Poverty areas and Football

BEARDEDGOAT

The idea that one team has an advantage over another because they get catered pasta on game day as opposed to turkey sandwiches made by their coaches gave me a chuckle. The biggest difference in schools like Travis High and Lake Travis is in coaching. The huge budget at a place like LT allows them to hire the best coaches. That’s their big advantage. I like the attitude of the coach from LBJ. He’s not trying to use his lack of resources as an excuse, and he fields a competitive team almost every year. No bellyaching from him. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

The idea that one team has an advantage over another because they get catered pasta on game day as opposed to turkey sandwiches made by their coaches gave me a chuckle. The biggest difference in schools like Travis High and Lake Travis is in coaching. The huge budget at a place like LT allows them to hire the best coaches. That’s their big advantage. I like the attitude of the coach from LBJ. He’s not trying to use his lack of resources as an excuse, and he fields a competitive team almost every year. No bellyaching from him. 

I think the biggest thing about the food is the kids from an area with more money eats better in general. They eat more meat so they fill out better. Where as some in other areas eat what they have and what the cafeteria at school serves. Those kids don’t fill out as well. 

• LOL! 1

17 minutes ago, BEARDEDGOAT said:

I think the biggest thing about the food is the kids from an area with more money eats better in general. They eat more meat so they fill out better. Where as some in other areas eat what they have and what the cafeteria at school serves. Those kids don’t fill out as well. 

I don’t know where my school ranks on the poverty scale, now or my senior year of 1990. I can tell you there have never been a lot of rich folks around here. But we ate good. During football season, my mom never had to clean out her refrigerator. It got cleaned out every Friday afternoon when 6-8 of my friends showed up. Tru storie! 

• Like 1

There are a lot of schools where a good portion of the kids get their only guaranteed meals of the day from the school..thats a disadvantage...the biggest difference for the richer schools is # of coaches, quality of coaches, facilities, and off-season..while kids in poorer schools often work in the summer...kids from more wealthy backgrounds can hire personal trainers, speed coaches, go to a ton of camps etc....

• Like 4

7 hours ago, MattStepp said:

There are a lot of schools where a good portion of the kids get their only guaranteed meals of the day from the school..thats a disadvantage...the biggest difference for the richer schools is # of coaches, quality of coaches, facilities, and off-season..while kids in poorer schools often work in the summer...kids from more wealthy backgrounds can hire personal trainers, speed coaches, go to a ton of camps etc....

Me coming from Newton,  I  think  being in an area that once was called below poverty, that toughness is en-stilled  quickly, the  character of the individuals and heart tends to show up quickly. I wish we had industry and descent jobs but we don't.We do have a good school and the Lord has blessed us with great coaches, the type coaches that coach or preach character,moral values, and how precious life is. They teach the kids that without test, there would be no testimonies and that entitlement is a bad deal.Anyway,most kids from Newton have character and heart, I wonder if it is how the families,community ,school and coaches groom the kids. We do seem to do pretty good in football each year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Thats the way my school is. 100% free lunches

11 hours ago, MattStepp said:

To some degree that's the parents fault.  I raised 9 kids on one small income with a stay at home mom. My kids ate fine.

You have to sacrifice having nice phones, shoes, and trips to the salon and put food on the table. 

You want to know true poverty visit a 3rd world shole like Afghanistan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/8/2019 at 9:57 PM, MattStepp said:

Hold on a sec. just because you live in a “rich district” doesn’t mean you are rich. There’s plenty of kids in a well off district who work summer jobs and can’t afford a gym membership, much less a personal trainer. Most of this is hogwash. It’s the same bellyaching we hear all the time about privilege.  Nice facilities don’t get you in shape if you don’t put in the work. There’s plenty of great players in all sports from poverty.  No doubt there is an advantage to having money, but it’s not the only factor involved.

I call BS. Generalized statements are rarely 100% factual.
Wealth has nothing to do with winning. Culture makes the difference.
Glaring examples are found in 2A football. Mart, Refugio, Mason and Crawford are all impoverished communities, yet they consistently produce winning programs - and not just in football. "Wealthier" communities exist in each of their districts, and yet, those wealthier programs are almost never able to compete with the aforementioned impoverished communities.

Winning programs come from a culture of winning. Just because a program can afford the best equipment, meals, travel arrangements, etc. is no measure of success.

The true measure of success is in building a culture where excellence is fostered and losing is never acceptable.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2019 at 9:52 AM, JBizzle said:

Hold on a sec. just because you live in a “rich district” doesn’t mean you are rich. There’s plenty of kids in a well off district who work summer jobs and can’t afford a gym membership, much less a personal trainer. Most of this is hogwash. It’s the same bellyaching we hear all the time about privilege.  Nice facilities don’t get you in shape if you don’t put in the work. There’s plenty of great players in all sports from poverty.  No doubt there is an advantage to having money, but it’s not the only factor involved.

Where did I say every kid in a rich district is actually rich?? lol What I said was districts w/more money are able to afford to give their kids more advantages than districts from poorer areas and in football thats massive because its a numbers driven sport. If you can afford to hire someone like Performance Course to come in and do you summer strength conditioning you've got a leg up....If you've got an indoor facility and aren't forced to miss practice because of weather you've got an advantage, if you've got 20 coaches on staff vs 10 you've got an advantage....if you have 100 kids in the program and 90 of them dont have to get summer jobs vs a program where 1/2 the kids have to get summer jobs.....those are all advantages and when looking at things on a macro level result in more affluent schools winning more in football than poorer schools....are there exceptions? Yes...but when looking at it on a large scale football is absolutely a sport where $$$ helps

This really only applies at the 6A/5A level for the most part....in the smaller classes money helps much less because the playing field is much more level on average especially from a numbers standpoint...

On 10/8/2019 at 10:49 AM, BEARDEDGOAT said:

http://gatehousenews.com/school-poverty-and-football-success/

This article is comparing football programs in areas of money and those from poverty areas. If you've ever been in a poverty area you know that this article is spot on. If you're looking for a good read I highly recommend reading this.  

Very WELL done article! Some people in Tyler and East Texas look at JT as a poverty school in some ways(they're not). That's mischaracterization of the school. REAL poverty is inner city Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio. School districts with the resources will always out do ones with less. CLASSIC haves and the have nots.