MavGrad's Week 7 Preview (2019)

Coach Rab

A great week for me.  I get to see LSU's new high powered offense against a formidable defense.  We get to watch OU take on Texas... Always a treat, even when Texas is bad.  Texas A&M playing their SuperBowl... where if they find a way to win it means we get to hear Aggies go on about it for a year.  COLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEE  FOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTBALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

#6 Oklahoma vs #11 Texas  11:00 AM  FOX

The Dr. Pepper Red River Shootout!  The Red River Rivalry!  The offensive and traumatic Horns down!  (or even more offensive is random people yelling BOOMER SOONER! all over DFW.)  Now that we have all of the hype out of the way let's talk about the boring part... football....  Everything in me says Jalen Hurts torches Texas... but I also can't see Orlando having another bad game calling defense in a game this big.  So basically, I think OU is the better team, also the more talented team... So I will go Sooners by 6.

#1 Alabama vs #24 Texas A&M  2:30 PM  CBS

Aggies will need to find a way to not let the trolls get to them since this game will likely put them at 3-3 to start this year after a fantastic year last year.  I see you guys on here defending your coach at FSU...  who cares about what he did there?  He is doing great at A&M...  The Aggies overachieved last season.  They are doing what you guys and the rest of us pretty much expected of them to start this year.  As long as the talent improves and the coaching stays on point, the Aggies will be fine...  but as for this game... A&M has too many holes, a QB that still doesn't have it figured out and they are playing against a team that seems to have everything figured out.  Tough break in a tough schedule...  Tide by 14.

Texas Tech at #22 Baylor  3:00 PM  No TV Listing

I honestly think this game is pretty even.  I like what Baylor is doing this season, but can they limit Texas Tech scoring and control the game like they have pretty much this entire season.  They should be able to, but I feel like they will be on edge in this game.  I am sticking with the Bears but in a close one.  Bears by 3.

USC at #9 Notre Dame  6:30 PM  NBC

Notre Dame kind of disappeared the past few weeks after their strong showing against Georgia.  However, I am previewing this game to put them back on the map.  They are that one team that will sneak into the playoffs if Georgia finds a way to fall once or twice or if Ohio St or Clemson slip somewhere.  Irish by 10.

#10 Penn St vs #17 Iowa  6:30 PM  ABC

Coaching means a lot in college football.  I've always said coaching is worth 7 points, and despite what we think of him James Franklin gets the most out of a game.  Hell, he won at Vanderbilt...  Penn St by Franklin's 7 points.

Arkansas at Kentucky  6:30 PM  SEC Network

Going with the Wildcats in this one.  Kentucky's talent has finally built up to the point where they can maintain a winning season.  Arkansas seems on track to get there, but that time is not now.  Wildcats by 13.

#7 Florida at #5 LSU  7:00 PM  ESPN

I said this last week and I am sticking with it.  If LSU does not beat Florida by at least 14, I am going to be upset.  This new offense was created to separate themselves from teams like Florida where they rely solely on their defense when they are having a bad day.  Well, if this offense for LSU keeps on ticking, you aren't allowed to have a bad day.  Joe Burrow should throw for 4 more TDs and win this one handily.  Florida's QB is an average QB and just can't win a game of this magnitude for them.  I expect Florida to try and get the ball to their speedsters on the edge and score some points... but LSU will prevail... 40-24.  Geaux Tigahs!

2h4dbuym8bk11.jpg

• Like 2

I said in the off-season that if BAMA lost a regular season game, it would be at A&M. I’m not so sure about that now, considering the Aggies’ slips and the emergence of LSU’s offense. But Kyle Field will no doubt be rocking Saturday, and it should be a good game. 

This year will probably be the first since 2008 that Texas has come into the RRS with the better oline, especially if the Sooners are missing both tackles (although @Valhalla says one will play). 

Hurts is going to hurt Texas with his legs, Texas has to tackle in space and force Hurts to convert 3rd downs with his arm. 

Texas gets Colin Johnson back this week which will open the middle of the field up for Duverney and Smith. Texas hasn’t run 4WR sets since LSU, expect them to empty the playbook this weekend. 
One thing much different this week than at any time during Herman’s tenure, the Longhorn players(Defensive players) are talking some smack and have given some bulletin board material this week. It would seem that they are pretty confident heading into this game. Im anxious to see if they can back it up. 

7 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

This year will probably be the first since 2008 that Texas has come into the RRS with the better oline, especially if the Sooners are missing both tackles (although @Valhalla says one will play). 

