Baker Mayfield

I think he's a bust like many other Browns quarterbacks starting with Tim Couch.  He should be having a breakout season with the weapons he has, but I suppose the Browns have been cursed by Art Modell.  They've made the playoffs one time in the past 20 years back in 2002.  Many had them as a Super Bowl contender this year, but I see them as a 6-10 team.  I wonder how much longer it will be until OBJ starts throwing fits.  

• Like 1

On 10/8/2019 at 10:33 AM, bordertown said:

Congrats on game last night. Couldn’t be happier for the Jerk. Bosa had a memory to settle.

I can't take the grudge of guy too seriously who loved Ohio State so much he quit in the middle of season to get ready for the NFL.

• Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1

On 10/13/2019 at 6:11 PM, Rabbs63 said:

Baker thinks he’s Peyton Manning already, by being in every other commercial you see on tv.

Agree with this in the sense that Baker is getting waaaaaaay overexposed... 

BUT if you've got companies willing to pay you big time dolla dolla bills to hawk their stupid products, would YOU turn them down?

The lifespan of pro athletes is pretty dang short, I don't blame any of them for grabbing any endorsements they can. It's all part of the game. 

3 hours ago, AKA said:

Agree with this in the sense that Baker is getting waaaaaaay overexposed... 

BUT if you've got companies willing to pay you big time dolla dolla bills to hawk their stupid products, would YOU turn them down?

The lifespan of pro athletes is pretty dang short, I don't blame any of them for grabbing any endorsements they can. It's all part of the game. 

What's funny is Johnny Manziel still has endorsement deals which is hard to believe.  I was listening to an A&M game on my way home, and low and behold here's Johnny being a spokesman for some business in College Station.  I know that's not a major level as Mayfield gets, but he's still making money off his name and career in College Station.  

• Like 1

Just now, DaveTV1 said:

What's funny is Johnny Manziel still has endorsement deals which is hard to believe.  I was listening to an A&M game on my way home, and low and behold here's Johnny being a spokesman for some business in College Station.  I know that's not a major level as Mayfield gets, but he's still making money off his name and career in College Station.  

Hey, more power to him.

If I had companies willing to pay y'all would have to tolerate seeing my obnoxious mug on every other commercial. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, ETXfan16 said:

Baker showed up to the game with a full beard, shaved before warmups in to a handlebar mustache, and then shaved again after the game before his presser to a regular mustache... Lol

Lol, yeah, he's "eccentric" to say the least, and he certainly has a lot of growing up to do. Also likes to shoot his mouth off, which is fine...  as long as you get it done on the field. His play has been inconsistent, to be sure. 

But to act as though he's a already "bust" in Year 2 of his career seems a bit...   premature, especially considering the perpetual dumpster fire that is the Cleveland franchise. 

• Like 1

With a better OL - Baker will be a very good QB.  He has the moxie and competitiveness and seems like a hard worker.  With all of those things, the immaturity will improve over time.  There are many QB's who come into the league with talent that lack work ethic - that worries me.  Baker seems like a hard worker - so he gets the benefit of the doubt for a while.

I'll be interested to see who the coach is next year and what kind of OL they put around him.  That will make all the difference...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hawks2021 said:

With a better OL - Baker will be a very good QB.  He has the moxie and competitiveness and seems like a hard worker.  With all of those things, the immaturity will improve over time.  There are many QB's who come into the league with talent that lack work ethic - that worries me.  Baker seems like a hard worker - so he gets the benefit of the doubt for a while.

I'll be interested to see who the coach is next year and what kind of OL they put around him.  That will make all the difference...

The playcalling has been abysmal, especially compared to the latter part of last year. 

Not making excuses because, yeah, Baker has made plenty of mistakes, but the playcalling has been especially terrible this season, even for Cleveland.  

On 10/8/2019 at 11:48 AM, Rabbs63 said:

Dak may not be great, but a least he is not Baker Mayfield.  

