Week Eight: Longview vs Rockwall Heath

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (6-0) vs Rockwall Heaths (3-4)  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Rockwall Heath in a close one
    • Rockwall Heath in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/19/2019 at 12:00 AM

longview.pngrockwallheath.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (6-0, 2-0) VS ROCKWALL HEATH HAWKS (3-4, 0-3)

DATE: Friday, October 18th, 2019
TIME: 7:30 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
ROCKWALL HEATH BROADCAST: Sportsgram.net

longview.pngLOBOS LEAD SERIES 5-0-0 longview.png

The two schools have never played a non-district contest.
The Lobos have a 5-0 when the game is a district contest.
The two schools have never played a playoff contest.
The two schools have never played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 2-0 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The Lobos have a 3-0 lead when the game is played at Rockwall.
Longview has won the last five meetings with the Yellowjackets.
Longview is 2-0 all-time against Rockwall at Lobo Stadium, with the Lobos winning the last two meetings there.
The two schools have never played on October 18th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
10.19.2018 - Longview 48, Rockwall Heath 10 - Wilkerson-Sanders Memorial Stadium
11.03.2017 - Longview 49, Rockwall Heath 7 - Lobo Stadium
10.28.2016 - Longview 35, Rockwall Heath 21 - Wilkerson-Sanders Memorial Stadium
10.11.2013 - Longview 42, Rockwall Heath 10 - Wilkerson-Sanders Memorial Stadium
10.12.2012 - Longview 52, Rockwall Heath 27 - Lobo Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
A near miss on a 21-year old school record was the headline for the Longview Lobos in Week 7 of the 2019 Texas High School Football season. For the fifth time this season, it was the Kaden Meredith show as Longview returned to E.H. Hanby Stadium for the first of three contests there in the next five weeks. Kaden Meredith racked up four touchdowns and 354 yards, coming just shy of Fred Talley's 387 rushing yards in a single game that Talley set in his final game as a Lobo down in Nacogdoches back in 1998. Kaden Meredith's career day led to a 44-20 victory over Mesquite Horn, their first over the Jaguars in Mesquite since 2011. This was the first time the Lobos had visited Mesquite Horn since their last regular season loss back in September of 2017. Since then, including the victory over the Jags this season, Longview has reeled off a 32-1 overall record. Longview has won 22 wins in a row overall, 22 regular season victories and 14 district victories in a row. Longview's 22 wins overall is the most in school history. Longview's 22 regular season wins in a row is second most in school history (29 is the record set from 1975 to 1977). And Longview's 14 district wins in a row sits 5th in school history, but with four more wins to end the regular season this year, they can tie the second longest school record (school record is 36 set from 2004 to 2010). With the win, the Lobos improved to 2-0..sitting atop 11-6A along with fellow East Texas rival, Tyler Lee (5-1, 2-0), who had a bye this week. Longview now returns home to face on the Rockwall Heath Hawks, who have struggled since starting the season 3-0. The Hawks (3-4, 0-3) fell to their cross town rivals the Yellowjackets of Rockwall 38-17 this week, and sit on the edge of being eliminated from post season contention. However, the Hawks have been in all three games. They led Tyler Lee before a last minute drive by the Red Raiders brought home the win. They battled back and forth with Mesquite, but a late score by the Skeeters pushed it to a two score Mesquite win. Mike Spradlin had his Hawks flying, dominating three straight opponents in non-district, before McKinney North tore of the Hawk defense and the Heath season has come to a crashing halt. Heath returns to Longview for the third time in their young history. Their first meeting, in 2012, Longview jumped out to a 49-6 lead on the Hawks before halftime. Heath attempted a mini come back in the second half, but the Lobos rolled to a 52-27 win. In their last visit, the Heath Hawks actually grabbed a 7-0 lead after the first quarter. Longview woke up on the first play of the second quarter and it led the Lobos to a dominating 49-7 win. 

