win over PG. I honestly thought PG was the best team in 4A, period. Full stop. But the Dawgs flashed a really, really good defense to go along with that stellar offense. To me, there's nobody in Region III or IV that really has much of a puncher's chance against Carthage this year. I just don't think any of the teams in either of those regions can muster enough to knock off the Dawgs.

I think Argyle has the type of team to give Carthage fits, however. The Eagles have plenty of athleticism, discipline and coaching, and I think the fact that they spread the field more gives them a chance to make some big plays. It would be a terrific matchup, for sure. But, you'll probably be able to say that, no matter who it is matching up with Carthage in the state title game, because if it's not Argyle or La Vega, then it's a team that was good enough to knock those big boys off.

Personally......methinks Paris is the hidden gem in all of this 4A D-1 forecasting.  I too like Decatur's team, but they will have to play the Region II Champ.....which could be their undoing.  Paris needs Hohenberger at QB to really come around and catch fire in the 2nd half of this season and into the playoffs.  He has the size and tools, but not the experience at this level. LV has a really dynamic team with great personnel to win any game.  They didn't get the win against Argyle early, but that was early.  They have all the pieces to put the puzzle together.....believe me......and the coaching.  Carthage doesn't need to be concerned about who it will be that they play out of Region II.......and the team will come out of Region II.  Whoever it is.......it will be a difficult and closely contested battle regardless.  It might even be Melissa or Celina.......all the teams are not that far apart.  Right now at this moment in the season, Argyle's defense needs more fine-tuning and minutes.  So does some of the other contenders in Regions I and II.  But of the really good contenders.......any and all of them should be ready by Round 3 of the playoffs.......excepting for any season-ending injuries to key players on any of these teams. Same goes for Carthage.

11 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

Carthage, Argyle and La Vega have to be the top three in any conversation about contenders.

To start the year, I would have had Argyle at No. 1, and they still may finish that way. But I was really, really impressed with Carthage's win over PG. I honestly thought PG was the best team in 4A, period. Full stop. But the Dawgs flashed a really, really good defense to go along with that stellar offense. To me, there's nobody in Region III or IV that really has much of a puncher's chance against Carthage this year. I just don't think any of the teams in either of those regions can muster enough to knock off the Dawgs.

I think Argyle has the type of team to give Carthage fits, however. The Eagles have plenty of athleticism, discipline and coaching, and I think the fact that they spread the field more gives them a chance to make some big plays. It would be a terrific matchup, for sure. But, you'll probably be able to say that, no matter who it is matching up with Carthage in the state title game, because if it's not Argyle or La Vega, then it's a team that was good enough to knock those big boys off.

How do you start the year with the defending state champion not at #1? I mean, it's obvious now, but I've always been the type of person that can't take the #1 spot from a team that earns it, until someone beats them. 

6 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

How do you start the year with the defending state champion not at #1? I mean, it's obvious now, but I've always been the type of person that can't take the #1 spot from a team that earns it, until someone beats them. 

They did start the season as #1, but dropped down when they lost to Argyle in Week 2.  Go back to Dave Campbell's Texas Football and see for yourself.  They had Carthage vs LV for the State Championship in D-1.....with LV winning it again.

• Thanks 1
  • Stinks 1

1 minute ago, regaleagle said:

They did start the season as #1, but dropped down when they lost to Argyle in Week 2.  Go back to Dave Campbell's Texas Football and see for yourself.  They had Carthage vs LV for the State Championship in D-1.

Nah I know that. He said to start the season, I would have Argyle at #1. Just wondering why you wouldn't have the defending state champion at #1, especially a team like La Vega. 

I think Carthage has D-I... Argyle struggles on  defense & they are young.   So, I don't see them winning it.. Don't sleep on La Vega they will probably be the team to creep up on Carthage ( they are solid both ways). I still have Carthage as my top team coming out D-1. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TEXAShorn21 said:

I think Carthage has D-I... Argyle struggles on  defense & they are young.   So, I don't see them winning it.. Don't sleep on La Vega they will probably be the team to creep up on Carthage ( they are solid both ways). I still have Carthage as my top team coming out D-1. 

I feel the same way. What they did against Gilmer was good but against PG was impressive. Arygle seems to not have that finishing edge. They have some very good teams but not much to show from it. I think some are dismissing Vega cause of the loss to Arygle.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

I feel the same way. What they did against Gilmer was good but against PG was impressive. Arygle seems to not have that finishing edge. They have some very good teams but not much to show from it. I think some are dismissing Vega cause of the loss to Arygle.

Right that was an early game.. They are getting better each week.. They don't need to be dismissed..  That's one of the reasons I think everyone was so shocked they won last year. You can't underestimate them at all.