Baker has one of the...if not THE worst O-line in the NFL (so nobody to defend him...running for his life, throwing off his back leg, trying to make a play when there's nothing there, getting hit or stripped constantly) --> starting about week 4, Dak was missing 1 to 2 O-linemen from the best line in the league and he got beat by the Jets (have gotten beaten by the Dolphins, who are actively trying to throw games) and 2 other teams and looked gosh awful (throwing off his back leg, trying to make a play when there's nothing there, looking pedestrian & lost, getting hit or picked constantly) = the same actually or worse...wouldn't mind seeing Baker with this line in front of him and a non-idiot running things.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, AKA said:

The playcalling has been abysmal, especially compared to the latter part of last year. 

Not making excuses because, yeah, Baker has made plenty of mistakes, but the playcalling has been especially terrible this season, even for Cleveland.  

yes, they actually blew it not hiring Greg Williams as the head (even with him being a butt hole) and leaving what's his head as the OC only.

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2019 at 10:56 AM, AKA said:

Lol, yeah, he's "eccentric" to say the least, and he certainly has a lot of growing up to do. Also likes to shoot his mouth off, which is fine...  as long as you get it done on the field. His play has been inconsistent, to be sure. 

But to act as though he's a already "bust" in Year 2 of his career seems a bit...   premature, especially considering the perpetual dumpster fire that is the Cleveland franchise. 

I don't think he's a bust by any means. However, I do think that he's not a superstar quarterback and probably won't be in the NFL. He's a good quarterback, but I personally don't think he's somebody that will bring you championships. Just my opinion. Time will tell!

The issue I have with Baker is what you stated in your first paragraph. He mouths off too much but hasn't backed it up. I can't remember the last time I've seen a team hyped up this much in the offseason than the Browns this year. Now that's not all on Baker, but he sure didn't help their cause.

Bottom line, its the Browns. Nobody can save the brown no matter how many superstars you get. That whole organization is trash. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I don't think he's a bust by any means. However, I do think that he's not a superstar quarterback and probably won't be in the NFL. He's a good quarterback, but I personally don't think he's somebody that will bring you championships. Just my opinion. Time will tell!

The issue I have with Baker is what you stated in your first paragraph. He mouths off too much but hasn't backed it up. I can't remember the last time I've seen a team hyped up this much in the offseason than the Browns this year. Now that's not all on Baker, but he sure didn't help their cause.

Bottom line, its the Browns. Nobody can save the brown no matter how many superstars you get. That whole organization is trash. 

Yeah, if I was to put money down on how his career is gonna end up, I would make a comparison to someone like Trent Dilfer: came into the league with a lotta fanfare, but eventually fell from grace, only to finish strong by being a small cog in a stronger franchise. 

Baker will play out his contract with the Browns (and have more downs then ups), resulting in the brass cutting him loose to sign another college hotshot. Then he'll sign with a stronger franchise and salvage his career. I really think he's got enough of "the goods" to be a successful NFL quarterback, but needs far more support than Cleveland can provide. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AKA said:

Yeah, if I was to put money down on how his career is gonna end up, I would make a comparison to someone like Trent Dilfer: came into the league with a lotta fanfare, but eventually fell from grace, only to finish strong by being a small cog in a stronger franchise. 

Baker will play out his contract with the Browns (and have more downs then ups), resulting in the brass cutting him loose to sign another college hotshot. Then he'll sign with a stronger franchise and salvage his career. I really think he's got enough of "the goods" to be a successful NFL quarterback, but needs far more support than Cleveland can provide. 

Agreed 100%. The Browns are not a stable organization at all. That's why I was shocked OBJ went there. If I had to compare Baker to another QB in the league right now, I would go with Derek Carr. But it's just hard to tell how good Baker can be at this level (consistently) when he plays for the Cleveland Browns. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Rabbs63 said:

He his probably going to be a great actor someday, just not a great NFL quarterback.  Sorry if I got your panties in a wad!

No panties in a wad here. Just an observation.