WEEK EIGHT 11-6A SCHEDULE:
Longview vs Rockwall Heath (Lobo Stadium)
Rockwall vs North Mesquite (Wilkerson-Sanders Memorial Stadium)
Mesquite vs Tyler Lee (E.H. Hanby Stadium)
Mesquite Horn BYE WEEK

WEEK SEVEN 11-6A RESULTS:
Longview 44 Mesquite Horn 20
Mesquite 45 North Mesquite 10
Rockwall 38 Rockwall Heath 17
Tyler Lee BYE WEEK

DISTRICT 11-6A STANDINGS
1st. Longview (6-0, 2-0)
2nd. Tyler Lee (5-1, 2-0)
3rd. Mesquite (6-1, 2-1)
4th. Rockwall (5-2, 2-1)
5th. Mesquite Horn (2-5, 1-2)
6th. North Mesquite (2-4, 0-2)
7th. Rockwall Heath (3-4, 0-3)

DISTRICT 12-6A OVERVIEW
This Week -  Killeen Harker Heights defeated Waco, 31-21. Killeen Shoemaker defeated Killeen Ellison, 29-28. Temple defeated Killeen, 56-27. Waco Midway defeated Copperas Cove, 42-20.
Last Week - Killeen host Belton. Killeen Ellison hosts Temple. Waco Midway hosts Killeen Harker Heights. Waco hosts Killeen Shoemaker.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 6-0 (2-0)
District: 11-6A
Coach: John King (174-36 in 16 seasons) (Playoffs: 40-14)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 735-345-52 (Playoffs: 69-41-1)
Playoff Appearances: 44
Last Playoff Appearance: 2018, 6A Division II State Championship
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.30 - at Lufkin - Win 24-21
09.06 - vs Marshall - Win 53-0
09.13 - at John Tyler - Win 42-0
09.20 - West Monroe (In Shreveport) - Win 17-7
09.27 - vs Rockwall - Win 49-3
10.11 - at Mesquite Horn - Win 44-20
10.18 - vs Rockwall Heath
10.25 - at North Mesquite
11.01 - vs Tyler Lee
11.08 - at Mesquite

ROCKWALL HEATH HAWKS
Record: 3-4 (0-3)
District: 11-6A
Coach: Mike Spradlin (3-4 in 1 season) (Playoffs: 0-0)
First Year of Football: 2006
All-Time Record: 88-57-0 (Playoffs: 8-7)
Playoff Appearances: 7
Last Playoff Appearance: 2017, 6A Division II Bi-District Round
State Championships (0): None
State Championship Appearances (0): None
SCHEDULE:
08.29 - vs Keller Timber Creek - Win 38-10
09.06 - vs Wylie - Win 44-41 (2OT)
09.13 - at Richland - Win 47-18
09.19 - at McKinney North - Loss 56-34
09.27 - vs Tyler Lee - Loss 39-34
10.04 - at Mesquite - Loss 49-39
10.11 - v. Rockwall - Loss 38-17
10.18 - at Longview
10.25 - vs Mesquite Horn
11.07 - at North Mesquite

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: October 18th
In 1929, Longview and Mineola battled to a 0-0 tie at the Lobo Athletic Field
In 1935, the Loboes defeated Sulphur Springs at Fair Park in Longview, 6-0.
In 1940, Longview knocked off Texas High, 27-12, at Lobo Stadium.
In 1946, Don Barton tallied three scores and John Rogerson rushed back an 85 yard kickoff return as Longview defeated Henderson, 26-21, at Lobo Stadium. Barton’s last touchdown came late in the 4th quarter on a 64 yard pass reception.
In 1957, Robert Gillock hauled in a 32-yard pass reception in the 4th quarter as Longview defeated Galveston Ball at Lobo Stadium, 6-0.
In 1968, Ralph Blount’s field goal was the only score on the night for the Lobos as Marshall defeated Longview, 20-3, at Lobo Stadium. Four turnovers did the Lobos in on the night.
In 1974, Ricky Watts hauled in two pass receptions for a score, and Thomas Cook took back an interception 60 yards for a tally as Longview defeated John Tyler, 29-7, at Rose Stadium.
In 1980, Nathan Harris, Ronnie Hunter and Gahlen Johnson each brought in scores for the Lobos as Longview shut out Tyler Lee, 24-0, at Rose Stadium.
In 1985, Tommie Taylor, Thomas Stauts and Brian Williams scored first half touchdowns before Jason Baird added a second half field goal as the Lobos defeated Lufkin, 24-10, at Abe Martin Stadium.
In 1991, Andre Davis tallied five touchdowns on the night and Amond Hutchings scored another two in the 4th as Longview blew out Nacogdoches, 59-6, at Lobo Stadium. The Dragons’ only score on the night came on a blocked punt in the second quarter. The Lobos rallied up 21 first downs and 361 rushing yards on the night.
In 1996, Longview trailed 21-6 midway through the 4th quarter before Fred Talley tallied two scores, including one in the final minute, sending the game to overtime. Longview’s Jay Hurst would rush in from three yards out in the second overtime to seal the win, 35-28, over the Tyler Lee Red Raiders at Rose Stadium.
In 2002, Longview took a 12-10 lead into the 4th quarter, behind Fred Hawkins and Joel Armstrong first half scores, against the defending state champions before Lufkin woke up in the 4th and rolled to a 23-12 win over the Lobos at Lobo Stadium.
In 2013, the Lobos rushed for 338 yards and compiled 501 total yards in a 49-30 beat down of Mesquite Horn at Lobo Stadium. Dezmond Chumley rushed for one score and threw for another three in the victory.

