Week 8: Marshall (3-3) Vs. Jacksonville (1-5)

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs. Jacksonville  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Jax in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Jax in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

This poll is closed to new votes

This is a big game for the Mavericks as they look to remain in a tie for first place with Pine Tree and/or Whitehouse.  PT faces Nac, while Whitehouse takes on Lindale.

The Mavs will be travelling to the historic (and newly renovated) Tomato Bowl.  It will be Marshall's first visit to the Reservation since 2012.

Marshall enters the game (3-0) in district play and (3-3) on the season.  Their three losses have come against teams that are currently a combined (17-1) on the season.

It appears that the Mavericks have found their QB after losing their three year starter after the Tyler Lee game. Savion Williams is a University of Arkansas commit for his Wide Receiver skills, but was used at QB in shared duties Vs. Carthage.  He has been the starter since district play.

Williams has started the last three games under center and has gone 22-39 for for 553 yards through the air.  He's also added another 392 by ground for a total of 12 scores.

Jr. Dominique Williams has also toted the rock for 362 yards on 78 carries.

Joe Jordan also has 315 yards on 37 carries

Demarcus WIlliams is the leading Mav WR with 323 yards and three scores.

Lyric Rawls has 237 yards receiving, also with three scores. 

Marshall has rushed for 1,267 yards thus far this season and tossed for 709.

The Mavs have four WRs with over 100 yards receiving.  

The Mavs have had over 500 yards of offense in all three of their district games thus far, scoring 49, 47, and 40 points respectively. 

-------------

Marshall and Jacksonville first met in 1916 and last played in 2018.  The Mavs lead the overall series (15-6).  

The Tomato Bowl opened in 1940, the Mavericks first played there in 1942, winning 12-7.  It would be 62 years before Marshall would return to Jacksonville in 2004.  Jacksonville won that game 20-16.  

The Mavs are (2-4) overall at the Tomato Bowl.  (1-4) since 2004. 

----------

Going to try and get some more stats and a little more history posted.  But wanted to get the thread started.

GO MAVS GO!

Good stuff, Mav, thanks!

What's interesting about that 2004 game JAX win over Marshall at TB is that this 5A district was incredible that year . . . probably the best run by one district I can remember. Kilgore won the state championship in Div 2, Marshall went to the 5A-D1 finals (and SHOULD have won that game, statistically it wasn't even close), and JAX got beat by LaMarque in the 3rd round in the last seconds when they went for two and got it.

56 minutes ago, Matt said:

Good stuff, Mav, thanks!

What's interesting about that 2004 game JAX win over Marshall at TB is that this 5A district was incredible that year . . . probably the best run by one district I can remember. Kilgore won the state championship in Div 2, Marshall went to the 5A-D1 finals (and SHOULD have won that game, statistically it wasn't even close), and JAX got beat by LaMarque in the 3rd round in the last seconds when they went for two and got it.

I miss those old times

Very excited to see the new digs for Jacksonville. 

Based on the photos I've seen..... Jax has gone from one of the absolutely worst stadiums in East Texas to one of the best.  That's a lot to be proud of.

Our record at the Tomato Bowl is unsettling to me.  We've had some very good Mav teams go down there and struggle.  I've seen some bad Marshall teams go down there and get stomped (2012).

Since 2004.... several of the Marshall-Jax games have been close.  Some of them classics.

2004:  Jax won 20-16 (Tomato Bowl)
2005:  Marshall won 24-13 (Mav Stadium)
2006:  Jax won 35-28 (Tomato Bowl)
2007:  Marshall won 55-14 (Mav Stadium)
2008:  Marshall won 19-3 (only win at Tomato Bowl)
2009:  Jax won 35-27 (Mav Stadium)
2010:  Jax won 30-27 (Tomato Bowl)
2011:  Jax won 38-50 (Mav Stadium)
2012:  Jax won 40-7 (Tomato Bowl)
2013:  Marshall won 35-28 (Mav Stadium)
2018: Marshall won 38-0 (Mav Stadium)

Jax leads the series (6-5) since 2004.  Five of the 11 games have been decided by 1 possession or less.  Jacksonville with one blowout win, Marshall with two.  Each has a win in the 2 possession range.

That 2009 game REALLY stands out in my memory.  Jax was leading 28-27 late in the game at Maverick Stadium.  Marshall was driving and looked to be getting ready for a last minute  victory.  Until..... PICK SIX.  Game was over at that point with the 35-27 lead.  That was a TOUGH pill to swallow.  Marshall went on to advance to the region semifinals where they lost to Denison. 

2010 was another one that stands out.  Was a close back and forth game all night at the Tomato Bowl.  Game was tied 27-27 late.  Indians went for a long FG....missed it.  They called roughing the kicker on Marshall.  Kicked again....good.  Indians took the 30-27 win.  Not going to say it wasn't rough the kicker (it wasn't...lmao)....but the kicker put on an emmy award-winning performance to sell it (jjjkkk).

Programs have kind of gone in opposite directions since 2012.

Expecting a good tough game Friday.

• Like 1

Mavs have won 21 straight district games dating back to 2016.

They are:
(16-0) since 2017
(21-1) since 2016 (loss to Texas High)
(27-2) since 2015
(31-5) since 2014
(34-8) since 2013

But we are getting to the meat of the schedule.

1.  Gotta win at the Tomato Bowl....something we've historically struggled to do
2.  Can NOT overlook a desperate Nac team
3.  Gotta beat WH (and likely the zebras too) at WH
4.  Pine Tree could potentially be coming to town in the season finale for the district championship.

