Random discussion about conferences and schedules and etc.

WETSU

6 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Even if Texas gets rolled by Ou this weekend, I believe Texas would still beat Florida in a game. 

Maybe they would maybe they wouldn’t. I mean outside of a close loss to LSU Texas hasn’t played anyone just like Florida hasn’t played anyone besides auburn. I really don’t know what Texas is. That defense could easily cost them any game they play. That’s just the facts of it. 

I personally think it would be close and could go either way between Florida and Texas, but I haven’t seen enough from either to give either the edge definitively. 

6 hours ago, Valhalla said:

All I’m arguing in that in the past decade a lot of East teams get ranked a lot higher than they should just because of the fact they don’t have to play the best teams in their own conference. 

I see what you’re saying, but I think it happens everywhere. Even the big 12. Imo the only two teams even close remotely close to being top 20 this year will be ou and Texas. Is that really much different than what Florida has to do schedule wise? 

We can talk about the easy being weak all day long and yes it is weaker than the west. But it’s got about the normal that most divisions in college football have. Missouri, South Carolina and Kentucky are all average teams. Every division in football them. Tennessee and Vandy are bad. But every division has those too. 

Florida will have to play 3 top 10 teams in conference play, plus another in the title game to get to the playoffs. Is there anyone from my other conference doing significantly more than that and I’m not aware of it? I see the point your making, but you need to see mine. Florida schedule isn’t just a walk in the park easy ticket. Even if they do somehow miss Alabama. Which if they make it to the title game they may face anyway. So you saying they don’t play the best in their conference I don’t get because they likely have to beat Bama LSU auburn and Georgia to make the playoff and that’s the 4 best in the conference. What more could they do? 

10 hours ago, WETSU said:

I mean we can’t all play vaunted big 12 schedules with one true champion. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The east does need to step it up though. Although Missouri isn’t awful. Really only Tennessee and Vandy are “bad” but you’re right outside of Florida and Georgia there are not many contenders in that division. But truthfully there aren’t more than 2 true contenders in any division in power 5 conferences besides the sec west. 

The east has needed to step it up for years.  It’s been Georgia and “those other teams” for 8-10 years.  And Georgia has proven to be beatable.  To me, Florida will need to beat LSU or Georgia to stay in the top 10.  

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

Maybe they would maybe they wouldn’t. I mean outside of a close loss to LSU Texas hasn’t played anyone just like Florida hasn’t played anyone besides auburn. I really don’t know what Texas is. That defense could easily cost them any game they play. That’s just the facts of it. 

I personally think it would be close and could go either way between Florida and Texas, but I haven’t seen enough from either to give either the edge definitively. 

That’s not how facts work. You cant make a statement with “could” and then call it a fact. 
IMO Texas is just a bad matchup for Florida. I don’t think Texas right now is a great team but some games are just matchup problems for teams. Texas can stop the run (see Sugar Bowl), as I’m sure Florida would try and do to Texas too. So now it comes down to Trask vs Ehlinger to win a game with their arm and legs. If you’re not betting on Sam in that scenario then good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

The east has needed to step it up for years.  It’s been Georgia and “those other teams” for 8-10 years.  And Georgia has proven to be beatable.  To me, Florida will need to beat LSU or Georgia to stay in the top 10.  

It’s been Georgia and Florida.  Not just Georgia... but SC without Spurrier is nothing.  Tennessee has fallen off the deep end.  Vandy will never be a power.  Kentucky is serviceable but that may be their peak (think Texas Tech).  

11 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

It’s been Georgia and Florida.  Not just Georgia... but SC without Spurrier is nothing.  Tennessee has fallen off the deep end.  Vandy will never be a power.  Kentucky is serviceable but that may be their peak (think Texas Tech).  

Nope.  Florida has been down the last 8-10 years.  Think of the muschamp years.  Mcelwain had them playing better, but they still weren’t great.  They never challenged for the West that I remember.  