lobohowl2.GIF

I'm hoping we can use this one to get our passing game going. 

We know Kaden is going to dice them up quite a bit. 

Heath hung strong with Rockwall, and easily could've beaten Lee and/or Mesquite if one bounce went their way. They led Lee really late, so I don't buy much on their 3-4/0-3 record. This is a much better squad than last season (I believe the entire district is better tbh). 

8 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I'm hoping we can use this one to get our passing game going. 

We know Kaden is going to dice them up quite a bit. 

Heath hung strong with Rockwall, and easily could've beaten Lee and/or Mesquite if one bounce went their way. They led Lee really late, so I don't buy much on their 3-4/0-3 record. This is a much better squad than last season (I believe the entire district is better tbh). 

Gotta get the frosh in now. It's obvious the issues with drops aren't going away. Need someone who's gonna come down with the ball. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think we all did exactly what Coach King was preaching for his players not to do.   We looked at the common opponent scores and said blowout with no challenge at all.  During the game that old Longview fan mentality crept back in for lots of fans.   Bottom line is every game will be different and we are not the same team as last year.  Things are not clicking yet like we expected, especially with the passing game and penalties.  I hope we get it going.   Sometimes Haynes misses the throws, then he hits them, and the receivers drop a few.  It’s hard to get in sync when that happens, and it happens every game so far.  Everybody in that group has things to correct.   Will it happen, I hope so.  Without it I don’t see up repeating.   At some point in the playoffs you have to be able to run and pass and impose you will on the other team.  We can’t do that yet.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AKA said:

Gotta get the frosh in now. It's obvious the issues with drops aren't going away. Need someone who's gonna come down with the ball. 

I'm all for it. 

He'll be WR1 next season as a sophomore anyway. At least have em in heavy rotation, which he has been since Rockwall week.

Honestly think he has best hands in the program, something I thought a certain 3 year varsity vet, 2 year returning starting SR would have.

I do still think its only a matter of time before they take off. Just too much experience and talent man. We can't forget that Kearbey, Braden and Moore played pivotal parts in last years' receiving core.

Now, we've seen Moore produce and when he's catching the ball....its beautiful. Braden also getting back to himself.

But outside of blocking, Kearbey just hasn't been the player that he's capable of being so far this year. When/if he ever turns on...Watch out.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Official stats out push Hayden down to 333, and total for team down to 663

I'm going with the DMN stats for the Horn game for what it's worth as the official stats. Knowing who did them, and I trust them more than whoever has been doing the Longview official stats this season..cause they've been all over the place. 

It sounds like Heath has a stellar sophomore QB back there leading their team. Hopefully our D can cause some issues for them. 

5 hours ago, ANTI said:

I'm all for it. 

He'll be WR1 next season as a sophomore anyway. At least have em in heavy rotation, which he has been since Rockwall week.

Honestly think he has best hands in the program, something I thought a certain 3 year varsity vet, 2 year returning starting SR would have.

I do still think its only a matter of time before they take off. Just too much experience and talent man. We can't forget that Kearbey, Braden and Moore played pivotal parts in last years' receiving core.

Now, we've seen Moore produce and when he's catching the ball....its beautiful. Braden also getting back to himself.

But outside of blocking, Kearbey just hasn't been the player that he's capable of being so far this year. When/if he ever turns on...Watch out

May be also we had perry everyone was keying on giving them more looks  now their #1 and#2 not as productive so far