Random discussion about conferences and schedules and etc.

WETSU

3 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Chubs Hubbard 

40 carries, 100 yards.  He earned his yards too.  Was averaging far more than 100 per game.  LSU was supposed to be able to run over the Texas defense.  They didn’t.  That’s this year.

To be fair, LSU has abandoned the run on everyone. They are a throwing team now. Complete 180. Holding them to limited amounts of rushing yards is the equivalent of holding mike leach to a limited amount of rushing yards. 

3 minutes ago, WETSU said:

This is why I say you guys are unintelligent. Read the whole sentence...

“a top ten offense with a defense that could easily have them ranked 23 by seasons end.” 

Are you guys incapable of understanding what a hyperbole is? My point is that Texas defense is not great. Every team left on your schedule is capable of scoring from time to time. I did not say I think they lose 4 games or I think they finish 23. I pointed out the differences in their offense vs their defense and the dangers their defense provides in predicting their wins. It’s not my fault you can’t read a sentence and understand it’s context or intent correctly. 

The answer to your question is I do not have 3-4 teams I guarantee Texas will lose to because I did not guarantee Texas finishes 23 with 3 more losses. It was a comparison but I’ll make sure I simply from now on. Texas COULD with a bad game from Sam lose to anyone left in the schedule the way the defense has been playing. If you disagree that’s fine. 

Wait! There’s teams in the awful big dumpster fire conference that can beat Texas now, but another Aggie in this thread said none of them have a pulse and Texas goes 10-2.  

I was going to share this yesterday, when giving my answer on 'what I think of Florida now', but thought it would be lengthy. Since the comments are starting to sway towards the rankings, I'll share this now.

I think this season has been weird. At this point in the season, most years, there are still a number of teams within the top 15 that look like they could make a game with the top teams. This season, however, and in my opinion, there are really just 6-7 top teams...Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, LSU, OU, and Texas (IMO). What I mean by this, is I think a game between any 2 of these teams would be a great matchup. The drop-off after these teams, however, is significant. When we look at teams like Florida, Wisconsin, Penn State, Notre Dame, etc, I think we would all agree that while they are good teams, none of us would be picking them to win a matchup with the top teams this year. (Then again, I'm having my worst year ever in the pickem, so perhaps I'm way off here, 😂)

Point is, when you have a Top 10, or 20, or 25, someone has to make each of those slots. So while we argue about whether a team is truly worthy of being the 8th best, or 9th, or simply a Top 15 team this season, does it really matter? Is it really proving anything?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WETSU said:

To be fair, LSU has abandoned the run on everyone. They are a throwing team now. Complete 180. Holding them to limited amounts of rushing yards is the equivalent of holding mike leach to a limited amount of rushing yards. 

Not Utah State, but I get what you're saying. They ran for 122 yards on Northwestern State and Georgia Southern. And 102 on Texas (with 6 fewer attempts). 

Just now, DB2point0 said:

Wait! There’s teams in the awful big dumpster fire conference that can beat Texas now, but another Aggie in this thread said none of them have a pulse and Texas goes 10-2.  

Could and should are different. It’s more indicative to how many holes are on the Texas team than how great the other teams are. This Texas team is one bad game by sam away from a loss nearly every time it plays. And there’s nothing wrong with living on QB play, but it’s hard to point to it every time and hope that it sticks. Just one hit to bang him up or one confusing scheme that slows him down and Texas is extremely vulnerable. That’s not me being a Texas hater it’s just the way it appears to be. The defense is giving up points and the running game outside of Sam still isn’t dominant enough to carry the team with a Sam injury or bad game. 

17 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

It's like we're two different people with two different opinions. Amazing, isn't it?

If you think all fans of a team have to have the same opinions, that explains a lot about you, your intelligence, and your life that I wondered before. It's okay to think for yourself, bud. . 

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Nope.  Florida has been down the last 8-10 years.  Think of the muschamp years.  Mcelwain had them playing better, but they still weren’t great.  They never challenged for the West that I remember.  

