Random discussion about conferences and schedules and etc.

WETSU

What are the thoughts on them now that the have beaten Auburn? This week will probably give us a much better idea where they are at, but early returns are looking very promising for Mullen. The east really needs Mullen to bring Florida back to a steady conference contender. 

My feelings are really more negatively on Auburn after that (Nix isn't going to win anything big for them). I feel hesitant to feel anything GOOD, too strongly about the Gators...Trask is better to me than Feleipe Franks ever was, but I don't think they have a consistent enough offense to compete in the long term. I think you have too many teams that will overcome their defense. I believe you have Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, Ohio State and Texas (in no particular order) that can overcome their defense...and therefore you can see the teams I believe are the true top 5. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

What are the thoughts on them now that the have beaten Auburn? This week will probably give us a much better idea where they are at, but early returns are looking very promising for Mullen. The east really needs Mullen to bring Florida back to a steady conference contender. 

Honestly, I still can't figure out if this team is really good, or if they are just meh and caught a sleeping Auburn team. I think Auburn is a lot better than what they showed on Saturday. I will say this, I think Trask is better than Franks. Florida is good but I think we will know more after the LSU game. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

They are about to get smoked.  Speaking of which, Smoked Gator Tail is a great appetizer for tailgating parties.

• Thanks 1

Auburn has me scratching my head.  Florida isn’t a great team.  They’re not a bad team either.  I felt like auburn would’ve beaten Florida handily.  One thing for sure, neither are in the upper group of the sec.  they’re both what I’d call better than average to good.  

• Like 1

Hard to answer. 

Auburn is really their lone big win. There was a lot of hype built up week 1 for Florida-Miami, but there was a reason Miami wasn't in the preseason poll. They're not good. And Florida still struggled to beat them. When it comes to Auburn, it's hard to gauge that win as well, at least in my opinion. Each passing week, the Pac12 looks worse and worse. There's not a single team from the P12 that I would argue as a tier 1 caliber team this year. The comeback against them is looking less and less impressive. Similar sentiments can be shared for Auburn beating A&M. I shared prior to the season that I thought A&M would finish with 4 losses, and could still be one of the 15 best teams in the country. From what I've seen from them to this point, it's hard to view them even in the Top 25. 

If I were categorizing teams into 3 tiers...Great - Good/Average - Not good at all...I'd put Florida in my 2nd group. And I think the drop off between group 1 and 2 this year is huge.

I think Florida loses big to LSU (whom I think is in group 1). 

11 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I think when you start getting into that next segment of teams with great defenses or offenses, but maybe not necessarily both in as great a quality: Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Michigan, Penn State, Oregon and get ready for it...Baylor.

I need to see Baylor play a Varsity team before I can say they're good at anything yet. Simply beating SFA, UTSA, Rice, Iowa State, and Kansas State doesn't cut it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Auburn has me scratching my head.  Florida isn’t a great team.  They’re not a bad team either.  I felt like auburn would’ve beaten Florida handily.  One thing for sure, neither are in the upper group of the sec.  they’re both what I’d call better than average to good.  

When you have a Freshman playing QB, your outcome is as unpredictable as the weather.

58 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I need to see Baylor play a Varsity team before I can say they're good at anything yet. Simply beating SFA, UTSA, Rice, Iowa State, and Kansas State doesn't cut it. 

Baylor has solid talent and good game management right now.  That's all you need with their schedule thus far. 

2 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Have to agree with those above. Trask makes them better than Franks but they aren’t beating LSU or Georgia. 

Those are two of the top 3 teams in the country imo. Honestly Florida could be a rock solid top 10 program and still lose convincingly to those two. So my question is, are they a top 10 team not are they a top 2 team. 

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Those are two of the top 3 teams in the country imo. Honestly Florida could be a rock solid top 10 program and still lose convincingly to those two. So my question is, are they a top 10 team not are they a top 2 team. 

They are a top 10 team at the end of the year if they only lose those games.  However, I just don't see them surviving their schedule with their offense.

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

They will be a top 10 team just because of the the way their schedule will play out. 

They could lose to LSU and Georgia, but the rest of the East will is just not good so they will probably finish the regular season at worst with 2 losses. A two loss SEC team will be in the Top 10.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Well actually your question was “what are your thoughts of Florida now that they’ve beaten Auburn”. 

They are undefeated so sure they can be top 10 for now and probably finish there unless they slip up to SCar. I think Wisconsin, Notre Dame, and Texas are all better football teams. 

3 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

They will be a top 10 team just because of the the way their schedule will play out. 

They could lose to LSU and Georgia, but the rest of the East will is just not good so they will probably finish the regular season at worst with 2 losses. A two loss SEC team will be in the Top 10.

I mean we can’t all play vaunted big 12 schedules with one true champion. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The east does need to step it up though. Although Missouri isn’t awful. Really only Tennessee and Vandy are “bad” but you’re right outside of Florida and Georgia there are not many contenders in that division. But truthfully there aren’t more than 2 true contenders in any division in power 5 conferences besides the sec west. 

4 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Well actually your question was “what are your thoughts of Florida now that they’ve beaten Auburn”. 

They are undefeated so sure they can be top 10 for now and probably finish there unless they slip up to SCar. I think Wisconsin, Notre Dame, and Texas are all better football teams. 

Maybe. Wisconsin is probably but the other two are up for debate. I think some of the hype surrounding Texas dies down after this weekend. 

• LOL! 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, WETSU said:

I mean we can’t all play vaunted big 12 schedules with one true champion. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The east does need to step it up though. Although Missouri isn’t awful. Really only Tennessee and Vandy are “bad” but you’re right outside of Florida and Georgia there are not many contenders in that division. But truthfully there aren’t more than 2 true contenders in any division in power 5 conferences besides the sec west. 

It worked the same way with old Big 12 North. 

Kansas did not play Oklahoma or Texas that year they made the Orange Bowl.

1 minute ago, Valhalla said:

It worked the same way with old Big 12 North. 

Kansas did not play Oklahoma or Texas that year they made the Orange Bowl.

I’m not arguing that. I’m just saying that for as much #### as the east gets, there really isn’t any division besides the west with more than 2 true top 10 caliber teams. Everyone dogs the east like it’s the worst division in football, but I think it just looks that way compared to how good the west is. It’s honestly about average if you truly break down most divisions besides the sec west. 

4 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I’m not arguing that. I’m just saying that for as much #### as the east gets, there really isn’t any division besides the west with more than 2 true top 10 caliber teams. Everyone dogs the east like it’s the worst division in football, but I think it just looks that way compared to how good the west is. It’s honestly about average if you truly break down most divisions besides the sec west. 

All I’m arguing in that in the past decade a lot of East teams get ranked a lot higher than they should just because of the fact they don’t have to play the best teams in their own conference. 

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Maybe. Wisconsin is probably but the other two are up for debate. I think some of the hype surrounding Texas dies down after this weekend. 

Even if Texas gets rolled by Ou this weekend, I believe Texas would still beat Florida in a game. 

• Like 2

• Mr. P changed the title to Random discussion about conferences and schedules and etc.