But....the Indians are next.  Can't underestimate them.

For Marshall to continue wins they have got to find a way to eliminate stupid penalties. I call them that because so many are being committed after the play, or completely away from the action at the ball. These are mental mistakes and the coaching staff has got to drive this home. They have got to become a disciplined team. At times they show signs of brilliance then they throw in a what are we doing play. Team leaders need to bring everyone together. MAVS have come a long way in the face of huge adversity but to get to the next level they must do some soul searching as to what they want this year and go after it 100% on every play executed to perfection! They have the talent but need their want to fixed. As usual GO MAVS!

There's no doubt we are improving.   The coaching staff has done a great job in shuffling people around and putting them in the best places.  

But there's also no doubt we have some things that are haunting us:

Penalties
PAT's
FG's

I dunno if our regular kicker will be back this season.  But it's obvious we are missing him.  We've missed a LOT of PAT's this season.  It hasn't cost us a game this season....but it's disturbing.  1-2 points can cost you.  Remember how last season ended (35-34) in the region semis?  Every.  Point.  Counts.

The offense has been a work in progress ever since we lost our QB.  Their improvement and development has been fun to watch TBH.  Savion Williams is really embracing his new role with the team and running with it.  He is a BEAST when he runs the ball.  His short passes have been outstanding.  The long passes are coming around....but not there just yet.  When they start connecting those long passes...LOOK OUT.  WR's are coming around.  Every one of them had a catch Vs. MP. 

The running game with D Williams and Joe in the backfield is really coming around nicely.  Best rushing attack since 2015 I'd venture to say.  Throw in Savion and his QB keepers and it makes it tough on a defense.

O-line still struggles with their blocking at times.  But that was something we knew was going to be an area of needed growth from last season.

Defense....  we're lacking consistency.  We've been giving up a LOT of real estate.  Friday was no exception...MP moved well between the 30's.  But four times we turned them away inside the 30.  Hallsville didn't get much at all.  But Lindale moved the ball pretty well against us too.

It's been fun seeing the team "enjoy the game".  Couldn't say that the first three weeks.  Completely different attitude on the sidelines now.  Been good to see.

I honestly think they underestimated MP last week.  The cold/wet weather didn't help....but it was like they thought MP would roll over and die when they were down early.

Hopefully they learned a lesson.  Once you get a team down.... you don't let up... you put the pedal to the medal and crush it.

Hoping to see more improvement this week.   Expecting a fun game.

REALLY excited about seeing the new Tomato Bowl.

Interesting stats with our first three district games done.  

A comparison from 2018 to 2019 in offensive yards:  

Lindale- 529
Hville- 536
MP- 542
Total: 1607

Lindale- 532
Hville-581
MP- 536
Total: 1649

Not bad for a new QB and all the chaos endured. Especially since last year was the best Offensive statistical season in history.

I watched the "Smoke Signals" video by JHS.

The coach made it no secret that he plans to play "keep away" from Marshall so the Mav offense stays on the sidelines.

It'll be interesting to see how we counterplay that approach.

They are going to try and limit our big play ability by staying on offense.  Our defense will have to keep them from grinding out long, time consuming drives.

Question is... what will their defense do while we have the ball?

Intriguing.

Mavs better take this game serious.  I want see them come out firing on all cylinders.... take command and and stay in control.  

Can't wait till Friday!

On 10/12/2019 at 1:02 PM, Mavchamp said:

Very excited to see the new digs for Jacksonville. 

Based on the photos I've seen..... Jax has gone from one of the absolutely worst stadiums in East Texas to one of the best.  That's a lot to be proud of.

Our record at the Tomato Bowl is unsettling to me.  We've had some very good Mav teams go down there and struggle.  I've seen some bad Marshall teams go down there and get stomped (2012).

Since 2004.... several of the Marshall-Jax games have been close.  Some of them classics.

2004:  Jax won 20-16 (Tomato Bowl)
2005:  Marshall won 24-13 (Mav Stadium)
2006:  Jax won 35-28 (Tomato Bowl)
2007:  Marshall won 55-14 (Mav Stadium)
2008:  Marshall won 19-3 (only win at Tomato Bowl)
2009:  Jax won 35-27 (Mav Stadium)
2010:  Jax won 30-27 (Tomato Bowl)
2011:  Jax won 38-50 (Mav Stadium)
2012:  Jax won 40-7 (Tomato Bowl)
2013:  Marshall won 35-28 (Mav Stadium)
2018: Marshall won 38-0 (Mav Stadium)

Jax leads the series (6-5) since 2004.  Five of the 11 games have been decided by 1 possession or less.  Jacksonville with one blowout win, Marshall with two.  Each has a win in the 2 possession range.

Carthage began this season at the Tomato Bowl, & it is very nice indeed, Everthing is new & Modern. Even the parking is at least a little better. Maybe a solution will come one day. 

Interesting stat.....

Varsity, JV, and both 9th grade teams are a total of (8-0) in district play headed into tonight's games.

JV/9th games Vs. Hallsville were all cancelled last week due to severe weather.

Keep it up Mavs!!!

Mav sub-Varsities are now 7-0 in district play. 

Varsity is 3-0 headed into tomorrow’s game. 

Looks like exciting times ahead for Mav fans.  Good stuff.  This staff and these kids are working their tails off. 

see y’all tomorrow night in Jacksonville!