Hurts is going to hurt Texas with his legs, Texas has to tackle in space and force Hurts to convert 3rd downs with his arm. 

Texas gets Colin Johnson back this week which will open the middle of the field up for Duverney and Smith. Texas hasn’t run 4WR sets since LSU, expect them to empty the playbook this weekend. 
One thing much different this week than at any time during Herman’s tenure, the Longhorn players(Defensive players) are talking some smack and have given some bulletin board material this week. It would seem that they are pretty confident heading into this game. Im anxious to see if they can back it up. 

They did that against LSU and it didn't work out well for them. Herman needs to take some notes from Belichick... No bulletin board material!!

41 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Oklahoma's O-line is without a doubt worse than it was last year, but last year they had the best O-line in college football.

Oklahoma's offensive line is by no means awful though. 

Oklahoma is averaging 7.8 yards per rush compared to Texas at 4.5

Oklahoma has only given up 4 sacks compared to 10 for Texas.

Oklahoma has 564 more rushing yards than Texas even though they have 11 less rushing attempts for the season.

Oklahoma's offense is still #1 in averaging over 10 yards a play. Texas only averages 6.66.

This is with 5 different starting O-line combinations so far on the season.

So yeah they are not what they were last year, but lets hang on before we talk about the demise of the Oklahoma offensive line unit.

42 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

They did that against LSU and it didn't work out well for them. Herman needs to take some notes from Belichick... No bulletin board material!!

Umm that’s not correct. LSU was talking the smack leading up to the game and Texas was the opposite. 

17 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Oklahoma's O-line is without a doubt worse than it was last year, but last year they had the best O-line in college football.

Oklahoma has 564 more rushing yards than Texas even though they have 11 less rushing attempts for the season.

Oklahoma's offense is still #1 in averaging over 10 yards a play. Texas only averages 6.66.

So yeah they are not what they were last year, but lets hang on before we talk about the demise of the Oklahoma offensive line unit.

OU always has a great OL, and I think that is true again this year. Although, I do think it will be tough to replace both starting tackles (everything I've seen, as recent as yesterday, still says both are most likely out). 

But as for comparing the stats you shared, let's be fair about one thing...The first few weeks of the season, Texas had an injured RB, and a QB, playing RB. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

This is with 5 different starting O-line combinations so far on the season.

I never said they were in demis, Just that Texas is probably better this year(especially if the Ou tackles are out). That doesn’t seem unreasonable. The stats don’t do much for me because Texas has played better teams. 

19 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Umm that’s not correct. LSU was talking the smack leading up to the game and Texas was the opposite. 

Well that's not entirely accurate either. They had 'The Real DBU' t-shirts made...which I hope they burned after that game. lol

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

#6 Oklahoma vs #11 Texas  11:00 AM  FOX

The Dr. Pepper Red River Shootout!  The Red River Rivalry!  The offensive and traumatic Horns down!  (or even more offensive is random people yelling BOOMER SOONER! all over DFW.)  Now that we have all of the hype out of the way let's talk about the boring part... football....  Everything in me says Jalen Hurts torches Texas... but I also can't see Orlando having another bad game calling defense in a game this big.  So basically, I think OU is the better team, also the more talented team... So I will go Sooners by 6.

Texas by 20+ 

1 minute ago, Lobo97 said:

Well that's not entirely accurate either. They had 'The Real DBU' t-shirts made...which I hope they burned after that game. lol

I don’t consider that smack talk, there are at least 4 schools that claim DBU. Texas has just been claiming it the longest. 

My main point was We haven’t seen Texas players talk smack in front of the media leading up to the game. I’m sure they talk just as much as any program on the field. 

We like to talk about other teams from time to time...

Let's think outside of the box...  How good is Appalachian State?  5-0 for I think the 2nd or 3rd year in FBS.  They seem like one of those schools that just know how to win...  Their stats yesterday were dreadful, but they were playing a solid La-Lafayette team.  Thoughts?

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

We like to talk about other teams from time to time...

Let's think outside of the box...  How good is Appalachian State?  5-0 for I think the 2nd or 3rd year in FBS.  They seem like one of those schools that just know how to win...  Their stats yesterday were dreadful, but they were playing a solid La-Lafayette team.  Thoughts?

Winning is part of their culture and tradition. Everyone knows them because they beat Michigan that one year when Michigan was ranked #5, but most people don't know they had won multiple national titles the years leading up to that (and also won the national title that year). I don't care that they were FCS or whatever- winning is winning and they expect to win when they take the field Nobody wants to be the class who breaks the winning tradition. They usually have some athletic players on the field as well. 