Heck even Missouri won the division twice in that span

In the past 10 years:

georgia x4

florida x3

missouri x2

south Carolina x1

8 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Not counting burrows runs they rushed 20 times  for 104 yds.  Burrow rushed 9 times for 8 yds.

15 minutes ago, WETSU said:

This is why I say you guys are unintelligent. Read the whole sentence...

“a top ten offense with a defense that could easily have them ranked 23 by seasons end.” 

Are you guys incapable of understanding what a hyperbole is? My point is that Texas defense is not great. Every team left on your schedule is capable of scoring from time to time. I did not say I think they lose 4 games or I think they finish 23. I pointed out the differences in their offense vs their defense and the dangers their defense provides in predicting their wins. It’s not my fault you can’t read a sentence and understand it’s context or intent correctly. 

The answer to your question is I do not have 3-4 teams I guarantee Texas will lose to because I did not guarantee Texas finishes 23 with 3 more losses. It was a comparison but I’ll make sure I simply from now on. Texas COULD with a bad game from Sam lose to anyone left in the schedule the way the defense has been playing. If you disagree that’s fine. 

Okay, this is my last reply to this particular part of our argument, as we're starting to get off track...

When 9 out of 10 comments a person makes are complete criticism about a particular topic, no one is going to pick up on the 10th being an exaggeration. That said, perhaps I should have phrased my question differently. Rather than asking for specific teams, perhaps I should have simply asked you...Do you honestly believe Texas is capable of losing 4 more games with the schedule they have the rest of the way. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Could and should are different. It’s more indicative to how many holes are on the Texas team than how great the other teams are. This Texas team is one bad game by sam away from a loss nearly every time it plays. And there’s nothing wrong with living on QB play, but it’s hard to point to it every time and hope that it sticks. Just one hit to bang him up or one confusing scheme that slows him down and Texas is extremely vulnerable. That’s not me being a Texas hater it’s just the way it appears to be. The defense is giving up points and the running game outside of Sam still isn’t dominant enough to carry the team with a Sam injury or bad game. 

Kinda like aTm with Mond.  Most teams would struggle without their starting qb

Just now, DB2point0 said:

Not counting burrows runs they rushed 20 times  for 104 yds.  Burrow rushed 9 times for 8 yds.

What is your point here? I just said (as the stats of the entire season show) that LSU is not the LSU of old running down people’s throats. They throw the ball around. Texas excellent run defense only held LSU to 16 rushing yards less than mighty northwestern st.... LSU is not a running team anymore. That’s not because Texas took it away, it’s just not who they are. 

17 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Chubs Hubbard 

40 carries, 100 yards.  He earned his yards too.  Was averaging far more than 100 per game.  LSU was supposed to be able to run over the Texas defense.  They didn’t.  That’s this year.

You are full of gems today.  LSU ranks 59th in rushing attempts per game.  That is a massive change in style of play.  Who knows what would have happened if LSU ran primarily this year like they have in the past.  The yards would have been up quite a bit, but LSU would have lost the game playing that way.

Just now, WETSU said:

What is your point here? I just said (as the stats of the entire season show) that LSU is not the LSU of old running down people’s throats. They throw the ball around. Texas excellent run defense only held LSU to 16 rushing yards less than mighty northwestern st.... LSU is not a running team anymore. That’s not because Texas took it away, it’s just not who they are. 

You said they abandoned the run.  They used the RB in the ground game 20 times.  To me abandoning the run is what Mike Leach typically does.  60 pass attempts and 8 rushing attempts.  20 carries is more than trying to keep the defense honest.  

3 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

That's 3.5 yards per carry. The same average Northwestern State held them to. Great company the Texas run defense is in, I guess. 

“Not counting the Burrows attempts” is actually 5+ ypc 

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

“Not counting the Burrows attempts” is actually 5+ ypc 

Well yeah. Four of his attempts were sacks, and another few were probably scrambles. That's why he didn't include that. Heck when you consider Nw St only had 1 sack, the average on designed runs is HIGHER against Texas.