Heck even Missouri won the division twice in that span

11 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Well actually your question was “what are your thoughts of Florida now that they’ve beaten Auburn”. 

They are undefeated so sure they can be top 10 for now and probably finish there unless they slip up to SCar. I think Wisconsin, Notre Dame, and Texas are all better football teams. 

JustAFan, I'm glad you mentioned Wisconsin...I always forget them. They are the plain toast of college football to me and always have been (though they do have a little butter smear on them this year...with a little passing game). They're currently in that top group of mine: LSU, Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, Clemson, and Wisconsin.

and I forget the shamrocks in that 2nd grouping because I like to block out their national bias...Notre Dame, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, Penn State, Michigan, Oregon, Iowa, and Baylor. 

4 hours ago, WETSU said:

I see what you’re saying, but I think it happens everywhere. Even the big 12. Imo the only two teams even close remotely close to being top 20 this year will be ou and Texas. Is that really much different than what Florida has to do schedule wise? 

We can talk about the easy being weak all day long and yes it is weaker than the west. But it’s got about the normal that most divisions in college football have. Missouri, South Carolina and Kentucky are all average teams. Every division in football them. Tennessee and Vandy are bad. But every division has those too. 

Florida will have to play 3 top 10 teams in conference play, plus another in the title game to get to the playoffs. Is there anyone from my other conference doing significantly more than that and I’m not aware of it? I see the point your making, but you need to see mine. Florida schedule isn’t just a walk in the park easy ticket. Even if they do somehow miss Alabama. Which if they make it to the title game they may face anyway. So you saying they don’t play the best in their conference I don’t get because they likely have to beat Bama LSU auburn and Georgia to make the playoff and that’s the 4 best in the conference. What more could they do? 

No, not this year. Though the last time Florida played Auburn in the regular season before this year Texas A&M was still in the Big 12.

56 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I think it all depends on what direction each of your arguments are coming from. 

If you're purely talking winning the division, then MavGrad is right, it hasn't been just Georgia. Dating back 10 years, Georgia has won the division 4X, Florida 3X, Mizz 2X, and even SC 1 X. 

However, if DB's point is regarding dominant teams, I think he's right from that standpoint. Two of those years Florida won the division, the division as a whole was down. 2016, for example, FL, TN, and GA finished as the top 3 teams. However, they only won 8, 8, and 7 games respectively. But someone has to win the division, lol. So in recent years, the only team from the east that's been dominant, is Georgia. 

5 hours ago, WETSU said:

This part of your comment really confuses me, and really makes me wonder (as I've pointed out before), if you're truly incapable of acknowledging anything positive when it comes to Texas. 

Let's start with their overall performance on the season. I agree that their defense has been questionable; I've acknowledged that numerous times. However, in the 5 games they've played so far, they've scored over 35 points in each contest, with well over 400 yards of offense each contest (500 in 3 of them). That's not enough to show you the offense is legit?

Now let's look at what they did in the LSU game. They were well over 500 yards offense and 38 points. And that's not including another TD that they literally dropped. And they were still within a half yard of Colin Johnson not sliding out of bounds to recover the onside kick away from one more shot at sending the game to OT.

Yes, that was only 1 game. It was also 1 game against a team that you have slated as one of the Top 3 teams in the country. That doesn't 'show' you anything?

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

JustAFan, I'm glad you mentioned Wisconsin...I always forget them. They are the plain toast of college football to me and always have been (though they do have a little butter smear on them this year...with a little passing game). They're currently in that top group of mine: LSU, Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, Clemson, and Wisconsin.

and I forget the shamrocks in that 2nd grouping because I like to block out their national bias...Notre Dame, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, Penn State, Michigan, Oregon, Iowa, and Baylor. 

I adopted Wisconsin as my second favorite team a few years back, lol. 

17 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

This part of your comment really confuses me, and really makes me wonder (as I've pointed out before), if you're truly incapable of acknowledging anything positive when it comes to Texas. 