Are they as good as some of the top P5 teams? No, but they're a solid football program. 

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Winning is part of their culture and tradition. Everyone knows them because they beat Michigan that one year when Michigan was ranked #5, but most people don't know they had won multiple national titles the years leading up to that (and also won the national title that year). I don't care that they were FCS or whatever- winning is winning and they expect to win when they take the field Nobody wants to be the class who breaks the winning tradition. They usually have some athletic players on the field as well. 

Are they as good as some of the top P5 teams? No, but they're a solid football program. 

Isn't a&m slated to play them in a couple years?  2022 or 2023?  Thought I saw it announced a while back.

32 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

Isn't a&m slated to play them in a couple years?  2022 or 2023?  Thought I saw it announced a while back.

Yep. And I'm honestly scared of that game... As I said, they have a culture and tradition of winning and they're not afraid to play anyone. 

Inb4 gotcha culture shows up and says, "iSnT jImBo BuiLdInG cHaMpIoNs?!"

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I went to the App State versus Troy game last year in Boone, NC. The stadium and setting is very nice and scenic in the mountains. It was cold as all get out too! While I really enjoyed the whole experience it very much reminded me of going to a 6A high school football game with some of the activities that they did.

The RRR is a great game. 11pt spread is way too high. The winner is pretty much in the Big 12 Champioship assuming both take care of business. Also a Texas victory and Big 12 title would let them in the playoffs. I expect a 24-17 type game. Oklahoma hasn't been tested and Texas needs a signature win. 

9 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

The RRR is a great game. 11pt spread is way too high. The winner is pretty much in the Big 12 Champioship assuming both take care of business. Also a Texas victory and Big 12 title would let them in the playoffs. I expect a 24-17 type game. Oklahoma hasn't been tested and Texas needs a signature win. 

The loser is probably in the dumb Big 12 Championship game as well.

• Like 2

Just now, Valhalla said:

The loser is probably in the dumb Big 12 Championship game as well.

Agree just don't wanna count on that. Winner has inside track of a playoff spot . If ou loses then a one loss team might leap them. A two loss Texas team has no shot unless for some reason they just annihilate Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship. I am still picking the Sooners namely because of the QB.

31 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Agree just don't wanna count on that. Winner has inside track of a playoff spot . If ou loses then a one loss team might leap them. A two loss Texas team has no shot unless for some reason they just annihilate Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship. I am still picking the Sooners namely because of the QB.

If you're making your pick based solely on the QB, then you're picking the wrong team. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

If you're making your pick based solely on the QB, then you're picking the wrong team. 

Well Texas defense is still hurt . Both qb are good but you can't say hurts isn't better. Come on . I am not knocking Sam at all but jalen is the real deal. 

• LOL! 1
  • Stinks 1

1 minute ago, Champ1000 said:

Well Texas defense is still hurt . Both qb are good but you can't say hurts isn't better. Come on . I am not knocking Sam at all but jalen is the real deal. 

Actually, I can. 

The fact is, there are certain programs where QB's stats are inflated, and misleading....Baylor, Texas Tech, Washington State (under Leach), OU. And I believe the fact that we have 2 years worth of stats on Hurts at Alabama to compare, helps show that. He lost his job to Tua for a reason. And in Tua's first year, playing in the same system, with the same coaches, against the same competition, he obliterated anything Hurts did as the starter there. Now, all of a sudden, Hurts is putting up the same numbers we've seen every other QB in the OU offense put up, and I'm supposed to jump on board in believing it's because he's the best QB in college football? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Actually, I can. 

The fact is, there are certain programs where QB's stats are inflated, and misleading....Baylor, Texas Tech, Washington State (under Leach), OU. And I believe the fact that we have 2 years worth of stats on Hurts at Alabama to compare, helps show that. He lost his job to Tua for a reason. And in Tua's first year, playing in the same system, with the same coaches, against the same competition, he obliterated anything Hurts did as the starter there. Now, all of a sudden, Hurts is putting up the same numbers we've seen every other QB in the OU offense put up, and I'm supposed to jump on board in believing it's because he's the best QB in college football? 

I can see that. I believe both are good . I would be suprised if this isn't a lower scoring game. 

54 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Actually, I can. 

I think Sam is more clutch, but there isn’t anything sam does or can do that hurts can’t. They are both really good college QBs. 

Gun to my head today I’m taking Sam, but it’s close.