But yeah, they attempted 39 passes and 20 designed runs. That's a 2:1 ratio... Crazy to see a team like LSU do that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Okay, this is my last reply to this particular argument, as we're starting to get off track...

When 9 out of 10 comments a person makes are complete criticism about a particular topic, no one is going to pick up on the 10th being an exaggeration. That said, perhaps I should have phrased my question differently. Rather than asking for specific teams, perhaps I should have simply asked you...Do you honestly believe Texas is capable of losing 4 more games with the schedule they have the rest of the way. 

And my answer to that has been stated several times. This Texas team is only as good as Sam is on any particular day. The defense is going to give up points against everyone with a pulse, and the running game isn’t good enough to make up for a Sam injury or bad game.

So if Sam plays above average every week, no Texas won’t lose 4 games. If ANYTHING happens to Sam physically or a mental game, all bets are off. It would not be upset of the century to see Texas lose to baylor Iowa st simply because of how poorly the defense plays is what I’m saying. 

2 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

You are full of gems today.  LSU ranks 59th in rushing attempts per game.  That is a massive change in style of play.  Who knows what would have happened if LSU ran primarily this year like they have in the past.  The yards would have been up quite a bit, but LSU would have lost the game playing that way.

I’m not disagreeing, but they’re not completely abandoning the run

5 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

That’s right.  Abandoning the run would be a lot less attempts than 20.  

They had more attempts vs a NSU and still barely got more. You’re missing the point. LSU is not a physical running team anymore: they aren’t running on anyone. Texas holding them to 106 on 20 is irrelevant. That’s about the average that even southland teams are holding them too so using Texas stoping the run vs LSU is not some major accomplishment.

1 minute ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Well yeah. Four of his attempts were sacks, and another few were probably scrambles. That's why he didn't include that. Heck when you consider Nw St only had 1 sack, the average on designed runs is HIGHER against Texas.

But yeah, they attempted 39 passes and 20 designed runs. That's a 2:1 ratio... Crazy to see a team like LSU do that. 

Qb scrambles and sacks can skew the rushing stats.  That’s why I didn’t include them.  The rushing stats looked better without them, but holding LSU to 100 rushing yards ain’t too bad.  

3 minutes ago, WETSU said:

They had more attempts vs a NSU and still barely got more. You’re missing the point. LSU is not a physical running team anymore: they aren’t running on anyone. Texas holding them to 106 on 20 is irrelevant. That’s about the average that even southland teams are holding them too so using Texas stoping the run vs LSU is not some major accomplishment.

Ok

• Stinks 1

1 minute ago, WETSU said:

And my answer to that has been stated several times. This Texas team is only as good as Sam is on any particular day. The defense is going to give up points against everyone with a pulse, and the running game isn’t good enough to make up for a Sam injury or bad game.

So if Sam plays above average every week, no Texas won’t lose 4 games. If ANYTHING happens to Sam physically or a mental game, all bets are off. It would not be upset of the century to see Texas lose to baylor Iowa st simply because of how poorly the defense plays is what I’m saying. 

I think that is the biggest difference with this Texas team than in recent years. For the last 10 years, we've seen Texas have great defenses, great running backs, great receivers, but the one thing that has been consistently bad, the QB. I think that's why you see so many of the analysts as high on Texas as they are this year. Sam Ehlinger is having an amazing season, so far.

7 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Kinda like aTm with Mond.  Most teams would struggle without their starting qb

Struggle, and fall from a top 10 caliber team to maybe losing 4 games is not the same. I don’t know that A&M is definitively better with Mond. Texas definitely is with Sam. See the difference. 

1 minute ago, WETSU said:

Struggle, and fall from a top 10 caliber team to maybe losing 4 games is not the same. I don’t know that A&M is definitively better with Mond. Texas definitely is with Sam. See the difference. 

Take Mond off your team and you become an underdog in almost every remaining game

• Mr. P changed the title to Random discussion about conferences and schedules and etc.