Let's start with their overall performance on the season. I agree that their defense has been questionable; I've acknowledged that numerous times. However, in the 5 games they've played so far, they've scored over 35 points in each contest, with well over 400 yards of offense each contest (500 in 3 of them). That's not enough to show you the offense is legit?

Now let's look at what they did in the LSU game. They were well over 500 yards offense and 38 points. And that's not including another TD that they literally dropped. And they were still within a half yard of Colin Johnson not sliding out of bounds to recover the onside kick away from one more shot at sending the game to OT.

Yes, that was only 1 game. It was also 1 game against a team that you have slated as one of the Top 3 teams in the country. That doesn't 'show' you anything?

I think I heard somebody in the back yell "BING---O"

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I’ve said several times I think the Texas offense is very good, but I think the defense is pretty bad. Those things I feel confident about. If that’s what you’re talking about when you say knowing who they are. 

What I’m saying is i don’t know for sure if they are a top 10 team. I think they are a top 10 offense with a defense that could easily have them ranked 23 by seasons end. If that’s not a fair statement to you, then I’m sorry. 

2 minutes ago, WETSU said:

What I’m saying is i don’t know for sure if they are a top 10 team. I think they are a top 10 offense with a defense that could easily have them ranked 23 by seasons end. If that’s not a fair statement to you, then I’m sorry. 

I think they'll be Top 10 on their record alone, even if they go 10-2 with losses to the two teams they've played who have a pulse. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I’ve said several times I think the Texas offense is very good, but I think the defense is pretty bad. Those things I feel confident about. If that’s what you’re talking about when you say knowing who they are. 

Let me ask you a question WETSU, 

Most teams that finished 15th or lower last season had 4 losses. So for Texas to finish 23, they'd likely have to go 3-4 the rest of the way. As I already know you believe they lose to OU, tell me the other 2 losses you think they suffer to drop them that low. 

2 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

That’s not how facts work. You cant make a statement with “could” and then call it a fact. 
IMO Texas is just a bad matchup for Florida. I don’t think Texas right now is a great team but some games are just matchup problems for teams. Texas can stop the run (see Sugar Bowl), as I’m sure Florida would try and do to Texas too. So now it comes down to Trask vs Ehlinger to win a game with their arm and legs. If you’re not betting on Sam in that scenario then good luck. 

Are we still pointing at last season sugar bowl as a marker? 

You blast me for using the words facts then you Come back with an opinion that’s texas WILL stop the run because of some results from last season. If you’re going to play at least play fair. This is all speculation. 

1 minute ago, Lobo97 said:

Let me ask you a question WETSU, 

Most teams that finished 15th or lower last season had 4 losses. So for Texas to finish 23, they'd likely have to go 3-4 the rest of the way. As I already know you believe they lose to OU, tell me the other 2 losses you think they suffer to drop them that low. 

I didn’t say I predict they lose 4 games or I predict they finish 23. You guys are incapable of intelligent conversation when it comes to Texas...

What I said in not so many words, was Texas has a really good offense but a defense that is extremely suspect based off what we have seen. To answer your question, their defense has played poorly enough that ANY of the remaining games on their schedule could be losses if Sam plays bad one game or heaven for bid gets hurt or something. My point is that the defense isn’t winning those games for you based off of what we have seen. That’s what I’m trying to say. Texas looks good this year, but there are MANY holes on this team. Holes that could be exposed by nearly everyone left on the schedule if we are being honest. WVU is one of the weaker teams you had on the schedule and they just hung 31 up. 

9 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I didn’t say I predict they lose 4 games or I predict they finish 23. You guys are incapable of intelligent conversation when it comes to Texas...

What I said in not so many words, was Texas has a really good offense but a defense that is extremely suspect based off what we have seen. To answer your question, their defense has played poorly enough that ANY of the remaining games on their schedule could be losses if Sam plays bad one game or heaven for bid gets hurt or something. My point is that the defense isn’t winning those games for you based off of what we have seen. That’s what I’m trying to say. Texas looks good this year, but there are MANY holes on this team. Holes that could be exposed by nearly everyone left on the schedule if we are being honest. WVU is one of the weaker teams you had on the schedule and they just hung 31 up. 

