4a Division 1 Contenders

Champ1000

Who wins?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/06/2019 at 08:44 PM

42 minutes ago, coachkells said:

The winner of Region 2 will definitely be the most battle tested team in the Semi Finials.  

Yep. No doubt about that. Region I has really one, maybe two teams with a legitimate chance of making the semifinals. You just hope the Region II winner isn't beat to hell to the point that they have a hard time in the semis. That obviously wasn't the case for La Vega last year, and I doubt it'll happen this year. You just never known when you've got three (sometimes four) rounds of quality hard-nosed playoff football.

6 hours ago, cotton84 said:

Shame on Brownwood for playing good defense thru 6 games. They should know LaVega is the only one in 4A Div 1 who is supposed to play good defense 

Hold up, what? Dawgs are in 4A-D1 too??....

Now, last year our defense wasn’t what it was for n ‘17 and before and it wasn’t what it is this year. Our defense took a year off....

I remember in 2005 when Argyle had lost one non-district game, then to Prosper and Celina in district.  Argyle went D-1 that season in 2A(Celina went D-2) and ended up winning all the rest of their playoff games......losing to Newton on a cold, rainy night at Tyler Rose 28-20.  That same season Celina went undefeated 16-0 and won the 2A-D2 State Title.  My son was a junior on that Argyle squad......the first trip for Argyle to a State Final in football. But it was only their 3rd full season playing football in Argyle(and Coach Rodgers 3rd yr. also).  Newton went undefeated 14-0 that season.....they must have had a  game cancelled due to bad weather during the season and one less game scheduled in predistrict for some reason.

16 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

I remember in 2005 when Argyle had lost one non-district game, then to Prosper and Celina in district.  Argyle went D-1 that season in 2A(Celina went D-2) and ended up winning all the rest of their playoff games......losing to Newton on a cold, rainy night at Tyler Rose 28-20.  That same season Celina went undefeated 16-0 and won the 2A-D2 State Title.  My son was a junior on that Argyle squad......the first trip for Argyle to a State Final in football. But it was only their 3rd full season playing football in Argyle(and Coach Rodgers 3rd yr. also).  Newton went undefeated 14-0 that season.....they must have had a  game cancelled due to bad weather during the season and one less game scheduled in predistrict for some reason.

Well, back then, DI bracket had one less round in it, because two teams from each district went DII and one went DI.

Argyle had a very good team that year. Celina had arguably the best team they’ve ever had. Ever. And there’s been some good ones.

1 minute ago, d0tc0m said:

Well, back then, DI bracket had one less round in it, because two teams from each district went DII and one went DI.

Argyle had a very good team that year. Celina had arguably the best team they’ve ever had. Ever. And there’s been some good ones.

Yep.......that's how it was back then now that you mention it.  Celina and Prosper went D-2 while Argyle went D-1.  I looked it up and sure enough......Argyle's record ended up 11-4 for the season.......15 games instead of 16.

7 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

Hopefully a LV poster or perhaps Stepp can chime in here, but what I heard was they were suspending ALL varsity starters for the first half.

Just a half?

so there is a different standard between a winning team and losing team. 

2 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

Who have they played? Still impressive just wondering the quality.

Brock 3AD1 (4-2), Snyder 4AD2 (1-4), Graham 4AD2 (2-3),  Rider 5AD2 (2-3), Wylie 5AD2 (0-5), Grand Oak TAAPS (3-3)

Not a bad.  Still only giving up 32 point is pretty darn good. 

I don't think this is the week.

The players La Vega will have out due to the brawl with LE aren't starters. I think the Pirates handle Stephenville fairly easily.

Unless Paris has gone quickly through their identity crisis and found themselves suddenly, Argyle will name their score against them.

Carthage flashes a little more energy against CH than they did against Van last week, and, like Argyle, they name their score. It won't be super ugly, just because that's not Surratt's style, but it'll be complete dominance from start to finish.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, coachkells said:

Do the big 3 continue to roll or does one of them hit a speed bump this week?

Neither has a struggle. In theory Stephenville and Paris have been knowned as tough outs. Both have pulled off upsets in the past. Chapel Hill doesn't have the horses to compete. Van was a simi wakeup call . On one hand van was a contender and played well. Carthage didn't play its best game . In order most likely  upset .

1. Vega 

2. Arygle

3. Carthage

Who I think is the best 

1. Arygle ( Defense needs some work

2. Carthage. ( offense needs to start firing on all cylinders)

3. Vega ( Offense needs improvement)

2 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

I don't think this is the week.

The players La Vega will have out due to the brawl with LE aren't starters. I think the Pirates handle Stephenville fairly easily.

Unless Paris has gone quickly through their identity crisis and found themselves suddenly, Argyle will name their score against them.

Carthage flashes a little more energy against CH than they did against Van last week, and, like Argyle, they name their score. It won't be super ugly, just because that's not Surratt's style, but it'll be complete dominance from start to finish.

Did they end up suspending anyone for the whole game? last thing i saw hadn't mentioned what the actual suspensions would be just what the uil recommended. 

1 hour ago, txk85 said:

Did they end up suspending anyone for the whole game? last thing i saw hadn't mentioned what the actual suspensions would be just what the uil recommended. 

This is copied and pasted from a Stephenville poster in the know over on Texas Downlow:

It's public now so I can post.

La Vega has suspended 7 players for the whole game and 5 for a half game - this is in effect for this Friday's matchup @ Stephenville.
The LVISD and SISD administration know who the players are but that information cannot be released due to HIPPA laws.
Once you look and see who is/isn't on the field and figure it out though it becomes public knowledge.

Something to point out - the La Vega 2nd string defense was on the field when the altercation started.”

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2019 at 1:57 PM, coachkells said:

I was just on La Vega's Max Prep Schedule they have the Pirates scheduled to play Carthage on 12/21 at 11:30. 

And probably what will happen. Gotta be the biggest heavyweight fight if both win in the simi. No offense to Springtown and Lampasas but these two are the best in 4a.

4 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

And probably what will happen. Gotta be the biggest heavyweight fight if both win in the simi. No offense to Springtown and Lampasas but these two are the best in 4a.

Both have to win this week but if it does happen, what a stage for the rubber match.

7 minutes ago, coachkells said:

Both have to win this week but if it does happen, what a stage for the rubber match.

Well carthage is undefeated at that venue. It home away from home. I admit the two other teams are capable of an upset. Two David's vs Two Goliaths. 

• Stinks 1