MavGrad's Week 7 Preview (2019)

Coach Rab

2 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I think Sam is more clutch, but there isn’t anything sam does or can do that hurts can’t. They are both really good college QBs. 

Gun to my head today I’m taking Sam, but it’s close. 

When you talk about great QB's, QB's that lead, you often hear people talking about that 'it' factor. I think Sam has that. Thinking back to something you said yesterday, about how the Texas offense goes as Sam goes. I agree. I don't believe the same is true for Hurts.That reason, more than any other, is why I would take Sam first, and not even hesitate. 

13 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

When you talk about great QB's, QB's that lead, you often hear people talking about that 'it' factor. I think Sam has that. Thinking back to something you said yesterday, about how the Texas offense goes as Sam goes. I agree. I don't believe the same is true for Hurts.That reason, more than any other, is why I would take Sam first, and not even hesitate. 

This right here.  Texas' football languished for some time because of lack of team leadership.  The QB is typically the face of the team and by default is, or should be, the leader of the team.  Since VY and Colt there never was a QB that had the leadership ability that Ehlinger has to get the most out of the players.  Granted coaching has an impact as well on the overall team results but there is just something about having a peer driving you as well to get every ounce of effort out of you.

OU has hardly missed a beat between Mayfield, Murray, and Hurt.  You cannot tell me that Hurt brings an inordinate amount of leadership to the team to get their results.  Mayfield may have lifted others up a bit with his shenanigans. Murray?  I see no leadership in him.  Their results are more system related.

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

I can respect that view. I could also argue though that Hurts could do the same thing in Austin. Just because he doesn’t have to be everything at ou that Sam is at Texas, doesn’t mean he can’t be. But we will never know because that’s not the way it is so debate on it is just opinions. I’m not trying to take away how good sam is by saying hurts id equally as good. I just think Hurts is capable of doing what Sam is doing if his team needed him to the way Sams does. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

This right here.  Texas' football languished for some time because of lack of team leadership.  The QB is typically the face of the team and by default is, or should be, the leader of the team.  Since VY and Colt there never was a QB that had the leadership ability that Ehlinger has to get the most out of the players.  Granted coaching has an impact as well on the overall team results but there is just something about having a peer driving you as well to get every ounce of effort out of you.

OU has hardly missed a beat between Mayfield, Murray, and Hurt.  You cannot tell me that Hurt brings an inordinate amount of leadership to the team to get their results.  Mayfield may have lifted others up a bit with his shenanigans. Murray?  I see no leadership in him.  Their results are more system related.

That statement is false. From day one the thing that everybody associated with the Oklahoma football team has said about Hurts has been about leadership.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

That statement is false. From day one the thing that everybody associated with the Oklahoma football team has said about Hurts has been about leadership.

I agree. The guy is a leader. Always has been. You don’t start for Nick Saban as a freshman without being a leader. Both Sam and Jalen are good leaders. I do not believe Sam is a better leader, I just think the team around him isn’t as strong so from an outsiders view he has to do more, but both are tremendous players and leaders. 

18 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

In context, I do not believe that the leadership that Hurts brings to the Sooners has the comparable impact that the leadership Ehlinger brings to the table for the Horns.

1 minute ago, WETSU said:

I agree. The guy is a leader. Always has been. You don’t start for Nick Saban as a freshman without being a leader. Both Sam and Jalen are good leaders. I do not believe Sam is a better leader, I just think the team around him isn’t as strong so from an outsiders view he has to do more, but both are tremendous players and leaders. 

Sam seems to inspire and elevate the Texas offense. He looks and represents the horns very well. They would be far worse without him. I can't say the same for Oklahoma.

3 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

Sam seems to inspire and elevate the Texas offense. He looks and represents the horns very well. They would be far worse without him. I can't say the same for Oklahoma.

Just because ou has a better coach/system with better talent around him and he doesn’t have to be absolutely everything for his team, doesn’t mean Hurts is incapable of doing what Sam does... I have zero doubt Hurts could do what Sam is doing at Texas right now if the tables were reversed. 

3 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

In context, I do not believe that the leadership that Hurts brings to the Sooners has the comparable impact that the leadership Ehlinger brings to the table for the Horns.

See above, but just because it isn’t needed doesn’t mean he’s not capable of it. Sam is Texas right now. The running game is not great, the defense is giving up points, and Sam is putting the team on his back because he can and it’s needed. He’s the focal point of every media attention Texas gets because of it: We do not know if Hurts could or couldn’t do that because the situation isn’t the same. Ou has been top 5 for 3 years now. They have a better HC imo and the team doesn’t always need Hurts to be the media attention guy. Just because the media is talking about Sam being a certain way and not Hurts doesn’t mean Hurts isn’t doing all the same things. Sam is just getting the attention for it because A he is all Texas is really doing well right now, and B he’s leading Texas back to relevance where OU was already there Jalen is just taking over: it makes a difference but it doesn’t mean Jalen isn’t capable or as good of leader just because you don’t here about it the way you do with Sam. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Just because ou has a better coach/system with better talent around him and he doesn’t have to be absolutely everything for his team, doesn’t mean Hurts is incapable of doing what Sam does... I have zero doubt Hurts could do what Sam is doing at Texas right now if the tables were reversed. 

I don't think you give enough credit for Texas. I do not mean that in a bad way but success starts by building the program up. If you got the qb you won half the battle. Looks promising in Austin.

11 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

I don't think you give enough credit for Texas. I do not mean that in a bad way but success starts by building the program up. If you got the qb you won half the battle. Looks promising in Austin.

It absolutely looks promising in Austin. I’m not trying to take away from them improving. But what I’m saying is Texas still is building. The defense is giving up points and the running game isn’t great. That’s not me blasting Texas it’s just the truth. Honest Texas fans can admit that this team is very dependent on Sam and they are a much different team without him. 

But that doesn’t mean he’s just a better leader than Jalen, it just means they don’t have as good of team around him at this point as ou does around Jalen. I also think Lincoln Riley is the best offensive coach in football and that helps take some of the pressure off the qb. 

17 minutes ago, WETSU said:

The defense is giving up points and the running game isn’t great.

Running game is just fine.  Ingram and Johnson are averaging just under 5 yards per carry (4.7 and 4.9) and Sam isn't having to run a bunch on designed runs.

Sure 31 points against WVU looks bad on paper, but 14 came at the end with the game decided and 2nd/3rd string in, or in the secondary's case 3rd/4th string.

7 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

Running game is just fine.  Ingram and Johnson are averaging just under 5 yards per carry (4.7 and 4.9) and Sam isn't having to run a bunch on designed runs.

Sure 31 points against WVU looks bad on paper, but 14 came at the end with the game decided and 2nd/3rd string in, or in the secondary's case 3rd/4th string.

This is the best thing about the run game this year. 

Time on my hands.  The Texas defense is by no means elite, but it's not as bad as being made out to be.  133 points given up on the year, but over half of this (70) has been given up in the 4th quarter.  14 to La Tech when Texas was up 40 or whatever to 0 with the backups in.  13 to Rice with the game over and backups in.  7 to Oklahoma State due to a muffed punt.  14 to WVU with game in hand and 2nd/3rd string in.  Yeah the LSU game they stunk in the 4th when one stop probably wins/ties it.  Texas is also near the top in turnovers.  So yes, they aren't a top 20/elite or whatever defense, but they aren't as terrible as some are making it out to be.

• Like 3