"I think they are a top 10 offense with a defense that could easily have them ranked 23 by seasons end." 

This is exactly what you said, and I responded to that part with a simple question. Don't start making attacks like, "you're incapable of an intelligent conversation" when someone is simply responding to the comment you made. My question, in NO WAY, implied that you said you 'predicted' they finish 23rd. You did, however, say you think they COULD easily finish 23rd. So I asked, who do you THINK they lose to that COULD drop them to 23.

If you can't answer that question without throwing a fit, then that's your issue WET. 

14 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Well Texas is  sitting 11th for a reason.  Evidently some think they’re the best non-top10 team out there at this point in the season.  Most Texas fans know the deficiencies with the defense.  However, they managed to hold the nation’s leading rusher to about 40% of his avg production and made him earn that on almost 40 carries. Ok State is a good football team, the game against Tech is a head scratcher.  

Back to the Texas defense, if Orlando doesnt go to a 4 man front he’s dooming his secondary all year.  5 games in and you’re seeing the same thing.  He’s quit blitzing so much and yet the same results.  Common denominator is a 3 man front.  He’s got to get pressure without blitzing.  They moved Austin Kendall a few times and forced errant throws.  When he had all day he looked like Tom Brady.  Same will be for Jalen Hurts and the other Big12 QBs.  No pressure, you’re going to give up big yards in the passing game, especially with poor tackling in the defensive backfield.  I’d like to see better tackling and more pressure with 4

18 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Are we still pointing at last season sugar bowl as a marker? 

You blast me for using the words facts then you Come back with an opinion that’s texas WILL stop the run because of some results from last season. If you’re going to play at least play fair. This is all speculation. 

Chubs Hubbard 

40 carries, 100 yards.  He earned his yards too.  Was averaging far more than 100 per game.  LSU was supposed to be able to run over the Texas defense.  They didn’t.  That’s this year.

15 minutes ago, WETSU said:

West Virginia will beat some teams this year you don’t think they’re supposed to.  Their game against Missouri (which I watched) was awful.  They looked a lot better on both sides of the ball saturday.

3 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

"I think they are a top 10 offense with a defense that could easily have them ranked 23 by seasons end." 

This is exactly what you said, and I responded to that part with a simple question. Don't start making attacks like, "you're incapable of an intelligent conversation" when someone is simply responding to the comment you made. My question, in NO WAY, implied that you said you 'predicted' they finish 23rd. You did, however, say you think they COULD easily finish 23rd. So I asked, who do you THINK they lose to that COULD drop them to 23.

If you can't answer that question without throwing a fit, then that's your issue WET. 

This is why I say you guys are unintelligent. Read the whole sentence...

“a top ten offense with a defense that could easily have them ranked 23 by seasons end.” 

Are you guys incapable of understanding what a hyperbole is? My point is that Texas defense is not great. Every team left on your schedule is capable of scoring from time to time. I did not say I think they lose 4 games or I think they finish 23. I pointed out the differences in their offense vs their defense and the dangers their defense provides in predicting their wins. It’s not my fault you can’t read a sentence and understand it’s context or intent correctly. 

The answer to your question is I do not have 3-4 teams I guarantee Texas will lose to because I did not guarantee Texas finishes 23 with 3 more losses. It was a comparison but I’ll make sure I simply from now on. Texas COULD with a bad game from Sam lose to anyone left in the schedule the way the defense has been playing. If you disagree that’s fine. 

10 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

He always leaves his stuff open ended so he can change his tune later.  I can’t remember which poster said it, but you can see his hate for Texas in every post he makes.  You’re seeing more of it.    

He accuses you of using Georgia last year of how Texas can stop the run, but we’ve seen this year that they’re pretty good against the run.  But you question him and it’s “you’re incapable of intelligent conversation”.  Lol

• Mr. P changed the title to Random discussion about conferences and schedules and etc.